#6 Jye Caldwell

I’d have to disagree here when comparing him to Clarke, I think he’s considerably better both by hand and foot.

I’d probably go as far to say he’s better off his left foot than Clarke.

7 Likes

Caldwell for Durham/Clarke

I mean, I get that’s based on having seen more of him at training. Because it can’t possibly be based on the 1.5 games he’s played for us.

I think he’s definitely coming in. Clarke is the obvious like for like but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Durham that makes way.

It’s Clarke, if anyone.

Durham will be under pressure from Langford when fit, or Cox if the coaches feel the rest has invigorated him.

2 Likes

Flip this discussion about Clarke/Caldwell and ask yourself is dropping Dylan Clarke really making much difference to our overall prospects against the Bulldogs? With respect to Dylan, he is limited and there is little risk in his omission weakening our chances of winning the game.

We are going to need a lot to go right to win- and Caldwell shapes as the higher risk/reward play as someone who best-case scenario, influences the match with his intensity in contested play. He also has some genuine class in congestion and simply makes us harder to play against because he is an aggressive and clean ball-handler.

We have played the conservative cards with Langford and perhaps Walla too. I think Truck is allowed to go for one riskier selection for an elimination final.

2 Likes

I think if you have a look at our track record of player predictions from extensively watching training it stacks up fairly well.

I’m very happy to stand by my assessment until proven wrong.

3 Likes

Fully expecting Caldwell to be sub. Gets him game experience while not exposing him to a full game. If he comes in late, he’ll be fresh against tired opposition.

I’m not doubting that aspect at all.

I just said that Caldwell hasn’t shown himself to be an elite kick. And he hasn’t… Yet. Maybe he will on Sunday?

Yep I’ll go along with that.

Lets hope he does show it on Sunday.

Caldwell’s kicking in the pre season match against Carlton was absolutely sublime. Like, elite. It’s on YouTube for all to see.
It was good again the very next match against the Cats.

I admit it was surprisingly a bit off in round 1 vs the Hawks but I think he is a very capable kick of the footy.

1 Like

I’ve now crossed that 50/50 line that he is more likely to play.
A combination between @Houli_Dooley 's Scratch Match report, and Dylan Clarke’s slightly poorer game last week.

It’s a risk, but we aren’t taking any others (Langford, Tippa), and you always have the SUB if need be.

1 Like

I agree with that, and I do think they will play him. Not as a sub, either.

When does the squad get trmmed

I think the fact Langford and Walla haven’t come up has made it just about a certainty. You can take one risk at selection going into a final and even if it doesn’t come off I don’t see it having that big an impact on the result. If it does come off Caldwells ceiling is so much higher.

2 Likes

Simple

Get rid of Cutler and Clarke

Durham on one wing Cox on the other Caldwell interchange.

Backs: Mason Redman, James Stewart, Jayden Laverde
Half-backs: Dyson Heppell (C), Jordan Ridley, Nick Hind
Centreline: Sam Durham, Andrew McGrath, Nik Cox
Half-forwards: Alec Waterman, Aaron Francis, Archie Perkins
Forwards: Jake Stringer, Peter Wright, Devon Smith
Followers: Sam Draper, Darcy Parish, Zach Merrett
Interchange: Matt Guelfi, Jye Caldwell, Will Snelling, Dylan Shiel
Medical sub: Tom Cutler

1 Like

Never thought id say this, but Cutler deserves his spot, id rather take a form player in than Nik Cox who had dropped off.

20 Likes

Cutler’s named on the field anyway, doesn’t that usually mean they’re in?

1 Like

I prefer Cutler over Guelfi as 7th defender.

1 Like

No chance Cutler is coming out of side. He’s best 22 in a stable back 7 at present.

And his recent form been excellent

If Cox was to come in would be Durham out IMO, I don’t think that will happen though.

In any case back to Caldwell.

Go well young lad if get the call up.

6 Likes