A quiet place to grieve

Actually, I take back my earlier comment. You truly have attained the zen of acceptance.

Dammit!

If I was allowed in I’d try and defend my grown-up credibility.

3 Likes

I took my 4 and 6yo to the Hawks game. My 4yo spent the game sitting on my knee trying to shove her fingers into my mouth and cackling with glee. It wasn’t the most relaxing way to watch a game but she kept the crowd around us entertained.

9 Likes

I was at acceptance last week. Five minutes into this week just affirmed that is where I’m staying.

1 Like

When my son and I kick the footy he says: Daddy you be the Bombers and I’ll be the Cats.

I signed him up for an Essendon membership to the day he was born. At this point I’m happy to let him be the Cats.

3 Likes

Denial. Can’t see how we aren’t 20-2 at the end of the H&A season

8 Likes

Okay.
You can be Dangerfield and I’ll be Tippa.

6 Likes

Don’t worry. There’s still hope. That little red (and black) glow in the Terminator’s eyes. He’s still an EFC member, and I’ll be taking him to his first game this year. Hopefully I can pick a game we win.

4 Likes

It’s a weird feeling at the moment, I never subscribed to us being top 4 in the off season, but I had set my expectations to a 6-8th finish, more so moving on from the ordinary losses to ordinary sides and getting far more consistent in our games and taking the better sides to the brink.

Im certainly not angry, just frustrated the club doesn’t look prepared for the first 5 rounds of the season…and if any club should have been, its Essendon.

1 Like

I get that. You know, seeking pleasure at the moment through other teams not winning does not cut it. Pleasure has to come from Essendon’s achievements.

It’s like Fark Carlton hanging on to the 1999 prelim as their highlight. yeah - it’s a small pleasure since they lost the grand final and the team they beat went on to have an incredibly successful year the next. We don’t want to be that.

2 Likes

I Just feel frustration. Frustration at the club for letting it come to this. So many seemingly poor decisions year after year.
I’m a big believer in proper staff selection processes. The result you get is directly proprotional to the effort and time you put in at the beginning.
I just believe that this club has failed on most criteria in regard to selecting staff. And it shows. They chase people they think will be good rather than having a disciplined structured impartial process.
If you have mediocre processes you get mediocre people.
And while the board has to remain hands off in day to day processes I think they are far too forgiving of failure. There comes a time when the old boy network just doesnt work any more.
Football should be the core business.
But our entire organisation apears far more concerned with finances than football. Seems to be, look after the finances and the football will take care of itself. Doesn’t work like that. With an equalised competition and the AFL funding teams with no money, its getting the football right that is important.
They will reap what they sow.
So for me, I’ve gone through the anger, the disappointment, the hysteria, because some of those plays were hilarious, now its just frustration at the club continuing with the same old same old.
And as we all know, keep doing the same thing… keep getting the same result.

Oh… and I admire Collingwood too. Big strong club, keep making sometimes unpopular decisions, but they seem to keep making the right decisions. Someone there knows what they are doing.

11 Likes

I’m not looking forward to going to the footy on my own, reckon I will lose my ■■■■, but taking the kids along is a wonderful distraction and fun. Mine are similar age. They cheer all the goals (both teams) and don’t care about the score. Far more concerned with the hot chips & hot donuts.

My son is however beginning to ask who is winning now which will be a bit trickier. I was hoping that we might show some real competitiveness by now, after putting up with crap performances for so long, just as they started to understand a bit more about the game and also basic maths at school.

That is really depressing.

2 Likes

I have read most of the posts after the game & understand the frustration. I also just feel sad and deflated. I was so excited a few weeks back to get tickets for the Anzac game along with flights & 2 nights at the Pullman. I’ve accepted that we won’t win - hoping it’s not going to be a 100 point loss. I am now looking forward to going to the Dawn service at the shrine.
This week’s game will be really interesting. Dees fans must be feeling similar to us.

1 Like

Reckon they feel a lot more confident than us.

Guess it would be hard to feel less confident.

Coach extension aside…and it’s a big aside, but still…
I think the board has done an okay job.

For where we are.
I’d actually be more critical of them if we were more successful, because I know…deep down in my heart, that they are sooooo ■■■■■■ that we’re not better.
They had this whole project of guilting supporters into coughing up and getting onboard and creating waiting lists for Etihad and the stupid team keeps stuffing that up.

They know they are playing us this round. Instant confidence builder.

Can’t like your post enough, extremely accurate I agree.

can you have depressing acceptance ??

1 Like

Whenever the Swans are in a bit of a hole, you always have the incompetence of essington to cheer you up.

Next up we will be making Melbourne fans feel better after just handing Stkilda their grand final.

You couldnt make Essendon any worse if you tried.