AFL Cheating Rascals

if only North had gone to gold coast & Footscray gone to western Sydney we wouldn’t have these issues

4 Likes

Just what blitz needs - another lynch mob!

This is blatant salary cap tampering by the AFL, of all the people to pay to be an ambassador, why would they pick a bloke who’s looking to leave (other than because the GCS can’t afford him.)

Seriously, people on the GC who do’nt give a flying fark about AFL certainly aren’t going to GAF about what Lynch says (even if the DO know who he is).

They would be better off paying a celebrity outside of football to promote the game.

3 Likes

Taking four teams out of the comp would make it so much better.

4 Likes

Since Tom Lynch seems to miss half a season each year due to injury, on top of his extra pay, the AFL may as well pump him full of CJC-1295 with a dash of TB-4 to keep him out on the field longer, so that they get value for their money.

2 Likes

Surely an ambassador role, needs to be a movie star, not some bloke most people haven’t heard of.

The Rock for instance.

1 Like

Add Sydney as the 4th. Effective immediately.

3 Likes

As good as it would be to advance a final by default.

I’d give up that to see Nth booted. They only just get bigger crowds than Brisbane. Irrelevant club.

1 Like

In my opinion, if a player is going to be paid as an ‘ambassador to the sport’, it should be mandatory that they wear an appropriate Ambassadorial Hat and Cloak for all games. I would suggest something like this:

12 Likes

Holy moly, the salt in this thread, wowee.

I’m ok with this idea from the AFL. Players in Vic/SA/WA have numerous opportunities to bolster their income and post-football career because of the profile they have here. A very prominent player works for a client of mine - he started 1 day a week a couple of years ago and transitioned into a full time gig now he’s done with footy. All because the client was all like, “Jeez how good would it be to have [player] working for us” so they could parade him around at meetings and such. Then you’ve got your TV ads for Lite n Easy and Southwest Motor Group and Souvlaki Hut. And clinics at private schools. And probably a whole bunch of other sht we never hear about.

Now footballers up in desolate shtholes like Brisbane and Gold Coast. They look at their peers absolutely cleaning up and wonder how they can get in on some of that action. But they don’t have the local profile yet. So they can’t get sht. Where are the opportunities? Melbourne.

So it seems the AFL have actually identified this as an issue for QLD players, and are starting to do something about it while the game is still building a profile there.

1 Like

Probably roughly the same amount other Victorian teams lose in the same time period.

1 Like

So, play out your career at Gold Coast on the already incredibly substantial footballer salary, then move to Melbourne post career?

Tom Lynch’s life post footy isn’t as important as an actual “level playing field”. This is no different to the COLA (Cost Of Lance Allowance) rort at Sydney.

4 Likes

Which is different to the GC team…

1 Like

I wouldn’t recognise him if I passed him on the street.

How is that an amabassador role, if most people have no clue who he is?

So, … Sydney, after a fair bit of success, and heaps of time to build a following definitely dd not need a COLA,…and GWS are doing OK, so they shouldn’t require any (more) help,… but would we be OK with GCS getting some sort of extra cap for retention until it gets itself upright?

1 Like

It’s classic AFL ad-hoc policy. The lack of consistency is what infuriates people.

What about Brisbane? They had a big cost of living/retention allowance too (despite it being cheaper to live in Brisbane than Melbourne…), they won 3 premierships because of it, AFL took it away after McGuire raised a stink about it (understandably so, having watched his side beaten in two consecutive GFs by Brisbane), and then they flopped a few seasons later and have been horrendous for the last decade.

There was a whole lot of media talk earlier this year about 2017 being the first year of complete salary cap equality since the national competition started in 1987. Six months later and AFL HQ has changed its mind. It’s beyond pathetic.

5 Likes

If they want AFL in Non-football states, they’d be better off getting rid of the teams from up there and scheduling each club to play one fixture a year in each state.

They say the comp had to go national to survive, we’ll it’s costing more to prop these clubs up. So make it semi national - 2 teams from WA, 2 from SA, 1 from Tas, Us, Carl, Coll, Rich, Haw, Geel, VIC Country (incorporating WB, Mel, Saints & Roos).

Less teams, better quality, fairer fixture, but same amount of rounds and bigger crowds combined at 6 games per week than there would be at the 9 games now.

Stop ruining the game by trying to make something work that just wont.

WILL NEVER HAPPEN - but should

1 Like

And Johannesburg.
:wink:

1 Like

It will work.

Just need to keep working on it over time.

Baby steps.

1 Like

Nickname: the “Woomba wombas”. That’d get annoying quickly.

I’d be adding North to that list.

2 Likes