AFL 23 on Xbox/PS/PC

Agreed man indie games are sensational at times, but the mechanics and total budget required for an AFL game would be a bit more intense than some of those.

It’s not a very fair request, since most mainstream sports titles are licensed out by the respective leagues such that no one else can produce games for that IP.

The fact is, there are tools, engines and resources available to literally any developer that enable smaller studios to produce games at a far higher standard than anything BigAnt has put out over the last few years.

Nobody is saying an AFL needs to be FIFA quality, but it is also not that hard to produce something better than PS3 standard, especially with stuff like unreal 5 out there for anyone to utilise

1 Like

Joke.

I get what you’re saying.
And I agree to an extent.

By trying to actually match those features and graphics on the same platforms that FIFA games have, you end up comparing to them.
That’s why I think they totally reframe it all without reducing the budget.
And target the smaller hand held devices for a few years, then work up to the more graphic intense stuff.
But I’m sure, it’ll be considered that a ‘lesser’ result and expect it to cost half the price.

Those successful ‘Indie’ games also become world wide popular. I don’t think an AFL game will have that much reach yet.

1 Like

Is Ross Lyon in the game? If so please screenshot.

Developer 1 - “Who’s the new coach as Essendon?”

Develop 2 - “Um, I think its that guy who used to coach Norf…”

Developer 1 Google images coach of North Melbourne

13 Likes

10 Likes

I played it this morning……yikes. It’s so clunky and chaotic. I hope they can fix it in time as their previous version before Wicked Witch took over (2011/2012 maybe) was pretty good.

Its completely embarrasing that it was released like this. WTF we’re they thinking

Could have called it AFLX2023

My guess would be that the AFL had a set date they wanted the game out by (and it was already pushed back a few weeks). I reckon if it was totally up to the developer, this game would have probably been held back another 8-10 weeks, because there is still a bit to implement and test.

I suspect the AFL wants to get in on that e-sports market as per FIFA, NBA, F1 etc. It’s probably their best avenue to promoting AFL to a global market.

They should have just waited until the eve of 2024 and called it AFL24. Game test for an extra 6 months and iron out the kinks. Then you can adjust all the coach/player changes. The AFL hands out millions so should have invested more in this.

If you were going to buy you wouldn’t even bother for 6 months post release anyway until they get to all the patches. From what I’ve seen handballing looks trash, players run away from the ball and apprently in every ruck contest it bounces 20m in the direction of whomever won the contest.

1 Like

If only Brad had an identical twin who also coached that they could have used if Brad’s appointment was too late for game developers to get a face scan.

4 Likes