Afl round 6- non essendon games

Nice dive by Buddy

Positive is
The more wins the more they over rate their list

which would be nothing like we would do with our list...

Touché!

the interpretation of holding the ball makes the afl level borderline unwatchable at the moment. watching the vfl today they rarely if ever ping the guy who makes the play by attaching the ball and then gets jumped on. in the afl theyencourage you to throw and drop the ball at every opportunity. infuriating. 

kennedy harris there  busted a gut to get there, make the spoil, win the ball on the ground, get to his feet, get taken front on an head high then have it held to him. he got pinged, total total bullshit. sort this crap out mark evans.

BTW that harris has serious game. 

the interpretation of holding the ball makes the afl level borderline unwatchable at the moment. watching the vfl today they rarely if ever ping the guy who makes the play by attaching the ball and then gets jumped on. in the afl theyencourage you to throw and drop the ball at every opportunity. infuriating. 

kennedy harris there  busted a gut to get there, make the spoil, win the ball on the ground, get to his feet, get taken front on an head high then have it held to him. he got pinged, total total bullshit. sort this crap out mark evans.

BTW that harris has serious game. 

It's just absurd how they can change the rules from one week to another.

Fwiw it was Neville Jetta

Have to say, Dee’s defensive structure seems more effective than ours.

Pederson has been good; Pyke and Dericxk look like they can be exposed around the ground

Not sure if Melbourne have improved or Sydney has gone to ■■■■.

Fwiw it was Neville Jetta
Have to say, Dee's defensive structure seems more effective than ours.
Pederson has been good; Pyke and Dericxk look like they can be exposed around the ground

have the sound down, - racist.

that being the case he has more of a crack than ours.

I was in the city today, so I thought I’d drop in to Etihad to watch the game.

WC just seemed to wear them down, and had total control in the first 10-15 minutes of the last qtr.

The crowd were almost resigned to their fate, and I noticed a number of Carlton supporters leaving.

For all their domination in the early part of that last qtr, they were wasteful in front of goals, and it don’t think they kicked the ball well to their forwards all day.This continued.

Nonetheless, they were the only ones scoring.

Even though they had only kicked 1 goal, a couple of behinds had edged the margin close to 4 goals.

Then, at 11 minutes, Rosa took the mark inside 50.

I thought he should have played on immediately.

Would have had a few steps to steady and kick from about 40 out.

He elected to go back behind the mark, which made it a difficult kick from around 50.He duly missed to the near side.

Then, a minute later was the moment WC lost the game (in hindsight).

Not sure how this looked on the replay, or if the commentators made comment of it.

Ball went over the back and Cripps ran onto it.

He was under pressure from behind and Lycetts man also left him to pressure Cripps.

He had to know that he had a man at the top of the square ( Lycett is hard to miss).

A joe the goose handball over the top and it’s a 5 goal lead and game over.

It was a woeful decision to have a shot, and Lycett quite rightly, let him know about it.

The door was left adjar, Carlton get a goal 2 minutes later, and suddenly the crowd is involved.

They gain the momentum and kick the next 4.

Good luck to them, but that’s a devastating loss for WC.

Sounds harsh, and I probably need to see the replay, but from where I was (standing behind those goals), Cripps’ error cost them the game.

Fark the Carlton/ Eagles game was a terrible skill level.

Buddy off with a knee injury. Getting it iced.

Fark the Carlton/ Eagles game was a terrible skill level.

But most importantly, was there any serious injuries to cheer me up?

Yarran, aggravated an old soft tissue injury(?) apparently

Buddy subbed out. Goodes on

I must say, the west australian football fans certainly hung ■■■■ on me for our performance a bit too early I think.

Dees still suck, but at least aren't looking like a total rabble.  Salem looks like he could be a player, got some genuine class.

Dees still suck, but at least aren't looking like a total rabble. Salem looks like he could be a player, got some genuine class.

Were able to move it to within 50m pretty easily at times, and handball amongst themselves which is the play de jour. hope they improve, probably the least hated of the entire league for mine

Melbourne will ruin salem, just like they do everyone else

Melbourne will ruin salem, just like they do everyone else

I'm curious to who Melbourne have "ruined".  It's not like any of the busts they've picked have gone on to be stars elsewhere.  Maybe Scott Thompson, but he showed plenty at Melbourne.  I always hear that "former Melbourne top draft pick" could be awesome if you get him away from Melbourne, but it never happens.  I think the simplest explanation is the correct one here:  They just can't pick good players.  

Maybe Salem will be another one, it was only one quarter of one game, but I don't think Melbourne will "ruin him".  It'll be up to him whether he makes it or not.

I think "Melbourne's development program ruins junior footballers" is a simpler explanation than "Melbourne repeatedly pick highly rated juniors, that other clubs would have taken with similar draft picks, who turn out to be no good".

Picking a player who merely plays poorly at a bad club isn't ruining them. Ruining a player is immersing an 18 year old in a toxic culture of failure for four or five years and systematically removing the confidence, skills, and instincts that made them a good footballer. Moving to another club doesn't fix that, or at least not quickly enough for them to earn another contract when the new club realises they've traded in the withered husk of a once promising young player.

That's not to say they don't also pick duds a lot.

Buddy off with a knee injury. Getting it iced.

He'll still be at Billboard tonight

I think "Melbourne's development program ruins junior footballers" is a simpler explanation than "Melbourne repeatedly pick highly rated juniors, that other clubs would have taken with similar draft picks, who turn out to be no good".

Picking a player who merely plays poorly at a bad club isn't ruining them. Ruining a player is immersing an 18 year old in a toxic culture of failure for four or five years and systematically removing the confidence, skills, and instincts that made them a good footballer. Moving to another club doesn't fix that, or at least not quickly enough for them to earn another contract when the new club realises they've traded in the withered husk of a once promising young player.

That's not to say they don't also pick duds a lot.

Look at every draft in every sport.  There are duds everywhere, even in the top 10.  The success rate on top 10 draft picks is much lower than you probably think.  Do you really think that, say, Ollie Wines would be crap right now if Melbourne had taken him?  He got drafted by a team that was almost as much of a joke as the Dees were at the time and contributed immediately.  And at the time, there were plenty of people who thought the Dees should have drafted him over Toumpas.

So yeah, I think the simplest explanation is that there are highly rated duds in every draft and Melbourne have had a knack for falling for them.  Hopefully Salem turns the tables, because he looks like a genuinely classy player and such players are fun to watch.