#42 - James Gwilt

Gwilt is the clear reason we are last on the ladder guys.
Talk about one eyed and bias. I disagree. He's been more than serviceable in the circumstances.

He was 'avin a laff

bruv

Talk about one eyed and bias. I disagree. He's been more than serviceable in the circumstances.

He was 'avin a laff

Maybe we should trade him for Ryan Schoenmakers or Heritier Lamumumba ?

Has anyone asked what David King thinks of Gwilt?

He's played 25 games for our club, for 3 wins.

Of those 22 losses, 10 of them have been by more than 10 goals, and 2 of them have been 100+ point beltings.

Lucky for him, he’s only had to play as an undersized key tall during all of that.

Furthermore, despite the absolute ■■■■-storm of a situation he came into that had nothing to do with him, I don’t reckon I’ve ever seen him drop his head, or give up, or just ‘collect the paycheck’ like some guys in his situation have. So much so, that the coaches put him into the temporary leadership group after only being at the club for 12 months.

He’s been a very solid competitor during our darkest ever time, and he cops WAY too much undeserved sh*t on here.

Luckily he’s come from St Kilda and is used to it. They tell stories about the heady days of the 70s and 80s with Plugger, Burkey, Harvs, Greg Burns, Barker, Jeff Sarau, the Cunninghams etc, that you almost forget they won about 10 wooden spoons in that period.

#standbygwilt

Gwilt has been great for us in a time of need and performed roles he’s not built to do. If he’s on the list next year, its as position 42 of 42 (or whatever number it is) and will only be called upon if we re-employ the “Rodeo Clown” and his cohorts to “boost” the list.
He’d be a long way down the pecking order with the full list of backs available. Same would probably go for Dea if we choose to draft him.

Hurley/Hooker
Bags
Hartley
Hibberd
Francis
Dempsey
Goddard
Ambrose
Gleeson

Have you watched every game this year?If so I question your football judgement. Don't know about you but I have followed the Bombers for over 35 years and expect success not mediocrity. There are so many positives from this year but some players are not up to it. Hams never drafted, Gwilt let go by St Kilda and McKenna from Ireland. So please use LOLs in context.

Yes I have watched every game this year. Your question was, “if these players are so good, why are we on the bottom of the ladder?” If you don’t know why that is, I question your judgement in general.

Gwilt is the only reason we are last on the ladder guys.

Edited for Mega-wall level insight

He's played 25 games for our club, for 3 wins.

Of those 22 losses, 10 of them have been by more than 10 goals, and 2 of them have been 100+ point beltings.

Lucky for him, he’s only had to play as an undersized key tall during all of that.

Furthermore, despite the absolute ■■■■-storm of a situation he came into that had nothing to do with him, I don’t reckon I’ve ever seen him drop his head, or give up, or just ‘collect the paycheck’ like some guys in his situation have. So much so, that the coaches put him into the temporary leadership group after only being at the club for 12 months.

He’s been a very solid competitor during our darkest ever time, and he cops WAY too much undeserved sh*t on here.

Has wonderful hair too.

He’s played 25 games for our club, for 3 wins.

Has been serviceable in diabollockal circumstances. For that he wins my respect. Week after week he has taken on the big assignments, with mixed results. Reminds me of when Sheedy decided to bulk up Dean Solomon to make him a genuine KPD. It didn’t work then simply because Solly was not big enough to handle the gorilla KPFs that were running around at that time. It seems to me that we are asking Gwilt to take on something similar, huge tasks, week in, week out, as we have a lack of options at the moment. This should change next season. l wouldn’t say he is a walk start for round 1 next year as many others will be pushing hard for his spot, and l count that as a good thing.

Shouldnt be on the list next season

I don’t know about that. I wouldn’t care too much if he went around again. Having said that if we’re playing him without a plethora of injuries to other players then we have real problems.

Upgrade??

Isn’t he a top up?

Ha! Some people are funny. Gwilt is a very good footballer and the club are lucky to have him, especially at this time. Has all the qualities you'd expect from a defender and his long penetrating kicks are a weapon. 19 possessions at a disposal efficiency of 89% against the Saints says he's one of the better users of the ball. Hope the bloke is playing for Essendon again next year.

LOL

Just imagine a non EFC supporter trawling Blitz and coming across this post.

Let’s get real. He’s OK. Sometimes he’s better than that, sometimes a LOT worse. Been made to look pretty poor at times this year under ■■■■■■ circumstances where he’s had to take on tasks he should never be within a country mile of. He’s honest. And we should be looking to upgrade ASAP.

Ha! Some people are funny. Gwilt is a very good footballer and the club are lucky to have him, especially at this time. Has all the qualities you'd expect from a defender and his long penetrating kicks are a weapon. 19 possessions at a disposal efficiency of 89% against the Saints says he's one of the better users of the ball. Hope the bloke is playing for Essendon again next year.

See this is Bomberblitz to a tee.

I agree with the sentiment that he has been important for us in our hour of need in these weird a.rse circumstances we are in. I agree that he has provided us with experience in the back half of the ground. I have defended him on here and defs not ‘a hater’.

But can we at least be real with ourselves?
He is a solid footballer. Honest campaigner. I suppose these things are all relative but to describe him as a very good footballer, especially at this stage of his career, is a real stretch.

But say some gushing over the top comment about a mediocre player and everyone eats it up haha. Love it.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
James Gwilt 191cm/96kg/28yrs

Disposals: 13 (5k, 8h) (1cont/12 ucont)
Efficiency: 100%
Score involvements: 4
Marks: 3
Tackles: 2
Clangers: 1
I50: 1
FK for/against: 0/1

Really liked his game.

How was he at 100% efficiency if he had a clanger?

Free against is a clanger.

Aha, groovy.

I thought he was ok. Fletch wasn’t crash hot last week either.

Quoted Post
Wasn't sure why we drafted him and I still aren't sure. Is prefer Demps and then Stein. It's only round two though so id love to be proven wrong.
..... Might I remind everyone of what happened when we were forced to play Steinberg as our back up tall in the EF last year? Got ripped apart by Brown ffs. Again I would agree that Gwilt was one of our worst, if not our worst, but IF he was our worst then it shows how far we have come as a team because he wasn't deplorable.
I said it at the time, and I'll keep saying it so that the record is fair. This is rubbish. Steinberg didn't do badly against Brown, most of that is a myth because Brown ended up on the end of a few goals. Someone always does when the midfield pressure drops.
There was one goal where Gwilt led Gunston to the ball, but it bounced perfectly over his head. I wouldn't blame him for that one.
That was a shocking piece of luck. A Hawthorn colleague today was saying how having Gibson & Mitchell might make the difference. I pointed out that goal and Carlisle having his head ripped off for no free as examples that evened the ledger.
Quoted Post
Didn't know a thing about him before we signed him so was open minded.

So far, not impressed. Happy for him to cover when Fletch isn’t playing. Problem is Fletch is done at the end of the year (yeah, yeah) and Gwilt is not great (especially given how good our backline is), not getting any better and aging and we have no-one waiting in the wings. Stein? That’s it. Ashby probably the closest but not lock down enough… so what else? Need to address this unless Langford is to play back.

There is also Pears
LOL!

:frowning:

Quoted Post
Hirdy watched money ball whilst in Paris
Did he make it to the end where they lose in the post-season?
Anyone who focusses on that missed the point of the moneyball concept.