AFLW 2022(B) fixture - more games to be moved?

I was complaining about this yesterday, there is no way North Port Oval can fit both fanbases for two newly established teams playing each other. They ran out of pies at half time and had a seperate line for chips and coffee!

Guess I’ll see the rest of you guys on the bridge over the player race again!

1 Like

Looks a pretty kind draw to me.

RD OPPONENT 2022(A) ladder spot
1 Hawthorn n/a
2 Carlton 8
3 West Coast Eagles 14
4 Richmond 11
5 Collingwood 6
6 Brisbane Lions 3
7 Geelong Cats 12
8 Sydney n/a
9 Melbourne 2
10 Port Adelaide n/a

SSENDON and Hawthorn are set to launch their AFLW programs in a head-to-head Saturday night fixture in round one, but there is a push from the clubs’ head coaches to have the game moved to a bigger venue.

Currently slated for Port Melbourne’s ETU Stadium, which recently hosted the VFLW Grand Final, Hawthorn head coach Bec Goddard is leading the campaign to sell it out and force a move to Marvel Stadium.

AFLW Hawks head coach Bec Goddard (right) speaks to the media along side AFLW Bombers head coach Natalie Wood during the 2022 AFLW Season Seven Fixture Launch at Ikon Park on July 4, 2022. Picture: Getty Images

“We’ve got great expectations of our fans, we know that Hawthorn and Essendon traditionally hate each other with the passion of a thousand suns, and I’m so excited about the opportunity that we have to sell this game out,” Goddard said.

"Huge numbers turned out yesterday and the ground was really creaking. If we sell it out, it’s going to have to get moved to Marvel. I would love to see it move to Marvel and let our players in our inaugural teams and all of our fans be able to attend that game.

“I checked. There doesn’t seem to be anything else on (at Marvel Stadium). So, hashtag move it to Marvel, the movement starts here.”

Hawthorn’s No.2 pick Jasmine Fleming with coaches Kaitlyn Ashmore and Bec Goddard during the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft at Marvel Stadium on June 29, 2022. Picture: AFL Photos

Essendon head coach Natalie Wood echoed the sentiment, focusing on amenities to allow families to enjoy the match.

“I think there’s a tipping point where that if families can’t come along to watch the game because of the size, then perhaps that’s when we need to look at ‘is there a venue that best allows our families to come and attend?’”

(L-R): Madison Prespakis, Amber Clarke and Natalie Wood at the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft on June 29, 2022. Picture: AFL Photos

There is precedent for games being upgraded to larger venues in response to engagement and ticket sales. The first ever AFLW match in 2017 was originally planned to take place at Olympic Park before being upgraded to Ikon Park - which was then a lockout - and in its first season, all of Richmond’s home games were moved from Punt Road Oval due to the limited capacity.

Another game set to take place at ETU Stadium is North Melbourne v Melbourne in round two, despite both sides having home grounds available throughout the season.

The packed Ikon Park stands during the first ever AFLW match in 2017. Picture: AFL Photos

Hawthorn will split its home games across Box Hill City Oval and Skybus Stadium in Frankston, while the Western Bulldogs will host home games at Ikon Park and Mars Stadium while Whitten Oval undergoes redevelopment.

Sydney is fixtured to host home games at North Sydney Oval and Henson Park, while also hosting a game at each of the SCG and Punt Road. Meanwhile, GWS will also play the bulk of its home games at Henson Park, with no games scheduled at Blacktown for its first season in AFLW history.

They absolutely should move it to Marvel and I’m not 100% certain this wasn’t a plan all along.

If these clubs are serious about launching this properly, it can’t be played at this place. There must be a better venue choice, surely. Two big clubs. Promote it properly and make it big!

1 Like

Yeah, their response to the coaches saying it’s bullshit at the launch may be indicative.

• All 18 clubs will host an Indigenous Round clash, with celebrations spread across Rounds 3 and 4. There will be the first-ever AFLW Dreamtime Match between Essendon and Richmond in 2022.
  • Friday Night Footy will see double-headers across women’s and men’s competitions, being played for the full 10 weeks.
  • All Saturday games across September will be floating to maximise double-header opportunities throughout the 2022 Toyota AFL Finals Series.

Very pleased that this club will be playing footy in September.

5 Likes

Can’t wait for round one… they’re gonna be crying even more!

Is Courtney Ugle on the AFLW list ?

No, she isn’t.

Goodness gracious… i only watched the grand final but her foot skills looked better than some of the men in our “elite” system.

Bit disappointed our first ever AFLW game didn’t get moved to a bigger venue, but very excited nonetheless!

2 Likes

Has our useless club still not explained why we are playing home games in ■■■■■■■ Port Melbourne?

1 Like

Just getting my tixs and I am being charged $1.95 handling fee for EACH TICKET I buy…

Ticketmaster… GTFO

Two done; WA game doesn’t become available till 10am their time.

Odd that Port Melbourne had “grandstand general admission” for Dawks but not Fark Carlton. Though it was gone before I (anyone?) got in.

Got the ticketmaster ones, now for ticketek.

1 Like

Could you get the Coll V Ess game tix from Ticketek? It wasn’t listed for me.

Didn’t try. I leave the country hours after attending the round 3 game in Perth.

1 Like

That game is listed on Ticketmaster for me

1 Like