#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

I don’t mind reluctance to have a shot if there is a better kicker nearby. Shows a realistic approach.

Appoint him captain now.

I’ve been saying it for a few years now - Shiel kicks better on his non-preferred.

I don’t know what’s going to happen at season’s end. Essendon putting him on the trade block would be an admittance that his recruitment was a mistake. Would Dodoro be prepared to do that? Will Shiel force his hand and request a trade? He has been a lot better recently, but is this just a “fattening up for market” scenario and we hope club enquire about him and offer up decent trade packages? It’s not like we have any cap issues and we could easily accomodate him until his contract is up at the end of 2024. So we have to position this as not being a firesale and inviting low-ball trade offers or ones where we have to pay half his wages to be elsewhere…

Wow this thread is awfully quiet!

25 touches
11 contested possessions
5 score involvements
1.0 goals
5 tackles

7 Likes

6 Likes

He is certainly lifting his trade value.

Shame he butchers the ball so much because I love watching him explode out of the center square. He is as close to Judd as there is at the moment, but without the goals.

I rated him BOG to half time.

2 Likes

I suspect that unless a club comes knocking, then he won’t be going anywhere.

And I doubt a club comes for him.

I agree - but can’t he be told to kick the ball straight into our forward line instead of at 45 degrees? The coaches need to mandate it!

I think a few will.

1 Like

I don’t. And I don’t think we’ll shop him now. Especially if we win another 2+ games.

EDIT: To clarify I was highly skeptical we’d shop him anyway unless we finished the season on 2 wins or something ridiculous.

They would have to agree to his existing contract and I’m not of the belief that EFC would let him go cheaply at the moment.

I’m not sure many clubs would be keen for that.

Ivan I’ll say this slowly.

We did not pay 2 first round picks. The second rounder coming the other way significantly impacts the value of the trade.

1 Like

Geelong will.

i understand that, was just being lazy

1 Like

Just like Shiel in the first half of the season.

1 Like

It depends what you get for him.

I think it’s better in the long run for us to trade him now.

Guys like Perkins & Hobbs will have their development stunted.

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at #9 Dylan Shiel (Part 2).