Adam Goodes Documentary

I find your view offensive and disgraceful. You should retract your comments above and accept you are in the wrong

2 Likes

This particular argument doesn’t contribute to the debate at all.

You’re not arguing that aspects of the opposite position is wrong or incorrect and providing reasons. You’re instead saying that it’s bad because people you don’t like hold a similar view.

That doesn’t prove anything except that people of differing personalities and likeability disagree with you. It doesn’t add anything to the debate. Rather it shuts it down. I am sure you can find people you don’t like who agree with you. What would that prove?

I dont think Essendon fans are special compared to any others in terms of Goodsey. The only group that would treat him well regardless are Swans fans. And thats obviously not because of racism(or lack there of). But yeah I do think as a supporter group we have a half decent history.

Most footy fans are fed a diet of the Channel 9 footy show(or were), the Channel 7 commentary team, tabloid garbage from the sun and the sanctimonious crap that comes out of fairfax. SĂł its no wonder where we form a lot of our opinions from. Im guilty for sure.

Reinforces my belief that Marngrook is the best footy show on Telly, but otherwise common sense reporting has gone down the toilet.

The doco proved that by showing about the only half decent commercial TV show on society, the weekly on Channel 10, and even then thats there often just to take the ■■■■ out of everything else.

They didn’t speak up because they probably didn’t feel comfortable doing so. Two things need to happen for change to occur. 1) A collective willingness by those who don’t like particular behaviours to voice their displeasure and 2) The collective willingness of those who dish it out to reflect on their behaviour and accept that it may be wrong.

Husbands used to beat their partners with impunity in the past but women stood up and men reflected. Blokes would boast about dishing out back-handers and their mates would laugh. Things changed when the time was right. It seems we’re not quite at that point with A Goodes but I sense we’re on the right path.

1 Like

May I disagree with you. Men were legally by law allowed to beat their wives and children in this country in the fifties. Then the law changed and some men continued the practice and still continue the practice of the bash today. Some similarities with adultery, while acceptable for men, you know the old boys will be boys, it was illegal for women and indicative of being a bad mother and women would often lose custody of the children. It was also grounds for divorce. There are of course women who belt their husbands and children and this is also becoming more common. Parenting has to be one of the hardest jobs in the world.

Whilst I’ll say the courts interpretation of the law in this country concerning Domestic Violence and Violence is a joke, who in the right mind would be a copper today? The drug and alcohol fuelled anger, violence and the amount of violence, some which is virtually unstoppable. More and more Police, Ambo’s and Hospital staff are off on stress leave because of injuries in the line of duty. The amount of people leaving the job and off on compo is rising.

Fortunately, some things have changed but the practice of men beating women and children and women beating their husbands and children often when alcohol and drugs are involved. Whilst the names used have changed and now its called Domestic Violence having worked in that area, depending on where you live as to how bad it is. The Police whilst creating AVO’s with the best intentions, in many cases aren’t worth the paper they are written on. An AVO only works if the person involved respects or is afraid of the law and the consequences of their actions. It is all too simple to say in court, I’m sorry your honour, with absolutely no intention to keep their word and every intention of doing more of the same again and again. Until there is something done about Mental Health Concerns and more facilities are re- established this problem will only continue to grow.

We are a highly addictive society and if its not drugs legal and illegal or alcohol, smoking, or it could be gambling in its many forms and technology/phones which is fastest rising addiction on the planet. Many of these things are enmeshed creative addicts can change their addiction and slide sideways into something else. Life has become more complex and many people do not know how to deal with their emotions.

The point I am trying to make is things that are seemingly acceptable one day may not be seen the same way down the track. And this change relies on intervention from both flanks.

And for the record, the withdrawal of legal protections for those who abuse their wife or partner is a good thing.

I don’t think the views of those people are worth acknowledging at all, let alone agreed with or disagreed with.

Surely at some point it’s just basic manners? Someone asking not to be insulted regardless of the how and why should be enough for polite people to stop.

5 Likes

Who should dictate the criteria?

You could be correct, but I am not sure, as we were kids and didn’t know any better, and I am sure that our Mate Sambo, loved his nickname.

Can we move this thread to the Non-Essendon Stuff board.

3 Likes

If it’s not calling for violence then I don’t care what people say. They have a right to say it, and sound like a bunch of twats for saying it. But them it’s subjective to who thinks what the people are saying or doing is twatish

Yeah - leave the Essendon board for the Dj king thread.

4 Likes

Goodes was a great footballer who was sometimes dirty and often over acted for free kicks.
But the booing was mob mentality at its worst.
I’ll never know what it’s like to be treated like a second class citizen, the documentary gave you an insight into what that might be like.

5 Likes

I don’t think children can really be “racist” as such unless some silly adult has influenced them. In saying that, they will notice a difference and point it out. I still remember the only African kid in our school once upon a time, he wasn’t even in my year level (nor in any of my siblings), but it was a school full of wogs and Aussies, we hadn’t seen someone darker than an Indian before. Sounds crazy now…

Maybe your mate was nicknames Sambo because he had a surname like Sampson rather than because of his complection.

no his name was Gary Parkes and he played 96 games for the Bombers.

This board is offensive to me and I expect that it should be shut down as I find most replies offensive.
I could decide to not come and read responses or be apart of the yin and yang, but no, I want this board disbanded as I am anxious from the deliberate attempts to quash my thought process.

Why should I, the recipient of such offensive nature be subjected to something of which I have control over

I look forward to this discussion being shut down now that I have become offended

1 Like

Has this thread invaded you? Taken your land? Oppressed you? Murdered you? Raped you? Enslaved and imprisioned you for over 200 years based on the color of your skin?

You are a deadset flog.

Sorry.

Stupid flog.

11 Likes