5 best games / 5 worst games you've been to

Unfortunately because north are about as relevant as what my dog just threw up nobody uploads many north games but I’ve got something for that week

1 Like

Trent Hentschell kicked 8. Dark times.

2 Likes

One if my first few trips as well. ■■■■■■■ nightmare of a game. Did the elim final there too.

There was a Lions game early to mid 2000s at docklands where brown kicked a bag that was about as fun as hemorrhoids

1 Like

Best
84 GF
93 Prelim final
93 vs Geelong - Salmon 10, Ablett 14 goals
85 GF
88?at Windy Hill - kept the Eagles to 1 goal, us 25 goals. I love a winning massacre.

Worst
83 GF
92 vs Hawthorn - lost by about 300 points
99 Prelim Final
71? At Victoria Park seeing Collingwood bring up their 200 after the final siren vs Essendon 7.11.
Then the final choice from about 100 games circa 2005 to 2019!

1 Like

Awful. Worst part about an interstate game is that you can’t slink home

2 Likes
  1. 1993 GF
  2. 2000 GF

Not great games but these have to be above all else. But others:

1. 1993 Prelim. I was 13 and thought a year of watching these exciting youngsters would be wasted. My old man said to a depressed kid at half time (me), always wait and see the first 10 mins after half time. And then what a ride. Partially deafened by the Mercuri goal, just a beautiful day in the end.

2. 1999 Ess v North Round 17. If I was to show mates who don’t know footy one game to get them to like it, it would be this one. Brutal, skilful, tough and the best showed up. 1999 is my favourite year of footy apart from a certain ending.

3. 2000 Qualifying final v North. Football perfection by one team plus, weirdly, David King.

4. 2003 ANZAC day. Hirdy was ridiculous and what a wasted talent Cupido was

5. 2001 comeback game. Just a ridiculous game of footy.

Just noticed my favourites are at least 17 years ago :man_facepalming:

Ok the worst.

1. 99 Prelim
  2. 2011 final v Carlton
  3. That one when Lecras kicked 12 or whatever
  4. A game against saints. Last round maybe 2008. Disgusting.
  5. Dogs game last year (softened by me saying in the bar “I’ll be at the seats in 5 mins). Didn’t make the seats.

Was away for that Norf elim final, otherwise that would be up there.

1 Like

I’ve shown Heff6 the last 8 minutes of 2009 about a dozen times. When he wants to be cheeky with his dad he says “Zakarakis be a hero son!”. Ha Haha. So good.

6 Likes

Best:

Hirdy hug game v WCE.

Worst:

1999 Prelim final.

I’ve driven to some Port and Adelaide games. @dingus I don’t think we ever saw them win did we? Horrible walking through AAMI stadium car park after a loss. Especially against Port. Adelaide supporters have more decorum.

If you weren’t at the Round 20, 1992 match against Hawthorn, you haven’t really suffered.

Every, single, minute was excruciating.

Another horror story was a 1990 game at Windy Hill against Melbourne, Darren farking Bennett kicked 4 in the last term as we threw away a 5 goal lead at 3/4 time.

We did get our revenge in 92 though, coming from 48 points down in the last quarter with Wanga banging one through to take the lead and Kickett nearly killing himself with a mark on the defensive point post. Many Bomber fans had gone home. They missed a miracle.

6 Likes

I’ve been through some horrible times in Adelaide.

Watched Victory get dicked about 5-1 once as well

1 Like

Geez I’d love to squeeze that game in

1 Like

I had vowed never to return to south Australia to watch a game again. But I think I would enjoy sitting next to @Aceman at the footy there.

3 Likes

Is the Hird hugging guy a blitz member? What a moment.

If you’d like to suggest any of these games for the watch alongs just PM me. Ill add them if they are available

Not sure. Think I saw him on front bar or one of those shows pretty recently

Low-key favourite was mid year 1999 v the Dogs. Lloydy injured his ankle very early in that game, I think he played on in the goalsquare after taking a mark, got tackled as he kicked the goal and his ankle gave way. It was a tough match, again nobody gave us too much hope against a Dogs team that was very good and come of successive PF appearances in 97-98. We were very inaccurate in front of goal, 10.20 we kicked. But it was a brave, courageous win. Mercs and Longy were best IIRC, Wellman took a great Mark late in the match against Chris Grant to save us. A lot of very good games in ‘99, the end of that season was painful but the year itself was fantastic.

3 Likes

I’m not sure which was worse: Hentschell bagging 8 or Nick Gill kicking 5 (25% of his career tally) against us one game.

3 Likes

I was at that one. Diabolical game.

Ha, fair chance you might not see all of the game. My strike rate of seeing games through to the end are not great. If it isn’t security turfing me out it’s me spitting the dummy and leaving well before the end

6 Likes