Adam Goodes Documentary

actually I am yet to see evidence that you haver any thought process

Ah I see. Premiership ruckman Brian Sampson was also known as Sambo.

2 Likes

He was my massage therapist for like a decade, and now his daughter does it. I never called him Sambo thoughā€¦ At least not while he was in the room.

Top bloke, pity he left the Bombers before 100 games. He was also the best street fighter in our region.

2 Likes

Good player in some rubbish sides. Wingman, I still have an old footy card somewhere.

Ah yes, the old revert to calling someone a flog in a forum about crossing the line on abuse.
ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  hypocrit. Keep pandering

1 Like

I rarely comment in threads (at least outside of DJ King) mainly because I donā€™t like arguing. But, I wanted to offer my opinion on racism.

First, I donā€™t agree with the attempt to shift the definition of racism to exclude ā€œbelief.ā€ Racism is prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that oneā€™s own race is superior. Itā€™s not what you do or say, itā€™s the beliefs underlying those actions or words that make someone racist.

Second, I think a heavy handed and simplistic approach will cause more harm than good. I noted a poster called Wimmera a racist. I think thatā€™s an extraordinary (and ridiculous) claim, lacking any proof. And claims of that nature will not lead to any meaningful dialogue about the topic. Obviously, people are free to say whatever they like, Iā€™m just saying I donā€™t think that approach is helpful.

Third, when everyone is a racist, then nobody is a racist. I think we should use the label very cautiously or it will become meaningless.

Finally, racism is obviously something that needs to be talked about, but how we go about the conversation is just as important as the arguments and points we bring to the discussion. I know this is a footy forum and everything eventually devolves into name calling. But, IMO this is a really important topic, deserving of a higher standard of conversation. I was saddened to read some of the comments in this thread and watch the conversation devolve and spiral out of control.

As MLK said, I hope we get to the stage in this country where we are judged solely by the content of our character, not by the colour of our skin. In that sense I respect Adam Goodes for the work heā€™s done both on and off the field, but I also recognise heā€™s made mistakes at times (like we all have), so I can understand people booing him when he made poor decisions on the football field. But theyā€™re in the past now. I sincerely wish him all the best for his future after football.

7 Likes

If blitz was chasing you down the street booing you then you might have had a point

1 Like

Blitz would so do this. :joy:

1 Like

There are some real intellectual heavy hitters getting around this thread.

My cats name is Mittens.

4 Likes

Whatā€™s the world coming to when you canā€™t take a guy called Army of Poon seriously

1 Like

Lots of posts from AoP ā€¦a tsunami from the Poon Army

1 Like

Turned up on my this day x years ago on facebook.

At the time I dismissed it as a poorly timed accident. Now Iā€™m not so sure.

1 Like

Give the sport editor a break? All darkies look the sameā€¦

2 Likes

I heard one of the producers of one of the Goodes documentaries talking on SEN this morning, and amongst other things discussed the indigenous connection with the land which I think we all recognise. Fair enough, but did not mention the Mabo decision at all as though that historic decision never happenedā€¦

I am interested, now over 25 years since the Mabo decision what is the indigenous view of the native title act/Mabo decision.

Perhaps understandably, maybe it did not go far enough in that some greater area of land all up could have been granted by native title. But perhaps as significant was that the concept of terra nullius was overturned as invalid.

Can someone bring me up to date on the current views on Mabo ?

Itā€™s the vibe

2 Likes

Mm hmm someone just watched The Castle

1 Like

Just recently watched the doco so reading the thread.

While Iā€™ll agree that someone from a persecuted minority taking offence at something doesnā€™t 100% mean it was offensive or racist, I vehemently disagree with your view that it depends on the intent of the speaker. People can be accidentally or sub-consciously racist, sexist, or otherwise offensive. That they didnā€™t intend to be doesnā€™t mean that the action or words werenā€™t subjectively offensive.

And not calling this out gives a pass to this type of behaviour. The classic being ā€œit was just a jokeā€. I remember when I was young there were plenty of jokes about Irishmen, Aborigines and other groups at our school in a country Victorian town. People in our town had (mostly) never met any of those groups. I donā€™t think they/we were being deliberately racist. But we sure as ā– ā– ā– ā–  were being so.

This latent or accidental racism (and sexism) is especially bad in groups and when it is coming continuously as it is very intimidating and demoralising to have to face a constant barrage or face being significantly outnumbered.

Many booing Goodes may not have consciously been intending to be racist. But when you take what was happening, the context that nothing similar occurred for other players who acted similarly on field, that it only happened to Goodes after he started speaking out on racism, that it continued after many called it out as racism, then it is hard to argue that this wasnā€™t a racist act. Regardless of the intent of some participants.

And obviously a lot of those participants are then going to be offended to be told they supported a racist act.

So if someone calls a black person ā€œā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€, not knowing that itā€™s racist, that isnā€™t a racist act anyway?

3 Likes

I can see reason in a lot of your post, and I can see reason in why indigenous people (and other minorities) might take offence at things that werenā€™t meant to be offensive.
Their subjective perception is different to the perception of others, because of their experience of discrimination/persecution/bullying etc.
They are offended - yes. But the person who has caused them to take offence is not necessarily racist, and the act/statement itself is not necessarily racist. The intent of the speaker, and their meaning can be non racist, but still offensive to the minority because of their sensitivity.

The logic of saying people should refrain from anything that might be taken as racist, even when it isnā€™t intended to be (eg booing, or less controversially, criticism), because the offence taken by the person being booed or criticised makes the action racist, is flawed.

By that logic, if the recipient is offended despite the legitimate intent of the action (or words), the action should be avoided, to avoid causing offence. For example, you shouldnā€™t call someone a racist if it causes them offence.

2 Likes