#6 Jye Caldwell

I reckon it is Caldwell v Clarke, and the decision will come down to strategy.

If we’re going to tag Liberatore again, Clarke would own that role. But if the coaches think we should be just going head-to-head with the Dogs’ mids, there’s more of a case for Jye coming in.

The decision might also turn on whether we’re worried about Stef Martin coming in and being able to take it up to Draper at stoppages.

Agree re Cutler. I have just watched our game v Doggies & he really played well. His long accurate kicking was a real bonus. I’m not sure why or how he’s managed to turn things around but he stays in for mine.
That game: 22 disposals, 17 kicks, 5 handballs, 8 marks, 3 tackles.
636 metres gained

3 Likes

That’s fine, but this season hasn’t finished yet and he hasn’t played all year. Too big a risk this week. Shiel was next to useless first game back and I don’t expect Caldwell to be any different. That was home and away. This will be a whole other level of intensity again.

from the training thread, looks like Caldwell in for clarke

There’s a difference though. Shiel came straight back into the side without any matches under his belt, so yes he was accordingly rusty.

Caldwell has now played two matches, entirely against other AFL listed players. Both games at a very high tempo apparently. I can vouch for that being the case in the most recent one against GWS.

He is ready. It’s just whether they want to pick him or reward all the guys from the last few weeks without exception.

5 Likes

He came across on a four-year deal right? He’s very highly touted.

They’ll play him Sunday. If for nothing else than he is definitely pigeon holed as a big part of the clubs future, and winning the premiership in 2021 was never the goal. Get him some experience on the big stage.

3 Likes

Clark ain’t getting dropped this week lads.
He shut out Libba in the last game agains the dogs, has been apply a lot of forward pressure and has contested attributes that will be valuable in a final.
At the very least Truck will want him there to perform a Libba run with function as a fall back option, like every team has done successfully against the dogs recently.
The most likely replacement for Caldwell is Perkins…

1 Like

If we were looking for someone to fill a mid role then I would opt for Caldwell.

But if he is going to be replacing Clark’s forward role or Durham on a wing then I really don’t see it working.

Caldwell has pretty high level midfield potential but I don’t think he has much versatility.

He’s best 22 and he’s fit. He’s in like Flynn.

I don’t mind who we play, as long as we win. Possible that Caldwell comes in, Clarke to become medical sub and Cox to play the scratch match.

1 Like

Interchange & sub will come from this lot.
Two certainties it seems. 2 more on the bench & 1 sub from the rest. You can make cases for & against for each of them. Unlucky 3.
Caldwell :heavy_check_mark:
Stewart :heavy_check_mark:
Durham
Cox
Phillips
Gleeson
Guelfi
Clarke

If Caldwell comes in (we all want to see him, but it would be a risk), it should be for Durham, in my opinion. I agree that Clarke’s defensive capabilities - against a stacked opposition midfield - could be very useful in a final…

1 Like

No way Cutler makes way for Cox. None. Cox has been pretty garbage for the past two months. Cutler has been pretty good. Stays. Not even controversial at this point.

2 Likes

Bit uncomfortable at the thought of a final as the first full match he goes through coming back.

Would love to know the odds of a soft tissue injury in a final vs home and away if it’s any different or perceived.

If Jye’s picked he’s playing and not sub because he’ll get more conditioning in a practice game rather than “waste” him on the bench?

Caldwell?

He’s played 2 scratch matches against AFL opponents, almost a real game

Clarke’s field kicking especially on the run was shocking, but credit to him it looks like he’s worked really hard on it and it’s come along way. His kicking for goal has strangely been really good all career. His kicking at the moment reminds me of Jason Johnson.

1 Like

Jye’s been full training for about 4-5 weeks now and has played in two games (which he dominated) the previous two weeks.

Compared to Shiel and Mcgrath returning, Jye has a 4-5 week block of full health + games under his belt.

He is ready to go.

7 Likes

imagine going into a final where you have selections headaches because you have too many fit players. what is going on…?

19 Likes

Yeah, but it’s not about whether he is fit, it’s more about how he fits into our system. I’m sure it has changed significantly since he last played a game in round 2. Not having a proper VFL game also an issue.