Adam Goodes Documentary

Gavin Wanganeen is on the panel after the show. Just sayin’.

1 Like

As someone who did a journalism course, I thought It was really weak as a piece of media. It didn’t offer anything new or fresh to the discussion.

At the very least, I thought they would actually be interviewing people.

Every clip I saw in it, I saw when it originally aired. I still feel the exact same way.

Not really sure what they were going for to be completely honest.

It didn’t challenge me, offend me, inspire me or provide anything that hadn’t already been covered.

2 Likes

From my memories, Goodes was getting more and more disliked following a few sniper hits and sliding, and I always remember when he whacked hirdy on a few occasions in 07.

But the level of booing and the vitriol went over the top in his last years and the footy booing got swamped by the “ I don’t like Goodes taking a stand ” booers.

2 Likes

Again ill say there was utter peices of ■■■■ that boo’d him because they didn’t like a proud aboriginal man standing up to racism.

Yes it happend but to dismiss everyone who doesn’t like goodes as racist is also not right

2 Likes

Pure clickbait.

Unacceptable behaviour, then and now. Rhys Jones behaviour on field was punished at the tribunal many many times. That should have been enough.
Rhys Jones was an absolute outlier in many respects. It’s not a good comparison.

Was that the one about 70mtrs off the ball?

1 Like

Frittering away time in the villa on Blitz, while the family argue about which Tuscan winery we go to for lunch. Now we have concensus.
I am getting to like even the $3 chianti we quaff continously.
Laters.
Go Bombers!

2 Likes

Thats a pretty fair assessment.

He copped boos for cheap hits like all footballers do…

He copped continuous booing for being the reminder of racism.

Australia has a racist history. When Goodes(and Wallas) ancestors shook a spear, white English heritage ancestors picked up rifles and shot back and put em in chains.

You either have fun with it(maybe pick a white war dance shooting an invisível gun), or you stand and respect it.

Id prob just stand and respect it. I like indigenous culture. Original contribution to art, music, sport and life.

3 Likes

Do yourselves a favour, and don’t watch the project after the documentary on 10.

A guy just said “Adam got through the gate, and he got to access wealth and power, and he got to celebrity status. But he wasn’t allowed to achieve the next level, which was to be regarded as human by Australia.”

What farking world do these people live in? Just empty platitude nonsense.

I turned it off after that.

6 Likes

It’s a historical record of facts and reactions by white commentators.As Gilbert MCAdam said in the clip in the program, it had happened to indigenous players all the time, but there were no indigenenous media reporting on it. Nor, for that matter was there any indigenous perspective in the AFL establishment.
I found the perspectives of O’Loughlin and Wanganen instructive.
From a wider perspective, it’s about the indigenous Voice in society. Many of the reactions in that documentary indicate that the indigenous are not entitled to a Voice ( unlike them).
I’d like to see a documentary of interviews with past indigenous players telling us how it was for them.

10 Likes

Imagine if someone did a fake gun and started shooting him!? Holy moly that would have been the end of the world.

1 Like

I think there’s a 3rd and 4th options that get missed alot in the dicussion, cos it’s easy to just scream racist and crown oneself winner of the whatever award they are trying to win.

the 3rd being tall poppy syndrome, which many a people of all colours have suffered, esp in this country.
like it or not, you could argue there are probably more deserving aboriginal leaders who deserve some of the acolades he got, on and off the field. so there’s that path with get their backs up that he got awards cos not only his skin colour, but simply cos he was a football player.

the 4th point is I reckon the media and vested interests had a very big hand in blowing it up into something it’s not, to create drama to sell papers and get clicks.
alot of it I don’t think was really aimed at goodes specifically, it was a backlash to the media and media personalities telling people they are racist for doing it, which IMO was only ever going to make them do it more, and he was the unfortunate focal point that they took it out on.

I think he became a guinea pig for peoples vested interests like i said, and most of it become a stubborn stand off with people wanting to fight against the media’s assertions, and the only person they could actively get to on the subject, was goodes.

10 Likes

post of the year. I think you’re spot on. I think if the media stopped drawing attention and fuelling the situation as well it would not have gone as far as it did. On a smaller scale I think it also gave people the sh*ts that he kept preaching for how people needed to change and blah blah whilst he kept acting like a spoilt diving sniping brat on the footy field.

2 Likes

Neilsen Foundation is providing scholarships for indigenous journalists in MSM. Any chance EFC could get an indigenous intern journalist student?

2 Likes

Shame it’s being broadcast by C10. The ads detract from the subject matter.

1 Like

I just think people are uncomfortable with a war dance. NZ isnt uncomfortable about the Haka. But we sure are. We are supposed to be we play em. But white New zealanders arent.

Why? Cos they had a treaty, maori culture is kiwi culture.

Goodes started a conversation unfortunately many people didnt want to have. We just had to look across the ditch.

Why do you think Sydneysiders get it? (and NSW is the one state that has voted for a treaty every single time its been put to a vote in our history).

I think its because in Sydney, people look across the ditch. Sydney is the home of rugby union in Australia and NZ is the centre of the Rugby world. And NZ got it right.

Thats it. Thats why Goodes was booed. In NSW people know they are racist(or not). Victorians and I mean the majority have no ■■■■■■■ idea.

3 Likes

I hate the project with a passion. They are all knobs, including Lisa Wilkinson. They are “A Current Affair” light, but believe themselves to be unbelievably intelligent. The amount of disingenuous, bullshit “fake news” interviews they do are pathetic. Misrepresentation city, because everyone who isn’t a misandrist and the like is also a retard in their eyes. They’re disgusting, need to be told as such on social media like Barrett.

14 Likes

Gotta be funky to understand it. I’m
Not overly funky.

1 Like

some of it could be that.

again some of it could be that the media were telling us all we are being racist we are being this we are being that and it’s effecting goodes …

then he comes out and does something that suggests the opposite, makes people wonder hang on.

again i don’t think it was the war dance itself, but that it represented ,no not his aboriginal culture or heritage in and of itself, but the fact we had the media saying we are this and that, and that’s it’s treating him badly, then comes out and acts antagonistic was the issue.
he could have celebrated a goal a little too long, or done a shush sign to the crowd etc etc and i reckon it would have got a similar reaction.

again it was just unfortunate he did something that had aboriginal relevance and therefore again the easy assumption to run with is, oh it’s cos he did a aboriginal war dance so they hate him cos he’s black.

1 Like