General AFLW comments and articles

I care, of course I do - women deserve to make a career out of footy too, and I hope it catches on enough to mean they can become full-time athletes. But I do agree having an Essendon team would mean I felt more attached - but in saying that, I don’t think I would hate women’s teams just because they are AFL teams I love to hate Coll/Carl etc. I like watching it regardless.

Not interested at all

Not really.

No Essendon, no interest. Will I watch a game? May depend on how readily available it is? I won't go looking for it.

(With no direct knowledge) I suspect the style of women’s footy might be a throw back to the 90’s with 1:1 contests all over the field. So, this part of the game may be an attraction for the impartials.

Give it time, the more professional they become the more defensive their games will be and the less the old school crowd will like it lol

Do i care, nope not at all.

Do i want Essendon to have a team. Nope, not at all. I would rather Essendon spend money on the men and doing everything possible to give them the best chance at succeeding

It doesn’t occur to you that this in fact a business, and the business needs to generate the money that it spends on the players, and that perhaps having a female team might help generate more supporters/members of the Essendon Football Club and be a source of revenue as opposed to a drain on the club?

If there is a team called Essendon wearing red and black I'm interested
me too.

I like Miss Long’s answer to her interest, as she is not interested in playing for any team other than Essendon in the WAFL, i am not interested in supporting any other team.
TBH my daughter has a far better chance of playing for the Bombers than my boys do, keep the dream alive, would be awesome, almost as awsome as me playing but that ship is not parked in the harbour, in fact its currently in the bermuda triangle

I’d rather watch local footy, it’s a better standard.

I'd rather watch local footy, it's a better standard.

local footy now is a better standard to afl from 60 years ago, idc what all the old fogies on this site say.

If I’m doing nothing else I’d probably watch it. So my interest in it is on par with my interest in say Sydney vs North on a Saturday arvo.

I follow the VFL (around along time before afl), we never even get a mention, cept on here. And yet they push womens football, cauce its gona put me offside.

If they played in a league not run by those carnts in AFL house, then yes.

Otherwise, no.

ZFG.

Less than ZFG.

Nope.

Me too!

No. I don’t care about footy outside Essendon. So why would I give a single solitary fark about this?

Nup, couldn’t pay me enough to watch it even if we had a team. I get frustrated watching/coaching junior footy and the women’s is at a far worse standard

Maybe if an EFC team a little interest. The problem will be that the standard will be well bellow VFL development league.

It is a big challenge for women’s sports where there is an equivalent male version. The standard is mostly miles lower with the women’s version and the male competition props up the female equivalent in terms of money/TV rights etc.

The biggest challenge is that females typically don’t want to watch sports as much as males which makes it a tough market for female sports in general.

Will there be a mother - son rule? If so we need to be in on it.

1 Like

It’d want to be many levels above the Melbourne Brisbane game last season. Melbourne weren’t too bad, but most of the Brisbane team were worse than U-12 standard.