#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - WALLA MACCA TIPPA - joining Tiwi Bombers

To be fair, so did most of the team.

2 Likes

Agreed, we go in a player lighter (no pun intended) if we play him round 1

And weā€™re still debating and thinking heā€™ll probably play :joy:

If Walla plays heā€™ll likely kick a few in the first half.
All up and about. Stay the distance unsure. Then Menzie kicks a few 2nd half. Team on a high and 2MP clunking and goaling. Weiderman chipping in. Who knows what Alwyn does.
Letā€™s go in positive and dissect later. Big Sammy might even kick goal of the year again. Hawthorn wonā€™t want Voss in. Bring.
CANā€™T WAIT!!!?

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if heā€™ll play seniors or not. He didnā€™t look ready in the practice games.

Having said that, I know who Iā€™d rather coach against out of him and Snelling, with due respect to Snelling.

My heart says play him when heā€™s ready, and I think thatā€™s not yet, but I could be wrong. My gut feels as though he will play this week.

1 Like

Us selecting him wonā€™t prove anyone wrong who is claiming that he isnā€™t at the required fitness level to play 4 quarters of footy at AFL level. To assert as such would be comparable to saying the club always makes the right decisions.

I think weā€™ll play him but I donā€™t believe we should as itā€™s pretty evident that heā€™s not where he needs to be yet. And thatā€™s completely ok, he is coming from a long way back, itā€™s not a slight on him. He should be given a few games in the VFL at least from what Iā€™ve seen.

Of course some of that is ā€œguessworkā€ if you like, by looking at how he covered the ground in the 2 practice games and also the visuals of the condition heā€™s in.

I suspect we pick him and he might do the odd thing on talent (of which he has plenty) but that he will not be able to run defensively and offensively at the intensity needed for 4 quarters of footy.

If he does get picked I obviously hope myself and others have misread the situation and heā€™s at a fitness level that is consistent with the high standards we are purporting to uphold under this new regime and that he goes well.

1 Like

Just look at him!

1 Like

Pretty evident? Based on what? Just your perception based on photos or a training session youā€™ve seen?

If he is picked he wonā€™t be miles off fitness wise. He wonā€™t be Lachie Neale but he doesnā€™t need to be.
If thatā€™s the only thing that matters he would have been running laps and nothing else at training.
The club has prepared him to play AFL footy and Iā€™m backing the club.

1 Like

That, and he didnā€™t get near it when he played. When the senior coach says ā€œif youā€™re not fit, you wonā€™t playā€, and then you potentially select a bloke who is badly out of condition, that doesnā€™t send a great message to the rest of the playing group. Heā€™s still got a way to go. We have enough small forward options that can play right at the moment that we can afford to play him in the VFL for a solid 3-4 weeks, get him fully match fit, trim down a bit more and once heā€™s ready, get him in. Nobody is doubting Wallaā€™s ability at all. The intensity of the season probably will be significant great than match sim or a practice game.

1 Like

A lot of people saying heā€™s not fit and using as evidence a quiet practice match, which he got better in as the game went on. Think it makes more sense to view that performance as someone who hasnā€™t played in 18 months, rather than assuming it was lack of fitness.

2 Likes

This.

I remember coming back from a year off and I was no where near it.

I wasnā€™t anywhere near it before the year off either.

And after a year of being back - I was no closer.

Actually I donā€™t think I was ever near it to be honest.

But this is Walla weā€™re talking about - heā€™ll get a bit closer.

10 Likes

I expect him to make it into the squad for Sunday but, I think Menzie might just beat him into the final team . On the other hand if he plays, it will be great to see him back playing again.

1 Like

What is good is that wherever he is at right now, heā€™s completing every session and no soft tissue issues are cropping up, so heā€™ll be better each week.

18 Likes

Doesnā€™t seem that way!

Brad and the coaches must have felt he wasnā€™t ready yet either hey.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a difference between those that have an opinion and those that know what theyā€™re talking about :joy:

ā€¦

5 Likes

Tippa as sub. I called this over a month ago.

4 Likes

It was a beautiful moment today.

Itā€™s hard to see him getting back to the required fitness, but nice that he was still able to make some memories.

2 Likes

As fans, we need him, we love him.

4 Likes

From AFL.com

Tippaā€™s return adds to positive Bomber vibes

Sundayā€™s contest was well and truly decided before he came onto the ground, but the impact Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti had on this game ā€“ and potentially on Essendonā€™s season ahead - canā€™t be underestimated. Even as their side was racking up the goals, Bombers fans had one eye on the bench as they waited for the cult hero came on as a sub, and his arrival created an electricity in the MCG that charged Essendonā€™s players with more than just energy. Brad Scott has talked about how important it is to welcome ā€˜Wallaā€™ back to the club as part of his desire to fix the damage of the past few years. If Sunday is any indication, the heart and soul of Windy Hill has returned. ā€“ Howard Kimber

00:32

Published 1 hr ago

20 Likes