#9 Dylan Shiel be right, mate - from July 2022

The quickest path to Whipping Boy, is to be traded in halfway through your career.

2 Likes

EFC does not even have ā€œcan we be a little bit proactive?ā€ on its agenda.

Crucially you missed out this important bit:

ā€œā€¦ and underperform and be overpaidā€.

How is his wage even relevant? We have cash to burn and nobody to spend it on.

1 Like

Hes nothing like these 2.

Yeah, heā€™s an explosive rover type not a wingman. Itā€™s actually not a very common type of player these days, probably because sheer size has become so prized. Iā€™m thinking Tony McGuiness, John Platten, though both of those guys were better gut runners and probably not quite as high end quick. Shiel has never been a pure wingman thatā€™s for sure. He kind of plays like a ruck rover but needs space to work through because he lacks the size required to bulldoze through. Heā€™s at least 5cm and closer to 10kgs smaller than he needs to be to do that though. Our whole midfield problem is that weā€™ve ended up with a bunch of rovers (though I think parish plays more like a traditional center). Itā€™s hysterical to think we recruited Smith with the promise of more midfield time too.

3 Likes

Kelly without the elite kicking and better extraction skills?

Yeah, very similar to Treloar too

2 Likes

Honestly heā€™s kind of a weird player. Doesnā€™t have sheer size, isnā€™t a massive gut runner, isnā€™t particularly polished. Speed is obviously his one wood but he doesnā€™t really hurt with it.

The modern champion Rovers, Crawford/cousins have combined class and a huge tank.

1 Like

Merrett doesnā€™t have a monster tank either but has just enough speed and a damaging left foot. Parish has great vision and just knows where to go but doesnā€™t have a huge tank, speed, size or polish (though he can be damaging because his vision is so good).

Theyā€™re kind of all 1 trick ponies which is why they can all be vulnerable to tags and why they donā€™t work together well.

I canā€™t think of another midfield that was so imbalanced for so long. Actually I can, jobe, Hocking, hepp, Myers, Howlett, bj, Stanton. All totally one paced, only 1 elite runner and 1 damaging kick among themā€¦

3 Likes

Which one was the damaging kick?
Myers? I mean sure, he could hoof it, but was he damaging? Nahā€¦
Goddard? To a point, but I reckon his kicking was way worse with us than when he was at the Saints.

Goddard was an elite kick, Iā€™ll just add Jobe had elite vision and hand ball.

2 Likes

Could you just say he plays like Judd? Obviously Judd was a class above.

Iā€™ve always seen Shiel as a poor manā€™s Dangerfield, explosive from stoppage, pretty powerful athletes, dreadful disposal and unreliable goal kicking.

The good stuff danger is obviously better and danger has a bomb of a kick from 50. But that is the genre of player I see shiel as

1 Like

Sorta but Judd was proper ruck rover size and could brute force things

Danger is just a lot bigger the Shiel too

Heā€™s not a guy who rips you apart on his own, but what he does do is create drive forward and transition super quick.
If we have our forward line right where weā€™ve got big targets presenting, crumbers around them and weā€™re locking it in well, he comes into his own. What he doesnā€™t/canā€™t do is spot up targets in traffic.

Pretty sure the years/times heā€™s shone are the years weā€™ve had our forwards sorted.

1 Like

Shiel let SPP get that goal

Heā€™s a very odd player Dylan.

Does some strange things that really leave you scratching your head. There will be the odd brilliant piece of play thrown in there as well but yeah, heā€™s an interesting one.

2 Likes

He is very consistently inconsistent.

Sometimes he goes hard, sometimes he doesnā€™t; sometimes he chases hard, sometimes he doesnā€™t; sometimes he runs with the ball hard, sometimes he doesnā€™t, sometimes he tackles well, sometimes he doesnā€™t.

Looks like a solidly built player with a huge burst of speed but doesnā€™t play like it very often.

Heā€™s the type of player you think can be good, but then you wonder if we will ever improve while he is in the team.

5 Likes