#9 Dylan Shiel be right, mate - from July 2022

It would be nice if this highly paid midfielder earned his money in big games when it counts. A very disappointing player at times.

On the whole ‘when it counts’ thing, I thought he was good in the first half/first 3 quarters. Some nice field kicking, seemed to be doing his job. In the 4th he looked like me running around, looked miles off the fitness and pace of the Magpies - as a lot of his teammates did, he wasn’t alone. But he looked injured to me, he just had nothing in the 4th, which was when we needed players like him the most.

It looked more than just going missing to me, but maybe I’m wrong.

1 Like

Plenty of the boys ran out of steam in the last qtr. Thats on the game plan and player management during the game IMO, not on Sheil, he played well until he ran out of steam.

The MRO/tribunal cost us 4 points. Make no mistake, an ex Collingwood player made a decision that impacted on a future Collingwood game, which at the end of the year potentially impacts on finals outcomes.

Pretty farked up & Bomber supporters should be very angry

2 Likes

You’re possibly jumping the gun. We were missing our best midfielder, and our first draft picks in the last two drafts were midfielders and have hardly played (midfield). For all the Blitz hysteria we only lost by ~2 goals against what may be the best team in the competition. If we’d had the tall forwards to capitalise further on the first three quarters, or provide a cut-out in the last, we might have won.

Um, when you say rectify it, how exactly did they get those two first round picks back?

People going gaga over Collingwood seem to ignore they got the two Daicos’s for virtually free. And still have Pendles running around who was a bonus priority pick.

4 Likes

Nick cost them the points equivalent of pick 4 in the draft. Josh cost them a third rounder.

We could look at it from an Essendon perspective, but imagine how much better Collingwood would have been if they had their talls playing

Arguably not much at all given how bad Phillips is against a weaker opponent. Phillips is a good negating ruck, he’s poor at dominating.

I’d happily have traded their talls back + Adams for us to have Wright, Merrett and Lav not getting injured.

LAV and Snelling don’t get injured we probably win the match.
LAV Stuffed our struture and Snelling was doing ok on Daicos.

3 Likes

Did meatball cop an injury?

Soft tissue i believe,
Will Snelling - tweaked left hamstring chasing Nick Daicos in Q4
Archie Perkins - Left ankle knock in Q3
Mason Redman - off with leg injury in Q3
Laverde - Left shoulder knock in a collision with Mihocek in Q3

1 Like

Oh. Fantastic.

The thing with shiel is that he looks like a hulking strong inside mid but he cant actually play that role.

He is more of an issac smith or ed langdon type outside runner.

1 Like

Interesting listening to Jack Steele on sen yesterday, apparently Ross Lyon told him and Seb Ross they had to trim down from last year’s playing weight, he wanted a running team.

how many times can it be jumping the gun whe nthe same issue has been present for 3 seasons?

1 Like

And Guelfi… dont forget our 3rd in the B&F being out too. He’d have made a difference if playing. Gives it a crack and would’ve liked to see him lining up against Nick Daicos.

4 Likes

People love hating on Shiel.

3 Likes

maybe a 900k p/a player could be elite?

2 Likes

It’s peak BLITZ the way some posters instantly turn on Shiel, McGrath, Parish etc… when we have a loss.

9 Likes

You mean the seasons we didn’t have Setterfield, and Martin and Durham were either not on the list or playing their first seasons? The 2023 midfield isn’t the 2021 or 2022 versions.

1 Like

Well lucky we are only playing last years premiers who are the form team off a short break this week.