#46 Mitch Hibberd - big-bodied midfielder

I reckon he’s a sneaky chance to play round 1. Great pick

1 Like

Ive seen him absolutely powering through Kensington running since the vfl season ended. The guy is built like a tank and can move.

Great pick up.

He won’t be a failure through lack of effort

33 Likes

Yep. I’m not sure he’s miles behind Cutler, for example.

Another one who’ll put pressure on Lang/Guelfi/Zaha, another pretty good kick, a decent mover, and size.

(I’m not a huge fan, but I can see the idea)

So I guess they had a plan for that big bodied mid that was going to help next year after all.

Does this mean Dodoro doesn’t have to be sacked?

13 Likes

He’s an outside mid/wing, not an inside distributor.

3 Likes

I thought the Blitz thing that we needed an inside bull?

Not really this guy’s go. Big wingman. Not pure outside, but definitely more that than anything else.

Where do you see him playing? From all reports out of North, he’s an on-baller wasted on the outside or on a flank.

I’d say he’s not really competing with Cutler and Zaka and more so for an inside mid position with Langford.

1 Like

Played inside this year and had a breakout season. He is a lot tougher in the contest than you think. Wingmen don’t average 7 tackles and 4 clearances a game.

20 Likes

Midfielder, Height over 180cm, Weight over 70Kg, WTF happened?

5 Likes

So his biggest weakness as an 18 yo was size and hardness and they’re now a hallmark of his game. He can run and he can kick. What’s the knock?

1 Like

An outside mid/wing that averages 7 tackles a game.

primarily wing/outside, maybe a few stints inside, and maybe a bit of halfback. (Much like Langford and Zaha)

Im a big fan of this pick. Super committed hard worker. Averages 24 possessions a game. 12 contested, 12 uncontested so not a pure inside mid but obviously balanced.

Again, same as last nights recruits a high defensive pressure player and strong tackler.

3 Likes

I think he played much more inside for *Williamstown this year. Looked absolutely comfortable in traffic in the one game I saw him play.

Edited for accuracy - I wrote Werribee for some reason.

4 Likes

Ok, fair enough. I was under the understanding that he’d been drafted as a HBF at North and they’d used him as that outside player, but that at Williamstown he’d been used much more inside. Not necessarily as a clearance beast, but as a “mid”, rather than as a wing, and that since growing into that role he’d become “draftable”. Happy to be corrected on that perception.

3 Likes

I was under the same impression

1 Like

No, that’s about what’s happened. In VFL.
I don’t think that necessarily follows at the next level up, though.

Look at someone like Dylan Clarke, dominates games as an onballer at VFL, he’s a bit part tagger in the AFL. Mutch is similar.

(My opinion, anyway)

1 Like

If he’s getting many games with us next year we’ve had a lot of injuries or are more average than we already appear to be.

5 Likes

If youre making those assumptions, then you have no idea what youre talking about…