#49 Matt Dea

Similar to Bulldogs they have a deep list that follows the gameplan to the letter.

Compare their list to the modern great sides like Geelong and Hawthorn and you can easily see that they bat far deeper.

Top end talent will win you games but sides that have few weaknesses win flags.

Really happy for the guy. And good list management by the club.

2 Likes

Watching replays, Dea had played well in quite a few games. His disposal and decision making seemed to have improved , whilst retaining his overhead intercepting ability. I think the only reason Dea was delisted was to make way for some younger players like Redman and Ridley, who have more upside. But now we have drafted 4 new project players, thats enough really. Good call to bring Dea back in as a ready made player.

2 Likes

If I can believe Jackets, Dea was always going to retain a spot on the list.
But the way the draft, and trading, now works itā€™s prudent to have an extra list spot to play with.
Bundling late picks to take advantage of opportunities is always a possibility, and you donā€™t know if theyā€™ll be needed til the actual Draft.

If we had gone down this path Iā€™m fairly sure we wouldnā€™t have taken Jok Jok as a rookie, but Dea would still have been redrafted.

1 Like

Dodoro mentioned in one of his interviews (canā€™t remember if it was club site, Fox or Radio) that they wanted the flexibility on the list to get someone in the mid season draft or recruiting window. Iā€™d assume thatā€™s probably based around injury insurance but it may be heā€™s looking at a few players to see how they attack next season & pre season after the disappointment of not getting drafted.

1 Like

The mail is that AFL clubs have a doubt on his application to be a full time professional. Thatā€™s not necessarily the way he plays or the like but the off field things that a professional must do like diet, attitude to training etc. All 18 clubs overlooked him multiple times, even as a bargain basement rookie so there must be something to it. Clubs are quick to sniff these things out these days. I also believe thereā€™s a few clubs watching him now that heā€™s had this disappointment, they want to see if it lights a fire under him and those results will be known by mid next season. The kid needs to knuckle down now and train his butt off to show to everyone (and himself) that he has what it takes. Hope he does because the kid has lots of talent.

Article in a Perth Paper saying that Richmond are considering inviting Stack over- heā€™d live with Harwick & train with the Club. If they like him they could pick him up under the new ā€œyou have til March to get one more ruleā€.

Noooooooooo.

I want us to pick him up next year, we need another S in the team. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Really pleased we picked up Dea. Well done Matty.
Gives 100% each game and is rarely beaten in contests.

2 Likes

The best thing for him would be to sit out the year and prove that he has the discipline to deserve a shot at the big time

Are you suggesting there is a bit of nepotism going on?

It happens at every club no doubt- goes with the territory- but Dea is a good player

1 Like

I love many things about Dea and am glad heā€™s been rookied, but I think this is a stretch when you look at mozzie and his smile, highlight real and the fact we got him from Whorethorne.

Iā€™m stoked heā€™s been rookied given his heart, Iā€™ll be equally stoked if our back 6 doesnā€™t require him - it will mean some of our your kids are getting and holding down the gig.

Heā€™s honest depth though.

4 Likes

You took it literal?

I blame my ex wife - she didnā€™t appreciate sarcasm

3 Likes

Few women understand sarcasm unless they are making the comment

2 Likes

EFA

3 Likes

EFGA

4 Likes

What is that an acronym for? I donā€™t get that either.