#5 Devon Smith

Cinnamon is the only answer.

ALL%203

3 Likes

Our captain and Zaharakis go alright too.

Zaharakis, due to his history, is the most under -valued player on our list (note not underrated). Rarely talked about as part of our midfeld with its youthful mechanics, but really important and rated highly in terms of opposition analysis (because of the damage he causes).

10 Likes

Just had a funny moment this morning
Dylan Shiel & his partner were having coffee at the outdoor table next to us @ our local cafe in Bowral
Our 5 month old lab was sniffing thru his girlfriends handbag under the table
We realed her back in and apologised
He said thatā€™s OK weā€™re dog people too
I couldnā€™t help myself being the smartarse that I am and replied ā€œwell she canā€™t have been looking for Devon cos we already got that!!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ā€
He was pretty cool about it & we had a chat about 2018 season

12 Likes

Donā€™t make plans for 2019 Dylan Shiel

5 Likes

Unless theyā€™re with us.

Weregoingonanadventure.gif

Dylan Shiel is a logical fit. I would say there is a good chance that one of Josh Kelly, Shiel, Wines, Heeney or Dom Sheed from WC will have the sink thrown at them by EFC. The club in my view know they are an A-Grade mid short of the premiership and will pull out all stops to ensure the Daniher\Merrett era gets that chance. A raid on Brisbane Lions not off the cards either.

Is ā– ā– ā– ā– 

1 Like

I thought that might be a bit controversial. I rate him highly.

I really rated his 18ā€™s carnival and had him pegged as a Mini-Priddis that hit the scoreboard. Hasnā€™t come on at West Coast albeit heā€™s had a few injuries. Interesting player, given a run I think heā€™s a curious one to watch given the midfield chasm thatā€™s opened up at WCE this year.

Hirdy wrapped about Devon Smith coming to bombers, and was impressed with him as a under 18.

2 Likes

Hirdy!

3 Likes

Devon ā€œKevā€ Smith

Love this pickup, been impressed so far and canā€™t wait to see how he goes tonight and into the year.

4 Likes

The moment ā€˜Kevā€™ realised it was time to leave
Callum Twomey
Mar 23, 2018 7:03AM

Devon Smith is happy to be back in Melbourne and playing onball - AFL,Essendon Bombers,Devon Smith,Adelaide Crows,Injuries
Devon Smith is happy to be back in Melbourne and playing onball
I enjoyed my time in Sydney, but I feel like Iā€™ve got a better balance here between footy and life now
Devon Smith

AS DEVON Smith watched Greater Western Sydney slowly slip away from Richmond in last yearā€™s preliminary final, the then Giant also began to realise he wouldnā€™t play again for the club that he had called home for six years, grown up at, debuted for and been a key plank of its start-up years.

Smith was shattered to have missed out on selection for the Giants but understood the thinking behind Leon Cameron and his match committee leaving him out.

The 24-year-old forward hadnā€™t played for five weeks due to a knee injury, but felt ready to get back in the senior team and perform.

Debate raged about whether the Giants were better served picking veteran Steve Johnson for the finals or going with Smith, and it didnā€™t fall his way. He had remained out of contract for the season despite GWS offering a new deal, but it was only during September did he decide to move.

ā€œI did so much work to get up for that game [against Richmond] and unfortunately didnā€™t get picked, and I understand why. It was the right thing, I hadnā€™t played for five weeks,ā€ Smith told AFL.com.au this week.

ā€œBut I did everything right to play and didnā€™t get picked. After we lost that I knew in my heart I was ready to come home.ā€

Ready to come back to Victoria, but where? That was the question coming thick and fast at Smith from his parents, brothers, partner and friends as he requested a trade out of the Giants. And after interest from several clubs, he chose Essendon as his preferred destination.

It is the Bombers who look set to benefit from Smithā€™s disappointment at the end of last season.

ā€œIā€™d never had that situation in my short career with a selection dilemma, so I was very disappointed. Iā€™ve been really motivated again to come out and have a really good pre-season and put my best foot forward,ā€ he said.

So far, so good. Smith was already at Essendonā€™s Tullamarine headquarters when he officially became a Bomber early in last yearā€™s trade period, walking up the stairs and into the facility to be greeted by list manager Adrian Dodoro, who told him the trade had gone through. Six months on, heā€™s happy with his decision.

ā€œIā€™m loving it. Iā€™m very happy to be home. I enjoyed my time in Sydney, but I feel like Iā€™ve got a better balance here between footy and life now. Playing golf here, going fishing, just catching up with family ā€“ itā€™s something I didnā€™t really think about but being down here Iā€™m really enjoying that side,ā€ he said.

ā€œI go home and Iā€™m not always thinking about football now. Itā€™s very hard because in Sydney when youā€™re hanging out youā€™re always hanging out with the football boys, and it probably took me my six years to get some relationships outside the football club that werenā€™t always AFL-related.ā€

Part of Smithā€™s interest in Essendon was its sell to him for more midfield time, something he struggled to get with a star-studded Greater Western Sydney onball unit.

He was impressive in the midfield during the Bombersā€™ JLT Community Series games, and will be a key player there as they take on Adelaide at Etihad Stadium on Friday night in their season-opening clash. Smith says playing as a full-time midfielder has made for a different summer.

ā€œIā€™m really enjoying the fact that itā€™s different training, itā€™s different things with your body and your craft is very different as well,ā€ he said.

"I see guys like (former GWS teammate) Toby Greene and why heā€™s such a good forward now, because your stoppage craft is something you can take up forward. Itā€™s learning how to use your body, getting used to taking the hits, and the repeat stuff.

ā€œYou have to get your fitness back up to where it should be. I definitely believed I was a midfielder when I was drafted.ā€

Smith doesnā€™t think the knee injuries that have bugged him in recent years held him back from a midfield spot. Rather, it was the Giantsā€™ incredible depth in that area of the ground.

He has done ā€œ90 per centā€ of the pre-season and has completed every session since Christmas and feels past any injury troubles.

ā€œItā€™s strange because lately Iā€™ve actually forgotten about it, which is a good thing, because last year it was always on my mind,ā€ he said.

ā€œBut now when people ask I actually have to think, ā€˜Was it my left or right knee?ā€™ Itā€™s a positive that Iā€™m in such a good state of mind and my bodyā€™s feeling great.ā€

Smith, who was one of three big-name recruits the Bombers acquired last year alongside Jake Stringer and Adam Saad, has been quick to make an impact at Essendon.

He attacks training drills with the ferocity of a match, even if it means a teammate comes off second best or gets in the way. Heā€™s taken teammates on a fishing trip and, of course, picked up a nickname ā€“ ā€˜Kevā€™.

ā€œThe Lara boys (where Smith grew up) would be pretty happy to hear that. Itā€™s a nickname I get called at home,ā€ he said.

ā€œTommy Bellchambers we call ā€˜Timā€™, Cale Hooker gets ā€˜Carlā€™ and Jake Stringer gets called ā€˜Jackā€™. Michael Hurley gets ā€˜Rickā€™. Thereā€™s plenty of names in the change rooms.ā€

1 Like

Interesting that the players have revived a fashion from medieval England.

1 Like

A few turnovers but solid player.
Is definitely an upgrade on the likes of howlett, bird, hocking etc. Much more dangerous