AFLW 2022(B) fixture - more games to be moved?

Thanks heaps, just found it and got a tix.

1 Like

I over slept and panicked. Thank god I got a ticket

1 Like

Would be nice if any of the plethora of social channels Essendon manages were talking about tickets… or memberships… or anything.

edit: i did get an sms this morning, so I guess there’s that.

3 Likes

Can someone tell me why the charge to change the venue to Marvel is all coming from Hawthorn yet nothing from our ■■■■ club??

Why arevwe against playing this game at Marvel??

3 Likes

Instead of MCG, we’re going for port Melbourne cricket ground

It’s been awhile since I’ve gone to Port Melbourne’s ground but given the historical context to this game, I’d think the ground couldn’t possibly hold the amount of potential spectators.

Stupid this isn’t being played somewhere larger.

Essendon head coach Natalie Wood echoed the sentiment, focusing on amenities to allow families to enjoy the match.

“I think there’s a tipping point where that if families can’t come along to watch the game because of the size, then perhaps that’s when we need to look at ‘is there a venue that best allows our families to come and attend?’”

1 Like

Nothing from X, probably stoked with Port Melbourne and it’s proximity to his estate.

1 Like

I’ve done my part and got tixs.

2 Likes

This is such a stupid approach to getting it moved. I’ve got a ticket to Port now that I’ve got zero intention of using if the game doesn’t move.

5 Likes

Stupid Xavier!

#MoveItToMarvel

1 Like

BOTH Essendon and Hawthorn are expecting their round one AFLW Saturday night blockbuster to be moved from ETU Stadium to Marvel Stadium.

There has been increasing excitement over the first ever AFLW match for each of the powerhouse clubs, with tickets going on sale on Wednesday morning.

The Bombers’ VFLW side attracted a strong following through its finals campaign (which resulted in a flag) earlier this year, as did the Hawks, who made the second week of finals.

Womens.afl understands there have been differing assessments of the capacity of North Port Oval from a range of stakeholders, with additional infrastructure (e.g. toilets) needed in order to host AFLW games with the expected attendance.

There is also precedence for moving games after strong ticket sales, with the first ever AFLW game between Collingwood and Carlton shifted from the AIA Centre to Ikon Park.

If the match is moved, it may open the door for other ETU Stadium games to be transferred, with the first AFLW Dreamtime match between Richmond and Essendon also scheduled for the inner-city ground.

The ground will also host clashes in round two between fierce AFLW rivals Melbourne and North Melbourne, and the traditional Essendon and Carlton pairing.

Essendon’s remaining home games will be played at Reid Oval (Warrnambool) and Ikon Park (part of an AFLW double-header at the ground).

Essendon Football Club calls on the AFL to move their inaugural AFLW home match to Marvel Stadium.

The game is currently scheduled to be played at Port Melbourne on the 27th of August.

Demand for Essendon’s inaugural AFLW match against fellow newcomers Hawthorn has seen thousands of tickets snapped up in today’s on-sale. With fewer than 300 tickets remaining and many members and fans yet to make their purchases CEO Xavier Campbell has requested that the AFL move the round one blockbuster to Marvel Stadium.

“This morning we saw unprecedented demand for our first AFLW game.” Campbell said.

“The game will be announced as a sell-out shortly, and while that is a cause for celebration it will also unfortunately mean a significant number of our members and supporters won’t be able to show their support should it remain scheduled at ETU Stadium.”

“Playing our arch rival Hawthorn in such a defining fixture for both clubs will be a great spectacle, that is deserving of being played at a venue such as Marvel.”

“As such, we are calling on the AFL to move our game to Marvel in order to appropriately celebrate our inaugural home game”.

“This move will allow more of the Red and Black faithful to fill the stands and show their support in what is an historic moment for the Essendon Football Club.”

“The club has been in constant dialogue with the AFL to move this match and given today’s events, we ask that AFL move promptly on our request to change the location to Marvel Stadium.”

With round one fast approaching the club is expectant that the request will be honoured and that the inaugural match will be played in front of a crowd befitting of the occasion.

1 Like

This is soooooooo a worked shoot.

4 Likes

Great news, will likely attend now if its at Marvel.

1 Like

If they get 40k+ there shows they should’ve just rolled out the aflw comp with the big clubs

1 Like

Like Collingwood and Carlton?

A fan base disenfranchised with their mens team who can get behind the women. So Essendon