4WD Buying

I'm from the good bit of Tasmania, so I hope I never do.

The Ricky Ponting bit?

Not quite the Mean Streets Of Mowbray, no.

Get a diesel jeep grand Cherokee with Quadra lift.

The 20inch wheels probably arent the best if your doing serious off road but only the overland has the 20s.

Seriously take the missus for a test drive and you and her will be sold!

If you are taking young kids bush - Disco. When everything else is bucking and pig rooting like crazy, a Disco still feels like it's on a Sunday drive. That suspension is just unbeatable.  Money to burn, buy a Rangie. Heaps of money to burn, buy me one as well!

Don’t listen to them…

Just get the Jeep SRT 8.

V 8 6.4L Hemi, launch control, 0-100 <5.0

Faster than most sports cars, plus it could go off road if need be.

Own those yummy mummy’s at school drop off

Why precisely do you need a four wheel drive in the first place?

Like mobile phones, they're only for wankers...until you get one.

I just bought an 80s Series Toyota Landcruiser 1994.

Absolutely love it. Tough as nails.

I here they have brought out a new Landcruiser which is smaller than the 200 series that is very very popular.

Toorak Tank

I just bought an 80s Series Toyota Landcruiser 1994.

Absolutely love it. Tough as nails.

I here they have brought out a new Landcruiser which is smaller than the 200 series that is very very popular.

I do have a soft spot for the old 80s Landcruisers.  Nothing of them, the metal seems as thin as a very thin thing, but they're hardy.

We had a Holden Adventra V8; it is AWD and we a very good car, both on road and off road.  Poor fuel economy but nevertheless, it was great and easy to drive for a larger car.

Then traded for a Toyota Kluger; this was a great car. Better fuel economy, again constant AWD; great vision, lots of room, and we had the model with all the extras including DVD player and popdown screens in the back, which we never used, but the dogs like watched Lassie Come Home on long trips.

Now we have really gone up market; I have my midlife crisis SAAB convertible, and my Wife has a Lexus RX350. This is a seriously expensive but great car. I don't drive it, too scared to get it dirty.

So Nick, I reckon look for a second hand Kluger about 4 years old, so you get the latest shape and features. 2010 KXR will cost about $20K, Grande about $30K.

Now we have really gone up market; I have my midlife crisis SAAB convertible, and my Wife has a Lexus RX350. This is a seriously expensive but great car. I don't drive it, too scared to get it dirty.

My mid-life crisis SAAB convertible was from 1999 to 2005. Good until it got in a ding and no ■■■■■■■ could fix the light on the dash, until I took it to the Swedish joint in Huntingdale Rd. I then off-loaded it for the next bloke to have their mid-life crisis.

If you are going to go off road ignore things like Subarus and Klugers, they just aren't up to it. Fair enought too; it's way outside their design brief. And surprisingly, if you are going to be doing a lot of rocky terrain, ignore Prados as well. From what I have seen and heard up here in hillbilly heaven, they tend to develop tears in the metal in the engine bay. Also steer clear of 3 litre turbo diesel Patrols. They are a pot luck proposition. You may get a good one, but a significant number blow engines around the 100,000km mark. Which for a diesel means it is just nicely run in.

Landcruiser tubo diesel - Excellent off roader, acceptable on road, decent comfort, a bit down on power compared to some, big, thirsty. Could do way worse than a Cruiser.

Prado tubo diesel - similar to Cruiser, just in a smaller package, and more economical. Avoid if using heavily in rocky terrain. Another good, reliable Tojo.

Pajero tubo diesel - Most car like to drive, and 3.2 diesel is a lovely, if plodding, motor. Comfortable, capable (although not quite at Landcruiser level) 4x4. Another for the short list.

Jeep Grande Cherokee - Superb off road, capable on, nice and comfortable, reasonable power, but you have to accept American build quality. They tend to squeak rattle and roll once they start to age, but that's just part of the Jeep Experience. Could do a lot worse. Particularly if the off road bit is important to you.

Land Rover Discovery tubo diesel - Another one that is superb off road, quite capable on. Although you have to get used to the leaning tower of land rover that you get on high speed bends on tarmac. Very good power, all the bells and whistles, probably the most comfortable of these vehicles, but is a very different beast to the others. Way more a modern 4x4 re it's suspension, electronics etc.

That would be my short list. All good machines. Personally I'd take the Disco. But I wouldn't be upset with anything on that list.

Reboot has some great options up above!

Landcruiser is the premier of the 4wd still at the moment, hoping to get a 70 Series Twin cab over the next few years.

The key for you is to determine what you want to do with it.

Are you looking to do actual 4x4 driving? Climbing rocks, hills, river crossings?

Thinking of towing a camper or caravan?

How much gear do you take?

About 4 years ago we brought a 3L Patrol, not the best, but it's been a good buy for our first proper 4wd. The wife loves the hight and size in traffic too.

Don't write off Rodeo's, Hilux's and Colorado's for first casual 4x4 cars either.

Get the Jeep V8, faster than the Merc and Porche 4wd, and prolly less than half the price.

Or buy a normal car and rent what you need for family adventures...

Most on here are missing the point. He specifically asked for a small 4WD - hence the mention of a Vitara or Outback in my brief.

For me, who has spent the last 14 years in the Territory, it has to be a Turbo diesel, but we are talking Tassie here, not Kakadu or the Kimberley (which I've done both on multiple occasions).

And I suspect the Budget is closer to $15-20k rather than $40k, if it's replacing a Swift.

1 Like

Sorry, thought this was the “lid off buying a 4wd” thread. Maybe just get something like a Hyundai Santa Fe. I rented one in TAS and the locals were all “wow, nice ride!”

Most on here are missing the point. He specifically asked for a small 4WD - hence the mention of a Vitara or Outback in my brief.

For me, who has spent the last 14 years in the Territory, it has to be a Turbo diesel, but we are talking Tassie here, not Kakadu or the Kimberley (which I've done both on multiple occasions).

And I suspect the Budget is closer to $15-20k rather than $40k, if it's replacing a Swift.

Settle petal. No he didn't. He specifically stated "family wagon" (hence no hi luxes etc in the responses). He also never said it was replacing a swift, just that that was the biggest thing she had driven.

Good luck with the missus on that 'easy to drive & park' Landcruiser or Jeep Cherokee!

1 Like

I thought it was a brag about your 4WD thread...

You want actual advice?