AFL Draft 2018 Thread

I’m looking forward to the AFL hitting Sydney with a big stick and Diggers having a big cry about it

1 Like

I heard they’re going to fine them and re-run the first round of selections at midday. Five minutes of consideration will still be compulsory for each pick.

The rest of the draft will then occur on Saturday. Better ratings, as a side bonus.

Forgive me, no mention of this on the AFL site, they are totally consumed by the top 10 picks. When does the second stage of the draft start ?

Hill would be nice, not sold on the other two.

1 Like

12PM today apparently. Given we were not in the 1st round I didn’t even bother to watch it last night. The AFL really have butchered it with this format…

6 Likes

I once worked with a dude who we called Adelaide. Because he was always half an hour behind.

4 Likes

Stack will be a very good player. Theres a lot to like

2 Likes

The Swans committed AFL approved cheating.

Agree, but he’ll be long gone at pick 36 yeah?

Hill won’t get through West Coast’s two picks coming up surely?

Fark Carlton will argue they rated the bloke they took at pick 19 in the top 5, so they traded back next year to get him.

Win, lose or draw, they will still get their priority pick.

Joke is on Adelaide though. Gold Coast will more than likley get picks 1 and 2 and if Harbrow goes perhaps 3 as well. If the Saints finish second last they might get 4 and 5 leaving Adelaide with 6 and Carlton with 7.

Though I suspect that the Saints will need to do the 3 player thing that GC and Carlton did this season first.

The problem with all this pick trading is that most people don’t understand it.

Most people watching just want to see:

• Who do we pick up?
  • What position does he play?
  • Does he seem like a nice young man?
  • Does he have a nice family? (i.e did his Mum cry? Is his sister/girlfriend/mum hot?)

Most people have no idea how the pick trading, academy and FS bidding works.

2 Likes

Zac Foot.

Want.

Why would all these priority picks be handed out? There was only one this year that early to Gold Coast for Lynch.

1 Like

:rofl:

Harbrow is 30 and average.

He’d be lucky to get picked up by another club at all, if he left.

No folks, it called equalization, you got that?

How can the AFL accept two parts of a trade, either side of a father son bid

Seems nothing short of ridiculous

3 Likes

Another issue overlooked with the academy/father son and fairy dust points system is the discount that applies. All first round picks get a 20 point discount on matched bids and then after that it is fixed at 197 points - the discount of pick 18. I have never understood why you need a discount. The idea behind the points and bids was to allow players to be taken at fair value. So this means you get a double advantage - firstly you can match any other bid on a player and secondly you pay less. I think the matching ability is more than enough without having to need a discount.

2 Likes

I say bravo to Sydney for outsmarting the system. As they say, rules are there to be exploited.

1 Like

True if all they did was take advantage of the rules. Not saying they didn’t.
If you want to minimise rules being exploited then you have less rules and less complexity and less open to subjective interpretation.

2 Likes