#46 Tom “Tuth Jok Jok” Jok - you’re cut

Re the body contact thing, it was overhead that Jordan had to have a chat with him about this at the Footscray game.
So I was looking at this aspect on Saturday- it’s not so much as avoiding it totally, but rather an unwillingness to take a hit for the team -
eg blocking, shepherding, take possession knowing you’ll be crunched ( but at least preventing an opposition take away) or at least laying the tackle from a static position (which hurts)

He’s certainly got some qualities but a game against Collingwood could go two ways - they’ll know his weaknesses & and hit him early & often, or, Jok will decide to prove them wrong and come out breathing fire

Seems like a good Zaka replacement then.

7 Likes

I like the look of this kid
Play him against his old team
He will surprise

Essendon rookie Tom Jok will complete a remarkable rise from amateur football to the AFL when he makes his senior debut against Collingwood at the MCG on Friday night.

Aug 23 2019

7:50PM

Tom Jok will make his AFL debut in Essendon’s clash against Collingwood.Source: Getty Images

Foxsports.com.au can reveal the 22-year-old will replace injured star David Zaharakis for the blockbuster encounter and is expected to play on the wing.

Bombers coach John Worsfold broke the news in a meeting with Essendon’s midfield group on Tuesday, following a strong five-week block in the VFL where Jok has played on a wing and as a second ruck.

Live stream the 2019 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on KAYO SPORTS. Every match of every round. Live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial >

Jok was one of the biggest stars in the Victorian Amateur Football Association with St Kevin’s Old Boys, before earning an opportunity with Collingwood’s VFL side in the second half of 2018.

It was there where the athletic utility put himself on the radar of AFL clubs, earning a pre-season stint at St Kilda. He made headlines by winning the Saints’ 2km time trial ahead of the national draft before Essendon swooped at Pick 8 in last November’s rookie draft.

Tom Jok won St Kilda’s 2km time trial last November.Source: Getty Images

After playing a JLT Community Series game against Carlton at the end of February, Jok has played nine VFL games in his first season at Essendon.

The mature-age rookie has one of the best tanks at The Hangar, with only endurance king Patrick Ambrose faster over 2km during the summer.

Jok was overlooked by all 18 clubs after playing for the Dandenong Stingrays and Vic Country in his draft year, before launching his career by playing an integral role in St Kevin’s back-to-back A-grade premierships in 2017 and 2018.

During his time at the VAFA powerhouse, Jok formed a close bond with former Hawthorn premiership defender Stephen Gilham, who along with several other ex-AFL players helped push his case for a crack at league football.

Tom Jok has played nine games for Essendon’s VFL side.Source: Getty Images

With wingman Zaharakis set to miss the rest of the season after suffering a syndesmosis injury in Essendon’s win over Fremantle last Saturday night, Jok could play a final in just his second game if he does enough to hold his place in Worsfold’s engine room.

The Bombers are set to welcome back All-Australian key defender Cale Hooker and No. 1 ruckman Tom Bellchambers for Friday night’s clash with the Magpies.

27 Likes

Mauritian, not Martian

8 Likes

and the debuts keep coming

Be interesting to see how he goes playing with the seniors, and handles an 80,000 plus crowd.

Here’s hoping Tom Jok has a great first game and gets to sing the song Friday night.

6 Likes

Welcome to the big boys Tom. :joy:

13 Likes

I really hope he puts on a show about pace.

he should just run and run and run all game - wear the crap out of his opponent

3 Likes

I stuck my neck out… lesson learnt haha

Good on the bloke

Wish him the best

6 Likes

Hey it’s still possible (the delisting part). The timing was perfect though.

2 Likes

At EFC we give all our players farewell games. Maybe even Paddy Ryder!

I am excited about his debut :grinning:

Well done Jok

8 Likes

Pies actually have some very hard running winger types in Phillips, WHE and Sidebottom

So at least with Ham and Jok whilst being inexperienced they aren’t going to be blown away fitness wise. Can def hold their own.

4 Likes

Brave move. I hope he does well. I’m not sure he’s ready though.

2 Likes

For the Tom Jok watchers out there, besides his running, what other stand out features of his game should we be looking for?

Strong overhead mark?

Accurate passing on the run?

What?

1 Like

That’s not very nice.

1 Like

Mark Bolton made a 10 year career out of it

3 Likes

The thing that stands out to me is his spacial awareness and handballing skills.

Cool head on his shoulders.

5 Likes

Has a great leap too.

I am excited to see what he can do.

PS: Dear BLITZ, please dont expect too much from him.

4 Likes