#49 Matt Dea

Spots in the 22 are going to be so hard to get this year…love this guy; tough, strong and hard at it. Always plays with heart.

A backline of Dea and Ambrose will always have a 100% crack and will always be hard to beat. May not be the most skilled or flamboyant but will always give 100% to the team.

Easily best 22

Easily best 22

I’ll bet Matt isn’t thinking that way.

A lot of people don't have him in the best 22, but I think he'll start the season on the ground. Good luck to him, he's battled hard.

Easily best 22 with no Hibbit/Hibbort/Hibbord

*Hibbhard

as matt dea goes by
i get a bit stronger

Will surprise a lot of supporters and neutrals when he plays all 25 games next year.

Couldn’t believe how much he improved throughout the year.

Will surprise a lot of supporters and neutrals when he plays all 25 games next year.

Couldn’t believe how much he improved throughout the year.

Straight through to the prelim or does he miss a week with a corky?

He gets a ‘knock to the calf’ after the bye…

Saw him buying a set of pots and pans today. Gettin ready to cook up a storm this season

Mmmm I don’t rate him as much as others. Mainly because he doesn’t have much hurt factor with the ball, which I like in all my small/medium types. With Baguley as our go to small/medium lock down defender I feel like Dea is only in the team if Baguley is not. Without a large element of attacking rebound options in your defensive 50 we run the risk of again not kicking enough goals.

But he is great depth nevertheless who can play a solid role if there are injuries. And is super courageous which you love. Definitely deserves a spot on our list.

1 Like

His footskills are pretty good though which surprised me (maybe this was already a strength?). He had a few howlers early doors in the season, but once his confidence went up he was really kicking the ball well. Can’t see how he will not improve too based on the backline support coming back into the team. I have him in the 22 for round 1.

He’s coming back to you

Not sure what happened over the off-season. Round 23 he gets 27 possessions & 10 marks down back, sign a 2 year contract and now can’t get a spot. Not sure Gleeson is the better option.

2 Likes

He comes in surely.

He’s not

I reckon it’s time to give him a crack next week. Probably at the expense of Gleeson.

Kelly was interviewed last night … said he and Woosher aren’t planning for him to play every game, but to have regular rest weeks. I also think they will rest McGrath every 3/4 games to get him through the full season.

So even outside of injury there should be opportunities for Dea, McKenna, Jerret and even McNiece to have a crack.

1 Like

When was the last time Dea actually played a game though? Not sure I’d bring him in against Carlton after sitting in the stands two weeks in a row.

Thought he played vs Box Hill last week as Stewart was the emergency.