40-man AA squad

Pig's year wasn't that strong IMHO. I wouldn't have had him in the 40 - some very very very good half backs around this year (as always)

Yep, I thought he was more unlucky last year.

Eddie Betts! Really? Burgoyne!
Break, give me one.
Well done to Hooks, and Hepps.
Bags unlucky?

Bags ? Are you kidding lol
He's steady but not an AA .. Please
And you don't watch a lot of hawthorn , don't blame you , but Burgoyne does everything and makes that team work where ever he's playing.
Ryder I highly agree with. Not even top 40. Joke.
If there was a spot for "doing whatever off the bench" I'd agree with you. But there's 25 guys who had better years as midfielders and 8 as half back flanks and half a dozen forwards.
And if you were picking one you'd go McVeigh first, then Hawthorn's first utility (Hodge), then Burgoyne.
They've never picked "Mr Fixits" with good reason (Fletch would have 12 AA guernseys and Hodge about 6).
Crap selection!

The point being Burgoyne May or may not make the final squad but I believe he is best 40 easily

Ryder should clearly be in the squad. The stand out ruck/fwd in the comp without question.

Hooks and Hep are our only real contenders, so happy or see them both named. I reckon Hooker will be named, and Hep would be a good chance for a bench spot.

I don’t think Hibberd had a consistent year. Sandilands and Jacobs were the two outstanding rucks this year, so there was no point picking another ruck in the squad. Bags has been good, but Nick a Smith has hardly had a goal kicked on him in two years, and is the standout backpocket stopper. Watson would have been a certainty if he hadn’t missed so many games.

No problem with Hibberd missing out and I always thought that Bags would take a couple of years to get recognition for the work he does; hopefully he’s in the mix next year.

Ryder is the one that surprises me - I’m not sure if he’s worthy of making the final 22 but he’s definitely in the squad of 40 IMO. If Rance gets in ahead of Hooker I’ll lose my ■■■■. Surprised Libba is named, too.

Ryder should clearly be in the squad. The stand out ruck/fwd in the comp without question.

Lobbe is pretty stiff too.
They only picked two rucks, and both are ahead of Ryder as actual ruckman imo. (not by much though)
But if you were picking a team to play, and one ruckman had to start forward...

I’m not sure why people are complaining about Eddie Betts getting the nod. He’s kicked 50 goals, and been one of the best forward-50 pressure players in the comp.

How did Hanley get overlooked? Was he ineligible because he’s Irish?

meh. 

I'm happy with that. Would have liked Ryder but he was up and down, however he was never up there in the "total hitouts" stat which is where they love to pick rucks from. Next year. 

The selectors are obviously living in the past like you are. Ryder has been one of the most reliable players in the team this year.

I'm happy with that. Would have liked Ryder but he was up and down, however he was never up there in the "total hitouts" stat which is where they love to pick rucks from. Next year. 

The selectors are obviously living in the past like you are. Ryder has been one of the most reliable players in the team this year.

Remove the goggles. This has been his best and most consistent season and he wasn't far(I even called for his for AA before today) but he can be so much better. His form atm is nuts though, he hasn't been like that every game.

And with a low hitout ruckman compared to the rest, it would have been his only chance to get in there.

And I never said he wasn't reliable.

meh. 

Exactly...unless they can pick up the ball with one hand I don't rate them.

Back pockets are out of fashion nowadays anyway.

Like on pants?

The selectors are going to look even more stupid when we win the flag.

Both Hooker and Heppell should make the final team. Paddy is unlucky, but he wouldn't have been in the final team as Jacobs and Sandi have both been outstanding.

I reckon the AA commitee got it bang on. Best side ive seen in years. Paddy unlucky, as is hanley but all in all, a very good side

Ryder's not unlucky.

Not even a bit.

But if Talia's nominated then Hooker should be double-nominated, and Hurley should be at least 1.5 times nominated.

No Hibberd or ryder! Gtfo!

Ryder should have been in. If you are picking a ruckman for the bench, you have to take into consideration how versatile he is.

Plays Ruck, key forward and if needed key defender.

That means you don’t have to worry about about a key tall breaking down, and won’t upset the balance of the team.

Not only that Ryder actually played well enough to be counted All Australian