Adam Cooney

We’ve got too many players in his age bracket already. It’s not like we are on the cusp on a Premiership. We haven’t won a final in 10 years! That said, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he ended up with us.

We've got too many players in his age bracket already. It's not like we are on the cusp on a Premiership. We haven't won a final in 10 years! That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ended up with us.

If Carlton were going to get him thrown in on top of the Jones trade for a second rounder, then that says a bit about his value. And if we can get him for a 3rd rounder then the answer is hells yes.

He's only got 2-3 years left but as a 5th/6th midfielder he's more than OK - he's just not the 1st/2nd midfielder that he was. Remember we got exposed and beaten by North by not really having much to combat their 5th/6th/7th midfielder through there.

If they want something much more for him then yeah, I'd pass.

I’d rather take a speculative outside mid with a healthy body, but, if it’s our only new recruit then so be it.

He'd wanna be cheap. Don't think he's got much left in the tank, but might be handy, particularly as he addresses the outside run issue we have. Swap him for Jetta.

He'd wanna be cheap. Don't think he's got much left in the tank, but might be handy, particularly as he addresses the outside run issue we have. Swap him for Jetta.

Agreed. If he is a 4th rounder then yes, otherwise wouldn't bother unfortunately. He still has talent but if we have to manage his knee, Winderlich and possibly Chappy it's too much of a strain.

knee is shot, well spend more time in our rehab group than on the playing field.

which suggests he is a prefect canditate for North, they seem extremely interested in boosting their rehab group with the additions of Waite and Higgins.

We need young guns ! Young, Young , Young !  Did I say Young, we have a core group of Older players now in my view, we have a need for speed !

Doing a medical at North.

knee is shot, well spend more time in our rehab group than on the playing field.

which suggests he is a prefect canditate for North, they seem extremely interested in boosting their rehab group with the additions of Waite and Higgins.

Bar a hammie mid-season, he was fit this year and played all of 2013.

Would be interesting to give him a medical, to my eye he looked to be about 90% for the whole year (bar the hammie & rehab). 2013 he was about 95% for the whole year, had a pretty solid season.

Doing a medical at North.

What are North on? If they pick him up they'll have traded in two outside players (with Higgins), and lost a genuine inside footballer in Greenwood. And Cooney and Waite have both probably not got more than 2 reasonable years in them, and both have a history of missing good chunks of the season. North going hard at the premiership window only they can see.

Cooney.

Higgins.

Waite.

Three of the most inconsistent and injury plagues players of the past three-four years.

GO NORTH!!!!

Cooney.
Higgins.
Waite.
Three of the most inconsistent and injury plagues players of the past three-four years.
GO NORTH!!!!

Smells like Richmond 2002!

Could do better, could do worse.

Could be a very handy forward for us. Would want to get him very cheap though

I was under the impression that the perceived issue with Essendon was that we lacked pace in our midfield. How is a guy with two bung knees gonna fix that?

Do it if cheap. I have no issues with picking up guys like this if they come for nothing.  

We've got too many players in his age bracket already. It's not like we are on the cusp on a Premiership. We haven't won a final in 10 years! That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ended up with us.

If Carlton were going to get him thrown in on top of the Jones trade for a second rounder, then that says a bit about his value. And if we can get him for a 3rd rounder then the answer is hells yes.

He's only got 2-3 years left but as a 5th/6th midfielder he's more than OK - he's just not the 1st/2nd midfielder that he was. Remember we got exposed and beaten by North by not really having much to combat their 5th/6th/7th midfielder through there.
If they want something much more for him then yeah, I'd pass.

To what end? He's got two years max left, in which time he would occupy a spot in the team that could be filled by someone with a long-term future, as well as denying as the opportunity to draft a good kid.
I suppose it depends on whether you think we are genuinely going to be challenging the likes of Hawthorn, Port and Sydney over the next two years. Typically teams don't play in GFs unless they have won finals the previous few seasons. Port have just done that.
I can understand the recruitment of Goddard and Chappy. Goddard had four or more years left in the tank when we got him, and is still an elite player. Like Goddard, Chappy drives club culture, training standards etc... I'm not sure Cooney does that, or is even able to train at full capacity any more.

I was under the impression that the perceived issue with Essendon was that we lacked pace in our midfield. How is a guy with two bung knees gonna fix that?

He's quicker than most of our midfield even with that...

Pre-knees he was an absolute gun. Now he's "just" a good player, he's not at the level of Watson / Heppell or even Zaha but his pace, work around the stoppage, his lateral movement & how he gets through traffic is still better than guys like Stanton, Howlett and Myers IMHO.

I love how I haven't seen the phrase "Brownlow medal winner Adam Cooney" anywhere in the media since 2010.

Could be a handy pick-up for a couple of years, especially if Winderlich doesn't play on.

By then we won't be dealing with compromised drafts anymore.

I'd rate Cooney above Melksham.