Ahmed Saad

Interesting they’re not expected to give a judgment for several weeks – is that for internal discussion only, or is it to allow time to come to an “acceptable” answer with external parties?

I’m only guessing but I would say there will be consultation with both WADA and ASADA so when the decision is announced it will be with their knowledge and approval.

It's unbelievable how badly PED violations are handled.  I don't think you could come up with a worse governing body and processes for penalty if you tried.

I feel really sorry for this kid. He had an energy drink. Like everyone does. Never thought it was classified as containing *shock horror* drugs. These anti doping freaks are out of control in my opinion. Give it a few more years and the only people playing sport will be farking trappist monks!

But then you will have athletes who will use the ingredient as a PED and then say "oh I just had an energy drink" and get away with it.

Also, Saad may have had 20 drinks 3 hours before the match so he may have known full well what he was doing, we will never know.

I feel really sorry for this kid. He had an energy drink. Like everyone does. Never thought it was classified as containing *shock horror* drugs. These anti doping freaks are out of control in my opinion. Give it a few more years and the only people playing sport will be farking trappist monks!

At least we might get decent ■■■■■■ beer at the footy, mmmm Chimay. I dare say you'd be rolling out the gates pretty inebriated
I haven't been able to touch alcohol for the last 15 months, and it's still toxic to me now, so I'd roll out the gates on a shot glass of shandy at the moment.
I feel for you Mate, but I could start some very nasty rumors about why?
I went through it many years ago and it was a self inflicted malaise , I did learn my lesson however. Thank God for Alexander Fleming !!
15 months of chemo has farked the immune system just a tad. Oncologist reckons I'll probably be able tolerate alcohol again sometime after Xmas. Thank God for the herb.

Good luck with all that. I have never tolerated alcohol, but I got over it. The evil weed, have always be very tolerant of it, though some of the new types do make my head spin like a giddy girl!

So what’s happened? Surely an open and shut case. Does anyone know what Inhs has tweeted?

Actually sorry, the case of the VFL guy I mentioned earlier suggests that Saad is looking at nothing other than a 2 year ban.

The VFL guy was banned for ordering the energy drink over the Internet, there was no positive test, just the simple act of ordering a substance over the internet that happened to contain a WADA prohibited substance and having it delivered to him was enough for him to cop a 2 year ban, after ASADA appealed the initial 6 month ban.

Asada want 2 years, they expect to get it too.

Once he gets clipped watch the media crap on about how lucky we have been

I'm more than happy to admit that I, and the vast majority of Australia, know nothing more than what the media have told us on this case, and I'm most aware that to take what the news outlets have told us as truth must be a very skeptical process.

However, IF what we've been told is true it's a crock of horseshit that he's getting done for this. Yes it sucks that we got done but where's the "fairness" in this.

Is the principle of every technical violation being punished really the most important thing here, if anything it should be the merit of what's happening, i.e, are they intentionally trying to cheat the system that should be punished. I'm aware that this isn't translatable to criminal law, but who really cares if this bloke had an energy drink that 12 year olds can buy at Woolworths unbeknownst that it contained something on the banned list.

Asada want 2 years, they expect to get it too.
Once he gets clipped watch the media crap on about how lucky we have been

whilst at the same time feeling sorry for Saad no doubt, not investigating match fixing allegations and letting players self report for illegal drug activity. 

I'm more than happy to admit that I, and the vast majority of Australia, know nothing more than what the media have told us on this case, and I'm most aware that to take what the news outlets have told us as truth must be a very skeptical process.
However, IF what we've been told is true it's a crock of horseshit that he's getting done for this. Yes it sucks that we got done but where's the "fairness" in this.
Is the principle of every technical violation being punished really the most important thing here, if anything it should be the merit of what's happening, i.e, are they intentionally trying to cheat the system that should be punished. I'm aware that this isn't translatable to criminal law, but who really cares if this bloke had an energy drink that 12 year olds can buy at Woolworths unbeknownst that it contained something on the banned list.

And was he best on ground and played like the champion he isn't ?
Two horses in the Melbourne Cup field were given illegal treatment on the day, both Trainers will probably be fined. Stewards could have dragged them out of the race, but took a common sense approach. Pity we can't do this with dumb footballers.

The thing in the drink that saad took is the same thing that asafa Powell is in trouble for. It is a type of amphetamine that works similarly to ephedrine, it promotes the release of adrenalin, increases heart rate and is basically just a kick ■■■■ stimulant. I don't know the doses required to elicit these effects and I don't know how much of the stuff was in the drink or how much he drunk but he took it on match day to give him a pep up and he is going to get smashed for it

The thing in the drink that saad took is the same thing that asafa Powell is in trouble for. It is a type of amphetamine that works similarly to ephedrine, it promotes the release of adrenalin, increases heart and is basically just a kick ■■■■ stimulant. I don't know the dosses required to illicit these effects and I don't know how much of the stuff was in the drink or how much he drunk but he took on match to give him a pep up and he is going to get smashed for it

And because he is the "ambassador" or something for the company, ASADA will be even harsher dealing with him because if anyone knew when and when not to use it, it was Saad.  That's what they'll say anyway.

If St Kilda end up delisting the guy, it's a harsh outcome for him, deliberate consumption or not. 

He was an ambassador for the company? Sounds a bit sus to me.

Can’t see anyway he can get off this, don’t really care TBH, surely these guys are told you basically can’t take anything unless we tell you to.

The thing in the drink that saad took is the same thing that asafa Powell is in trouble for. It is a type of amphetamine that works similarly to ephedrine, it promotes the release of adrenalin, increases heart and is basically just a kick ■■■■ stimulant. I don't know the dosses required to illicit these effects and I don't know how much of the stuff was in the drink or how much he drunk but he took on match to give him a pep up and he is going to get smashed for it

And because he is the "ambassador" or something for the company, ASADA will be even harsher dealing with him because if anyone knew when and when not to use it, it was Saad.  That's what they'll say anyway.

If St Kilda end up delisting the guy, it's a harsh outcome for him, deliberate consumption or not. 

They're not allowed to play him and they're not allowed to pay him. What's the point of keeping him on the list. Presuming he's suspended of course.

Considering our treatment this year I am surprised by many of the responses here.

Considering our treatment this year I am surprised by many of the responses here.

Hear what you are saying but the circumstance are somewhat different.

Hear what you are saying but the circumstance are somewhat different.

Very, very different circumstances:

• EFC - not one positive drug test despite samples being re-tested in Germany
  • Saad - both samples returned positive

I read that the substance has been banned since August 2012 by the TGA for use in dietary supplements because of its potential harmful side effects, I assume its use in energy drinks will be illegal also. If true, I don't know why the company is still allowed to sell that particular product.
In any case, Saad is going to cop the maximum for being careless and stupid.

I read that the substance has been banned since August 2012 by the TGA for use in dietary supplements because of its potential harmful side effects, I assume its use in energy drinks will be illegal also. If true, I don't know why the company is still allowed to sell that particular product.
In any case, Saad is going to cop the maximum for being careless and stupid.

And there was talk he consumed an energy drink which is permissible on non-match days. 

So if it's just a mistake, to more or less kill someones career is way too harsh in my opinion.

He hasn't disputed it. So much for coming clean and co-operating, it makes not a jot of difference to ASADA.