AFL to trial names on jumpers

Why do the AFL just need to change things.

Leave the ■■■■■■■ game alone.

They are gonna have to make the letters that spell ‘Bellchambers’ so small, it will look like ‘beachcomber’ from a distance

I'm not sure why anybody gives a ■■■■. 

I'm not sure why anybody gives a ****. 

Dont worry, Benzina will stop it.

Meh, at least it will help me to put a name to the player I’m abusing

Just another smokescreen to keep the media from asking questions. First it's equalisation on Tuesday, this today...the other big one is the night grand final.

Should there be footy on Good Friday?
Should Essendon and Collingwood only be allowed ANZAC day?

roberts - thompson will look good

Has Dipper got any sons coming up?

Kid 'd have to wear long sleeve his whole career.

Maybe it's because I live overseas, but I really don't know what you are all complaining about.
Clash jumpers and names on uniform are good enough for the NY Yankees, LA Lakers, and Manchester United, but not for Essendon???
It reeks of insecurity to think that we need to stick to totally illogical customs to keep the uniqueness of our game.
Footy is unique because of the skills involved, the highlights, the ground size, the crowds and a whole host of other reasons.
Clash jumpers make total sense for an 18 team competition where clashes are inevitable, and favouring the old teams who cry about tradition is absolute hogwash. Embrace the change and encourage a totally new Essendon jumper. Marketing and sales of Bombers gear can only help the club in its current financial state.
Names on uniforms likewise when there are now 396 players running around each week. Footy is accessible not only in new markets in Australia, but also via the internet around the entire world. It will also help players who get fewer possessions but are doing important things around packs and off the ball.
As a marketing person, I can assure you that letting tradition get in the way of adapting to changing markets is a recipe for disaster.

Appreciate yor input, but a "recipe for disaster" couldn't be further from the truth. Over a hundred years AT EVERY LEVEL of Aussie rules this is how it's done. Marketers have done enough to change and in my opinion ruin the match day and home viewing experience already.
It's a red herring people. AFL media unit are back from holidays and just trying to deflect from the obvious.

Why are they bothering to call this a trial.

Staged implementation is what it is.

Do they really think anyone is going to say "no, we saw them Rounds 3 to 6 and now think it's a bad idea"?

I would like to play with 'fark you Vlad ’ on the back of my jumper.

Well what’s the point of numbers then ?

Maybe it's because I live overseas, but I really don't know what you are all complaining about.

Clash jumpers and names on uniform are good enough for the NY Yankees, LA Lakers, and Manchester United, but not for Essendon???

It reeks of insecurity to think that we need to stick to totally illogical customs to keep the uniqueness of our game. 

Footy is unique because of the skills involved, the highlights, the ground size, the crowds and a whole host of other reasons.

Clash jumpers make total sense for an 18 team competition where clashes are inevitable, and favouring the old teams who cry about tradition is absolute hogwash. Embrace the change and encourage a totally new Essendon jumper. Marketing and sales of Bombers gear can only help the club in its current financial state.

Names on uniforms likewise when there are now 396 players running around each week. Footy is accessible not only in new markets in Australia, but also via the internet around the entire world. It will also help players who get fewer possessions but are doing important things around packs and off the ball.

As a marketing person, I can assure you that letting tradition get in the way of adapting to changing markets is a recipe for disaster.

New York Yankees don't have names on the back of their home strip.

That is absolute tosh, and if you were a marketing person, you know you should either study the market you are commenting on , or leave the comparisons alone.

You would be better (and more accurate) to compare Australian football to Kabaddi, the sport played in Southern Asia to any of the North American sports or Soccer, the sport with the largest following in the world.

To go on and suggest teams such as the NY Yankees have ANY comparison to Australian sport is ludicrous.

When Matsui was playing for them, the Yankees sold more licensed jerseys in Japan than we sell jumpers for any one team in Australia.

As for Manchester United, we're not them either. We're not Manchester City either.

In fact, if we're going on Mancunian theme, WIgan Athletic is probably a closer fit to any of the Australian teams in terms of domestic and international reach.

But they're hardly and sexy and interesting as Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool who could just about draw 50,000 to a game anywhere in the world.

If Collingwood and Essendon played each other in any other city in the world apart from Melbourne, they wouldn't get 5,000, not counting the supporters from Melbourne who would travel to the game to watch it.

As far as the practical side of things, the names will not be seen by spectators, as they will be too small. They will be seen on TV only when the game has stopped, because the game is faster than any sport except ice hockey. (Who use names on jerseys, and you can never read them)

This is purely a marketing exercise to make sure people buy new jumpers every time a player leaves. And like most AFL initiatives based on short term grabs for cash, the expected million dollar pay day never comes.

Yes, there will be more money in this than not doing it, there will be thousands of dollars.

But there won't be millions of dollars, and is it worth changing the unique aspects of our game to try and replicate something we're better than, simply because they make so much out of it because of the reach of the British Empire in the 1800s, or the American TV culture since the 1960-70s?

Personally, I don't see the benefits (small change) being worth adding unnecessary clutter to the backs of jumpers that already have numbers to identify players, and sponsorship to keep the money coming into the clubs.

So; Jumper sales.

The AFL get 12.5% of the whole sale value of a jumper.

So a jumper that sells for $100 at Rebel is about $50 wholesale.

The AFL makes $6.25. Of that 66% goes to the club whose merchandise is sold.

So each club makes $4.12, and the AFL keeps $2.12

Thousands of jumpers per year get sold, and will be sold anyway.

Names on jumpers means that the Crameri and Gumbleton ones gets put in a cupboard and the people with them buy new ones.

Woop de doo. We're possibly talking about an extra couple of grand a year, and for teams like Melbourne and the Bulldogs, who sell 1.4 & 2 % of the AFL merchandise respectively, it will make virtually no difference at all. 

So please, the AFL is talking ****, and you're just parroting it back to us like it was a genius idea.

The numbers do not add up, because the market is nothing like the examples you've included.

Just keep it simple guys, buy a jumper without a number or name on it and then you don't have to change it.

Melbourne have been doing it for over a hundred years, makes sense the other clubs follow suit.

Well played number seven!

You make a good point.

Essendon FC were around, with a black & red jumper, ~10 years before Newton Heath FC (30 years before they became Man Utd, in the recognisable red kit), 30 years before the Baltimore Orioles (before they moved to NY, 40 years before they became the NY Yankees), and 70 years before the Minneapolis Lakers (90 for the LA Lakers).

Our history stretches back further than any of them - since the 1870s, we didn't have to change cities, names or jumpers: as all of those "historic" teams have.

Which rather nicely sums up why anyone and everyone in marketing can go and get stuffed: No appreciation of history, no care,everything not bolted down is up for sale.

I don't really see the problem. Then again, I don't see the need either.
What annoys me is that this seems like another example of the AFL ******* with things that were fine the way they were, so they can congratulate themselves for doing sonething. Clowns.

Yep, agree. No problem with it, but no need for it.
However, someone should explain the difference between change and innovation to the AFL.

F889XkQ.jpg

To me this just looks way to busy and really what are the chances you'll even see the name.

Who's Harvey Mazda?

When we have Fletchers, Hirds, Lloyds and Longs running around in years to come the kids supporting essendon will see the name on the jumper and not take notice if the number. They won’t recognise the history and tradition, and that’s a shame.