Active Support- We Are Essendon

Quoted Post

Why not have a few more skeetas then. Any reason why they can't be at a few parts of the ground?

I personally didn’t like the players being introduced, but if your going to do it, do it ‘from the back line’

Also, no music right before the bounce. At a big game the crowd need to build for that moment. And what was that hip hop tune they played before the game? That was average.

The top gun muZak was ‘ok’ though,

I’m no spring chicken but I loved the atmosphere created by the music. I must have missed the players being introduced… I don’t recall that happening.

Brilliant idea HH!

A good designer could have some fun with costumes based on those - Hepp’s hair, Jobe’s thighs, Fletch’s walking frame…

Quoted Post

Why not have a few more skeetas then. Any reason why they can't be at a few parts of the ground?

I personally didn’t like the players being introduced, but if your going to do it, do it ‘from the back line’

Also, no music right before the bounce. At a big game the crowd need to build for that moment. And what was that hip hop tune they played before the game? That was average.

Here’s an idea: stick with just the one Skeeter, but also have a few “players” represented. You know how the Saints mascot is Trevor Barker (I think they call him Saint Trevor or something) and he kinda looks like Barker and wears a #1 on his back? We could do that with half a dozen of the better known players … Watson, Heppell, Fletch, Hurley, Chappy etc. They could just walk around the ground and basically do the stuff Skeeter does and kids could get their photos with them.

Awesome!

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
I gotta say this.

Taking a young son along to the game he was really taken by our one & only Skeeta!
We met him in the AFL Playground area before the game & had some pics with him & he was great.
We then watched him walk the boundary before the game, entertaining our fans & mock fighting that silly looking Hawk mascot.
We also were suitably impressed by his dance routines & the general ‘mood’ he was instrumental in helping create.
In short… through the eyes of a young boy he was sensational.

A BIG pat on the back to the Club & whoever is in that outfit!

RIP Skeeta Snr.

Wonder what happened to the old costume.

When my son was five or six (back in the Old Skeeter days) I took him to a Family Day and he didn’t want to meet the players, he just wanted to meet Skeeter. And when he met Skeeter, you know what he said to our mascot? … “I love you”. I kid you not!!

Quoted Post

Like that idea. Much better than going through the numbers.

Why not have a few more skeetas then. Any reason why they can’t be at a few parts of the ground?

Quoted Post

I gotta say this.

Taking a young son along to the game he was really taken by our one & only Skeeta!
We met him in the AFL Playground area before the game & had some pics with him & he was great.
We then watched him walk the boundary before the game, entertaining our fans & mock fighting that silly looking Hawk mascot.
We also were suitably impressed by his dance routines & the general ‘mood’ he was instrumental in helping create.

RIP Skeeta Snr.

Wonder what happened to the old costume.

I gotta say this.

I must admit i didnt think it would work but i really liked announcing the players individually while they were out on the ground. Once people get used to it itcould reallyhelp create a great atmosphere before games.

I loved seeing Sheeds walking arou d the boundary getting the supporters going nuts after the game as well

Well done Ryan

The atmosphere was great on the weekend! Unfortunately I sat up on level 4 so I was a fair way from the action, but when Carlisle kicked that first goal to put us 10 points down, the Essendon clap clap clap, Essendon clap clap clap was loud in our area. It must have been most of the stadium I think. Same thing with Colyer’s goal to put us within a goal, and then everyone just went crazy with Hooksy’s snap. Great effort by the supporters, loud and proud, great to be a part of it!

Well, nobody showed.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I didn’t find out until the day, I couldn’t get the time off work!

Please PLEASE keep trying, honestly if we could move the GS down there it would be awesome.

Here's another idea. Perhaps we could get a group of blitz members keen on the idea of active support to sit together at a game and try to get some chants going? 

We exist, exchange us with the cheer squad and the benefits would be reaped.

We exist, exchange us with the cheer squad and the benefits would be reaped.

Please tell me more!  :)

i wish youd just come out and say flash mob.

it would have been quicker.

Serious question - have you been to an Essendon game in the last 10 years?  Have our efforts been for nought?

There is already a group of supporters who are referred to as the grog squad although its not really a bunch of drunks more just a fluid group with some mainstays who have chants for most players & situations.  Many of the same chants you here at the soccer are changed to suit AFL & you will find people crossing both sports & transferring ideas.  The "We are Essendon" was very much a "grog squaders" brainchild & its nearly always the GS that get the chant going.  Its what the cheer squad used to be like before they pushed out the blokes with loud voices in favour of old women who want a good seat.

Feel free to come stand up the back & join in the fun.  There's no badges, joining fees or rights of passage just a group of diehard fans most of which are there every week through thick & thin.  For maximum experience I recommend Carlton games.  We seriously fark with their supporters' heads & its usually when we seem to have the most voice.

Until we have a real home ground, not a shared boutique stadium. The atmosphere will never be good and never a fortress.

Serious question - have you been to an Essendon game in the last 10 years?  Have our efforts been for nought?

There is already a group of supporters who are referred to as the grog squad although its not really a bunch of drunks more just a fluid group with some mainstays who have chants for most players & situations.  Many of the same chants you here at the soccer are changed to suit AFL & you will find people crossing both sports & transferring ideas.  The "We are Essendon" was very much a "grog squaders" brainchild & its nearly always the GS that get the chant going.  Its what the cheer squad used to be like before they pushed out the blokes with loud voices in favour of old women who want a good seat.

Feel free to come stand up the back & join in the fun.  There's no badges, joining fees or rights of passage just a group of diehard fans most of which are there every week through thick & thin.  For maximum experience I recommend Carlton games.  We seriously fark with their supporters' heads & its usually when we seem to have the most voice.

Gee, sounds awesome! Whereabouts does the grog squad sit?