All time best Sport Related Film

Just watching “We Are Marshall” for about the 5th time, & it still gets me all inspired & lends the misty moments as the 1st time I saw it, & then noticed Jerry MacGuire on a channel opposite, & knew I could watch that again too, for the 4th time.

These movies never seem to get old & there are others, so I started to wonder, which one of them sits at the top?
I think maybe it’s this one on the Marshall team, most likely as it’s based in a true incident, but it’s also well put together & McConaughey plays one of his best roles in it.

So throw up some nominations & we can make it a poll, & vote, for THE Greatest Sports Movie… Ever!"

I’ll open with a few which might not be so popular. Everyone can else can nominate the obvious ones.

Golf movies are a dime a dozen but I reckon that Tin Cup and Bagger Vance are both really good movies as far as they explained why so many people love that particular game. They had faults as movies but their portrayal of golf obsession was really good, IMO. Particularly the final hole scene in Tin Cup.

Tin Cup Golf - Big Finish! by RandySsavage

Slapshot with Paul Newman.
Raging Bull with Di Nero, although for me it goes a little too long.

Not sure if it’s the greatest sports movie ever…but I’ve always loved “Remember The Titans”

Based on a true story and showed how sport could be used to overcome inbuilt prejudices…I’ve watched it many times and have never got tired of it.

Not sure if it's the greatest sports movie ever...but I've always loved "Remember The Titans"

Based on a true story and showed how sport could be used to overcome inbuilt prejudices…I’ve watched it many times and have never got tired of it.

Yeh that was the first one I thought of. Denzel’s “Youre hall of fame in my book” line is a gem.

MIGHTY DUCKS!!

Not sure if it's the greatest sports movie ever...but I've always loved "Remember The Titans" Based on a true story and showed how sport could be used to overcome inbuilt prejudices....I've watched it many times and have never got tired of it.

Yep this is one of my favourites also…and Phar Lap

Seabiscuit.

3 sports docos:

Senna

When We Were Kings

Murderball

I could have sworn this was a thread already but can’t find any trace

Miracle On Ice was definitely thrown out there by a few people

The Natural - Paul Newman

#1: Raging Bull

Happy Gilmore.

Seriously though, When we were kings

Any Given Sunday. The inches speech is epic. Top movie as well

Cinderella man

Warrior

Southpaw was pretty good

Raging Bull

Remember the Titans probably the best I’ve seen.

I really liked The Blind Side.

I enjoyed the F1 movie about Lauda and Hunt but can’t remember the name. The hospital scenes where Lauda has his throat and lungs scraped were really good especially. Epitomises what sports people will go through to be successful.

Coach Carter was better than I thought it would be.

The boxing one about Hurricane was good.

<blockquote class="Quote" rel="efc1robbo">Any Given Sunday. The inches speech is epic. Top movie as well

Cinderella man

Warrior

Southpaw was pretty good

My name is willy.
Everybody shows their willys.
But yes best ever.

Do dramatically focused docos count? If so “Hoop Dreams” beats them all, gritty, honest and full of suspense and without the confected finale that even the best movies feel compelled to tack on.

And, if spelling is a sport, add “Spellbound” for basically the same reasons.

Of the big screen movies, I reckon “The Damned United” is excellent (And it’s Leeds not Manure).

Most disappointing? Definitely “The Natural”. THE classic baseball novel, so why change the ending? He struck OUT! Live with it.

Remember the Titans probably the best I've seen.

I enjoyed the F1 movie about Lauda and Hunt but can’t remember the name. The hospital scenes where Lauda has his throat and lungs scraped were really good especially. Epitomises what sports people will go through to be successful.

Rush.

Was a very good movie.

Remember the Titans probably the best I've seen.

Lauda & Hunt would be Rush, directed by Ron Howard,

My all time fave sport movie is Field of Dreams, with Kevin Costner, Ray Liotta, Burt Lancaster and James Earl Jones, ‘If you build it, he will come.’