#49 Matt Dea

He’s not our most talented player but you know every week what you’re going to get with Matty and it’s all heart. All teams need players like this. I’d be happy if he played every game this year.

13 Likes

Makes me far, far more comfortable than McNiece. He’s stronger, perhaps not as quick but more reliable overhead and stronger at ground level and doesn’t panic. McNiece has a good kick but only under little pressure otherwise he panics. It’s Dea’s spot until someone better comes along.

Watching the replay I haven’t heaped enough credit on this guy.

Give him a role, shut down player X, and you know 5 or 6 times if it’s his time to go he will…usually without fear for his own safety.

Like McKernan deserves ample opportunity now.

Was solid. Really really solid. If he can keep it up it will be his spot to lose

1 Like

Unlike most of our list, Matt never goes into his shell even when he gets beaten.

3 Likes

Dea has been solid in most of his games at AFL level, not sure why he hasn’t been in recently?

Decent hands too.

Dea is the role player every successful team has. He is as honest as they come. Part of the problem in the past is he has been mismatched on opponents - too small and quick like Eddie or too tall. At least you know what you will get with him. Doesn’t shirk that is for sure.

5 Likes

Dea played a good game. Its useful to contrast him Hooker, BOG, who played on a monster forward and was superb. Hooker with 21 intercepts incl. 6 intercept marks, 4 contested and Dea who unobtrusively racked up 13 intercepts including 5 intercept marks ( no contested) in his 15 disposals. He was playing on a range of smaller forwards such as Dangerfield, Ablett , Crameri and Kelly. The only other defender taking contested marks was Ambrose with 2 out of a total of 8 with 2 intercept marks. Dea is probably competing more with Marty Gleeson as a lightweight medium intercepting defender. As Boot says Deas disposal efficiency ios very good.

In the VFL Dea works in very well with a backline which is stacked with AFL 6 listed players, so they are almost like a complete defensive unit in waiting.

3 Likes

Another good game from Dea. Dependable and stolid. Goes in hard, good in the air, holds his man. He should not be ‘depth’ at this point.

6 Likes

Didn’t notice him much and that is exactly what you need from him.

When you aren’t noticing him, you know he is just doing his job and negating his opponent which he seems to have a great knack for.

Isn’t the slowest, has great dukes, has tidy disposal and is very good 1 v 1. Is the perfect shut down player in your back 6.

1 Like

Stays in for mine, all heart and always gives 100%. Has tidied his decision making up a bit too.

2 Likes

I know people want him to stay in but Hurley is coming back for someone and if not him, then who?

Sadly it will probably be him, and he deserves stay in.

3 Likes

Dea is as honest as they come on the field.

Gives everything. Another good game tonite.

8 Likes

Was excellent and really compliments the backline nicely. Stays in for me

3 Likes

Man Dea is so composed.

I was very, very wrong.

4 Likes

Playing better than Hurley

Most of Dea’s games since he’s joined us have actually been very solid

6 Likes

Hurley was good tonight too

Overall the intensity has ratcheted up a heap. Made all the difference

Does his job and leaves the flashy stuff to the flashy players. Never drop him again.

1 Like