#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

I’ve heard he’s big, but wow, can’t even walk straight, that’s real big!

The expectation that Joe would be fit and ready for Round 1 was always to high, especially after watching him in the JLT games. One mark, no goals. Hardly an outstanding performance two weeks out from the start of 2019 season. Even the coaches were saying he would be picked for the GWS game, but only play a minimum amount of time. I want 22 fully fit players out on the park, not a team with one very suspect player only half fit, The game is to be won, not playing with one player half baked and playing poorly.
I’ve said all along, JOE WASN’T ENOUGH FIT TO START THE SEASON. He now needs to get over this calf injury and return via 2-3 VFL games. At best, the Round 9 home game against Freo. Sure Smack, Brown and Stewart haven’t got Joe’s 2017 goal kicking stats. But I would prefer to have three fit goers that one half-baked player sitting half the game on the bench.
GWS would be a hard game to win even with a 100% fit Joe and Hooker. I’d play all three - Smack at CHB, Stewart CHF and Brown FF. Or some combination with those three ALL playing. All deserve a game. Brown and Smack were sensational last year, Time for Stewart to step up to the mark. What better opportunity to sow his worth against his old side. Bet Smith and Shiel will be breathing fire to have a crack at their old side. Even Hartley might still get a game down back???

I think this sounds like the most sensible approach.

5 Likes

Assuming Joe wasn’t putting on an Academy Award winning performance.
So, from a verbal description (it didn’t pop, go bang, cause immediate hobbling) it’s most likely a soleus strain. Relatively good news
Grade 1 - 7-10 days recovery
Grade 2 - 4-6 weeks.

The first would be described in Daniher terms as ‘a little nick”
So 2 weeks recovery and 2 to 3 weeks running conditioning.

The best bit for me was Joe saying he wouldn’t make the same mistake twice about playing sore / injured without being upfront about it.

So back for Anzac Day no worries.
All you pessimists and Joe haters can go back to the ‘Let’s All Drink The KoolAid’ threads.

5 Likes

Interesting to hear him say he wont make the same mistake of convincing them he is right to play when he isn’t.

He’s looking so much bigger across the shoulders now. Really looking forward to his comeback.

1 Like

I doubt we really have any “Joe haters”

we all love him

2 Likes

The responses I’ve seen to the Christchurch shootings have been more measured than the panicked meltdowns in this thread today.

Try to maintain some perspective in your lives people

5 Likes

I’ve waded through these posts - some of these people are expressing their affection for Joey in classic abusive relationship terminology.

‘I love you darling’

• that’s why you’re useless / I want to get rid of you for good / we’re better off without you / I had to break your arm
1 Like

By league standards more than half of those are average or below for midfielders at the present time. First 4 yes, but the rest are either unproven or better suited elsewhere. I reckon you could find an equivalent for each of them in most teams.

2 Likes

And how many teams in history have more than 4 top level midfielders?

Aren’t we talking about the depth? My point is that’s not depth relative to a lot of other teams. Most of those guys are average to below as midfielders imo.

1 Like

Depth being players to call up who could play a role, not expected to be stars

If next in line who’d be physically capable are:

Parish (arguable if in/out of team), Mutch & Clarke (both been very good at VFL level) & LAV. And Long as an outside mid.

It’s not that bad.

Then you have Redman returning as well who’d also be capable in a midfield role (done so in VFL at times). And Begley with potential also.

There is enough there to work with, all still with plenty of upside really.

Not too sure other teams would be doing better for depth.

Anyway back to JD. Godspeed.

Get back on the park finger twirlin soon’

1 Like

What is it with all the fkn calf injuries? It’s an old man injury FFS.

1 Like

Footballers use their calves for running and jumping and kicking things

8 Likes

I wonder what “little things in his game” Joey wants to “work a little bit harder on”.
Might I suggest

• holding his ground when an opponent “nudges” him just before the ball arrives.
  • possibly even reminding himself that he is bigger and heavier than just about everybody else on the ground, and using that to “nudge” them first.
  • present to ball and go at it full blooded (think Brown and Cox) rather than jumping from behind.

He has all the ability in the world, it’s time he learned how to harness it better.

2 Likes

haha looks like I’ve been sucked in!

They use a lot of parts of their bodies to do those things, smarty dacks. Doesn’t explain why there’s been a glut of calf injuries recently.

Edit: “Glut” might be hyperbole, but they seem to be common of late.

Must be vey frustrating for Joe… Dealt with the media scum’s repetitive questions very well. Can’t wait to see him back playing healty and injury free. So important for the team to have him back and firing again!

3 Likes

At least we still have Tippa to kick it to

4 Likes

You haven’t been reading the Tippa thread, have you?

Edit: you have, well played!