Annoucement: Blitz is running weird again

Mods please sticky

Hi everyone, as you are all probably aware, after a brief stint of flawless functionality blitz seems to be reverting to the re-occurring memory issue/cache problem it was experiencing after the first of the most recent #blitzdown episodes.

Rolo our technical mastermind is currently in route from his secret island lair back to his mountain fortress and as a result is for all intents and purposes “off line” over the next 24 hours or so.

To minimise the damage so to speak could everyone refrain from using pictures and videos in their posts so we all conserve the resources and reduce the risk of crashing the whole place again while he is in transit, but also keep the ship afloat.

Cheers

Much more likeable suddenly.

Not without losing every single post made on Invision when going back to Vanilla. You'd need to make Invision and Vanilla simultaneously write to two separate -- and differently structured -- databases.
Waiting for a blitz wiz kid to jump in here with a ... "Oh that's easy, .. just gotta thingamajig the doohickey, while you flitzcamog the Whatchamacallit. I can set that up for you guys."
I've always been a believer in dumping the warp core and reversing polarities, personally.

I have nothing to offer.

#standbyrollo

Not without losing every single post made on Invision when going back to Vanilla. You'd need to make Invision and Vanilla simultaneously write to two separate -- and differently structured -- databases.

Waiting for a blitz wiz kid to jump in here with a … “Oh that’s easy, … just gotta thingamajig the doohickey, while you flitzcamog the Whatchamacallit. I can set that up for you guys.”

What about using an R2D2 or C3PO?

Microsoft Weird 4.0

Let me deal with this…

Thanks for the thread Ben. Managed to get in front of my computer and on a wifi network to dump the cache again. Problem gone. Obviously the next step is to stop this from happening every time.

Also it’s not the nature of what people post that causes the memory error. It’s just some errant script related to this cache problem.

■■■■■■ hell, how about forking some cash into getting decent hosting/website for this place?

I’ve always tried to run blitz ‘lean’ to save on costs but on the day Hird got the chop I doubled the server’s capacity and won’t turn back. Also just increased the memory recently. This latest problem isn’t related to the hosting, but the software itself. That the hosting resources have been increased recently explains why Blitz has run so well the last month or two … and what makes this latest crash to disappointing.

Upgrade/change the software then? If we're the biggest fan forum on the web and have half the features that other teams' fan forums do, I'm not sure that shows this website in a positive way as we should be the best site possible, not the site that is "lean" and with lots of "cutbacks".

Arrggghhhh I’m not happy with this free site run by volunteers who give up their time for me to whinge about the end result!!

Oh stop your needless pandering Ben, you don't need to rush so blindly to the defence when nothing has even been said, so calm your chops and save your over reactions for the Tippa thread. This site is for all users to enjoy and if discussion on how to improve functionality/reduce errors/design etc to improve Blitz then we should be all for it, which we all want the same goal.

but what you need to understand, this is not pandering, this is understanding, that when blitz goes down, while its inconvenient for some and makes people have to focus on other things for a short time, the guy who runs the site and does all the admin literally has to stop working, and fix the problem. So while it might be inconvenient for you, it actually costs the admin money each time it goes down. So I’m sure he has more vested interest in a stable platform than you do, and makes decisions accordingly.

Thanks for the thread Ben. Managed to get in front of my computer and on a wifi network to dump the cache again. Problem gone. Obviously the next step is to stop this from happening every time.

Also it’s not the nature of what people post that causes the memory error. It’s just some errant script related to this cache problem.

■■■■■■ hell, how about forking some cash into getting decent hosting/website for this place?

I’ve always tried to run blitz ‘lean’ to save on costs but on the day Hird got the chop I doubled the server’s capacity and won’t turn back. Also just increased the memory recently. This latest problem isn’t related to the hosting, but the software itself. That the hosting resources have been increased recently explains why Blitz has run so well the last month or two … and what makes this latest crash to disappointing.

Upgrade/change the software then? If we're the biggest fan forum on the web and have half the features that other teams' fan forums do, I'm not sure that shows this website in a positive way as we should be the best site possible, not the site that is "lean" and with lots of "cutbacks".

Arrggghhhh I’m not happy with this free site run by volunteers who give up their time for me to whinge about the end result!!

Oh stop your needless pandering Ben, you don't need to rush so blindly to the defence when nothing has even been said, so calm your chops and save your over reactions for the Tippa thread. This site is for all users to enjoy and if discussion on how to improve functionality/reduce errors/design etc to improve Blitz then we should be all for it, which we all want the same goal.

have you tried drugs rolo?

Not without losing every single post made on Invision when going back to Vanilla. You’d need to make Invision and Vanilla simultaneously write to two separate – and differently structured – databases.

I was going to say, I wish I could help … Can I? … Can anyone?

Also, is there a way to move the DBase to Invision, without having to take it out of Vanilla, so the move back part is out of the picture? Essentially copy it, but leave the Vanilla intact & ready to “switch on”* again if the shift was a bust?

(*Do I have any clue what I’m on about?) :slight_smile:

Rolo’s jet is a pearler.

Serious? Damn.

If I get a chance I’ll fix again soon but no promises :confused:

(Written on my iPhone using Maccas wifi)

You know pictures and videos aren’t hosted on blitz servers?

Also, once you’ve posted your post, if it doesn’t appear as per usual &/or you get a little error msg in the bottom left corner instead, just try refreshing the page before you post again.

Your post will be there, (at least all mine have been).

I can’t even post

it got rid of my 8 million likes

Your profile will still list the number of points, which is the same thing.