#49 Matt Dea

You have no i-dea.

The only thing Goddard has refused to for do Essendon is retire of his own accord.

4 Likes

Where can I learn more about this @Darli ?

Welcome back Kotter!

Itā€™s actually 5 new players.
Iā€™m assuming you lack the opposable thumb to count that far. (Also assuming your other hand is busy keyboard warrior)

3 Likes

I like Dea and I get what Disco was saying about what he brings to the team.

However Sydney Stack was left on the shelf

would have much preferred him, and a few others before redrafting a player where the position is well and truly covered

5 Likes

By whom?

I actually think we are a bit light on in Deaā€™s position. We have a million running, rebounding defender types but very little of the lockdown role types.

7 Likes

I think pure lockdown defenders weigh us down. Were all about fast ball movement and any time dea or Ambrose have it itā€™s a negative impact on our MO.

Boomer?

We canā€™t have everyone playing loose or attacking. There are times when you need a player to purely shut out an opposition forward

3 Likes

I think i should also add, i love the way dea goes about footy. pure heart. I just donā€™t think we can have too many poor kicks, especially out of defense, and we donā€™t seem to have come up with strategies to cover players like dea or ambrose. If we did have visible strategies to always get it out of their hands and have over lap run from our wicked half back line all the time, iā€™d be very much in favour of them playing in the firsts.

I also think having players that do damage with the ball curbs the forwards youā€™d want to dea to be stopping.

So, good last resort depth but iā€™d rather a team with all of our taller (not tall) defenders than dea and ambrose.

How is he a poor kick?

Heā€™s not a positive impacting kick.

gets ball, cycles it out wide.

Heā€™s not.

Also not true.

Iā€™ll agree heā€™s not a long penetrating kick, but thatā€™s it.

Iā€™d also rather have francis, gleeson, ridley, conor, mcgrath, saad in the team over him.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been big on Stack for most of the year, but him been passed up by all 18 clubs is a good indication that there are some significant off-field issues that he needs to address before he is put on an AFL list

If half the players on our team had balls as big as Matt Dea weā€™d be a far better side. Heā€™s not a flashy player but he always steps up and plays with a real sense of urgency. The amount of times iā€™ve seen him leap backwards into a pack of opposition players and take a mark is crazy. He even knocked himself out in round 19 against Sydney doing it. Hope he stays on for a few more years. Stoked.

13 Likes

If Stack finds a bit of respect and a bit of dedication heā€™ll get taken next year, because the talent is definitely there, but no AFL club is going to take him with the attitude he has displayed so far.