AFL Draft 2018 Thread

Who’s aren’t though… am I right??

There’s a skit from Martin Malloy where they rang up a sex line. Tony pretended to be a confused octogenarian who noted the rear action hotline would service his every need. He wanted someone to do the hedges and clean up the back yard. Then the stated he was in a rear action during world war 2 and if they had any literature on it.

The girl by this stage had stopped the pretence and ■■■■■■■ her self with laughter. told him she’d made her day.

The bit that got me was when he asked what time midday was on and she totally lost it. She was a really good sport who believed he was a real Rotarian. He said he’d be gutted if he missed Kerry Anne.

I lost it too and have never forgotten midday since. Or the rear action hotline.

8 Likes

You knew it was going to be a long night when they stretched out Carlton’s pick 1 for the whole 5 mins.

I hate how they have farked around with the format and the whole split over 2 days thing, but I still enjoy seeing the young guys being picked and seeing their (and their family’s) joy.

3 Likes

Predictably bad BUT always interesting to see just how compromised the draft is. The Sydney trade shows they are still razor sharp and I applaud them for making it work however no doubt it was tampering and should have been spotted by the AFL. Essentially block the trade to get back into the early 20’s and they would have been left with egg on their face and no one would have tried the stunt again…

Don’t like the split system style… doesn’t suit our small market game.

AFL absolutely trying to replicate NFL but where they are going wrong is not understanding that NFL has 1000x more followers… AND fans actually legitimately know the players coming through as they have watched them at college level. Let’s face it… outside of the real diehard fans… most AFL fans don’t have a clue who these 17 year olds are… and neither to the presenters! This kind of means that is just a parade of dudes that no one knows or really cares about other than the specific team in question who decides instantly if they have ‘won’ the draft.

Finally the horrific trade of Carlton. There is no way you could be confident of FC finishing higher than 15th next year… so their first rounder next year is likely to be in the pick 1-3 range. On the flipside Adelaide are coming off a disappointing season but only 12 months removed from a GF… so there is every reason to think a ‘bounce back’ could occur that sees them legitimately finishing in the top 5. That makes their pick (after dodgy deals) probably around the 16-18 range.

So Adelaide has just traded (as a guide) pick 19 this year and pick 17 next year for pick 2 next year… that is a steal in anybodies language… like steal, steal, steal. Worst case scenario, FC ‘wins’ the spoon again next year and Adelaide bounce back and lose to us on GF day… meaning they just traded #19 and #20 odd for #1… yikes!

4 Likes

how can sydney trade 26 for a future 3rd rounder??

fkn joke

4 Likes

Surely Carlton believe that if they finish bottom 4 they will be able to get a first round priority pick from the AFL. So say if they finish with the wooden spoon again, sure Adelaide get pick 1 but they are operating from the belief they would get a priority pick after their normal pick which would be pick 2.

The fact they were willing to trade their 2019 first round draft pick tonight should automatically rule the. Ineligible for a first round priority pick next year. They are clearly trying to game the system. Good luck to them, but unlike Sydney they should not be allowed to get away with it.

6 Likes

Looking at other sports with a draft…do any have a discount point system for certain players?

No they don’t. The points system makes the draft completely compromised. Yet I believe the points system could be easily fixed. All you need to say is you need to have a pick in the next round to match. This would remove the horrible point stacking trades which make it impossible work out when your second round pick will be or dodgy deals like the Sydney move like tonight. With live trading this is easily done as well - you don’t have the pick to match, then trade for a pick so you can match.

3 Likes

Just saw that Carlton traded next years first round pick (pick 1-4) for Liam Stoker at pick 19.

Their last pick 19 was Blaine Boekhorst.

4 Likes

Swans in WCE 2019 3rd round,22
Eagles in 26, swans 2019 2nd round

Second trade was more balanced than first trade. But really need to be seen together to reflect true weighting.

Eagles go back 4 spots but Move a 2019 3rd rd to swans second. Round.

If trades done before Blakey would have lost early pick. 26/22

They also get Adelaide’s 1st rounder next year

Surely the FC trade was pushed and endorsed by the AFL to have one of these love trades go through?

1 Like

Good on swans for finding a deal that preserved the pick 24. This is the kind of this the trading allows for in the draft. It’s nit a loop hole, it’s the system and it’s good for clubs.

2 Likes

Nor is it cheating or dodgy. The afl approved and allowed the deal before it was done.

So well done swans, the rules are made to be “worked” and they did just that. If it was us, we’d be jumping up and down with glee.

How about McNeice as an international rookie or whatever it is, just because his mum is Indian…? That’s prob more of a rort.

2 Likes

Sometimes Midday used to be on the television at 11:30 here.

More proof that Adelaide has always been ahead of the curve.

1 Like

You won’t be so boastful when you get Armageddon 30 mins early.

4 Likes

You mean the rapture?

Gives me half an hour to put the kettle on for the rest of you.

Except @Crazy_Bomber, of course.

3 Likes

For those into AFL conspiracy theories.

The McGovern trade involved Carlton, Adelaide and Sydney. Maybe they are all invitative traders or maybe the live pick trades were allways part of that transaction.

Only once you go right down the AwFuL’s rabbit hole. Take it back to basics: one, the whole point of the draft is to balance teams as per their recent performance, and two, this manoeuvre was entirely contrived (a good comparison being a “wash sale” used to reduce one’s tax).

It’s a joke.

I don’t know how many times this will need to happen before the AFL will admit the system is compromised. In this case it could have been rejected as a not-balanced trade under the existing rules, but there could well be a scenario where there is a balanced swap but both massively benefit because they’re both after father-son/academy kids.

What seems like the obvious solution to me is the kid costs the magical fairydust points of the opposing bid (minus discount percent?) or the points associated with their next pick as if trading had never happened.

1 Like

As much as the live trading was a shambles, it’s the academy system that truly fks the draft. At least with F/S you already hate whoever it is that goes to an opposition club. The academy system was meant to help disadvantaged areas, but it throws up 3 top 15 picks in a supposedly strong draft, while pushing everyone else back. This isn’t a development thing, it’s just making 20% of the draft pool untouchable.

On another note, imagine if we’d lost a top 10 FS to Sydney because of some rules. I mean if your old man is on coaching staff you hardly are from a disadvantaged cohort. If I was a (the?) North fan (or even a Brisbane fan) I would be completely headless (and would be more so when Blakey turns into a Bont type)

7 Likes