Andrew Gaff - RFA

Does Essendon get to keep all the money it raises?

No, but some clubs are less equal than others.

Iā€™m sure thatā€™s why they give us (and Pies, and crows, and Eagles etc) $10.6M back, to stop us making much of a fuss about it.

EDIT: And if the alternative is Gil gives himself another $100M a year, or they ā– ā– ā– ā–  it all away on another new side in China or Darwin or Townsvilleā€¦ then yes, Iā€™m happy to have it.

WAR

CHEST

We never get the big fish

Big fish are overrated anyway

Buddy hasnā€™t got the swans a flag, paddy same for Geelong, Judd FC, Ablett suns the list goes on

2 Likes

That view is a bit flakey for mine.

5 Likes

Just reading this post and for some reason it triggered something for me.
Got to give credit to the club I reckon. Itā€™s seems no time ago that I knew we wouldnā€™t get anyone and was just worried about how many we would lose. Now we have Stringer, Saad and Smith all choose us and have good years and talk of being into others for next year. With our age demographic and the footy we play, it makes absolute sense that weā€™d be given great consideration by any top line player looking to move clubs.
Even those that want everyone sacked must be happy with the net result of the past three years.

3 Likes

Why canā€™t we use Gaff to Hooker Big Fish?

2 Likes

Need the Gaff first

Always forget the ā– ā– ā– ā– 

Never catch a big fish when you remember it

If you can get a player of his calibre for free, you do it. Heā€™d instantly make us better through the middle. You get Gaff via FA and make a trade for a guy like Dylan Shiel, added to what we already have, I really REALLY like what we are building and IMO we are genuine flag material. The midfield would read:

Gaff
Shiel
Z.Merrett
Heppell
Smith
Myers
Langford
Zaharakis
Parish
McGrath

And you can run Walla and Raz through there in bursts. FAP FAP FAP!

8 Likes

Well if we could just get Catherine Lio to list her best 22 for 2019 we might get some real answersā€¦ lol.

SEN Western Australian correspondent, Tim Gossage, has revealed West Coast are growing concerned regarding the future of star midfielder Andrew Gaff.

Gaff, who is out of contract at the end of the season, has yet to notify the Eagles as to whether he will be re-signing with the club, or exploring his options as a restricted free agent.

Gossage believes West Coast are getting restless as the 26-year-old continues to mull over his next move.

Dangerfield believes injuries are a result to seasons length - (WHATELEY)

ā€œItā€™s funny because I was talking to someone at West Coast the other day about it and they said: ā€˜if it was yes he would just tell usā€™ā€, Gossage told SEN Afternoons.

ā€œIf he says: ā€˜yeah Iā€™m stayingā€™, that would give the boys a bit of a lift.

ā€œHeā€™s not saying anything. Heā€™s not that type of guy and heā€™s certainly not and he doesnā€™t like the headlines.

ā€œHe likes to go under the radar amongst his playing group as well as he does in Perth.

ā€œHe hasnā€™t really spoken about the contract, but certainly no doubt that there is concerns from West Coast.

ā€œEven now, even though heā€™s away from the footy club and heā€™s due back soon, he could walk in the door and say: ā€˜boys, Iā€™m going to stay, Iā€™m staying and that would give them a lift going into the finalsā€™.

ā€œBut, he has not done so yet.ā€

Gaff is currently serving an eight-week suspension for punching Fremantle youngster Andrew Brayshaw in the Western Derby in Round 20.

Formerly from Victoria, Gaff has been linked with a move to a host of Melbourne based clubs, including North Melbourne, Essendon and St Kilda.

3 Likes

He is only 26? Far out, I thought he was closer to 30

BRING HIM IN

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Didnā€™t he nearly leave the club (to us) during his last contract negotiation? To the point that he told EFC that he wants to play for us.

These contract negotiations seem very much in character.

2 Likes

We were into him. His main focus was to stay with the eagles. But if they couldnā€™t agree to a deal we were his club his of choice.

1 Like

https://www.sportsradio.com.au/another-victorian-club-emerges-as-potential-new-home-for-andrew-gaff/

Another Victorian club emerges as potential new home for Andrew Gaff

1985 Brownlow medalist Brad Hardie delivered another interesting nugget today saying West Coast ā€œare worriedā€ about Andrew Gaff leaving as Essendon emerges as a suitor for the gun Eagle.

ā€œ(The) Eagles very fearful that Essendon may have got under their guard,ā€ Hardie said on Macquarie Sports Radio Melbourne breakfast

Hardie went on to say that there could be a domino effect at both West Coast and Essendon if Gaff was to sign with the Bombers.

ā€œThat will have a roll on effect to Brendon Goddard because I think that they did snare the services of Andrew Gaff, Goddard would either probably have to take either one, reduced contract or two, coaching, mentor type development role. Scott Lycett would be likely to stay if Gaff left as it would free up some money for himā€

Is Brad Hardie reading blitz? Thatā€™s what I said earlier in the week.

3 Likes

its the same ever trade season. person x claims they know things, states we will get such and such player, person y claims they know things, states we wont get such and such player.

got no idea why people get so heavily invested in what people with ā€˜inside infoā€™ say

There must be weight to the rumours because after 2 weeks, with his season done and dusted, Gaff has done nothing to alleviate Eagles concerns that heā€™s going. Then again, maybe on return to WA (shortly) heā€™ll tell them face to face heā€™s staying (unlikely given how these situations usually play out).

Wonder why Essendon are being touted as the most likely destination? Did he really consider them the last time he signed a contract? Are the Hawks lurking in the shadows? Will Northā€™s over the top offer sway Gaff in their direction?

If he does come to Essendon his contribution will be amazing even if Essendon have to pay overs to get him.

out of interest, who does he replace in our current midfield, let alone best 22 ?