ANNOUNCE Western United are at the Hangar

They were meant to be building a stadium in Tarneit, except it’d be in the middle of nowhere according to the proposed site. The Tarneit train station (VLine only) is ~8km away from it!

1 Like

The best option for everyone would be if Western United folded

2 Likes

This sounds like a dodgy ASX microcap. “Oh yeah, we’re gonna do this, gonna do that. Just signed a deal for $2 mil”. Then the money never arrives, nothing happens, and a few white collar crooks go off into the sunset.

1 Like

Does anyone even watch the A-League anymore??

1 Like

I do

Where is it on??

Stan?

No idea.

Paramount plus

2 Likes

Very odd decision, that. Like union, soccer can’t afford to lose viewers.

2 Likes

Also 1 game per week on 10, A League didn’t have many in the line for the rights.

nah it was a good deal when other deals weren’t forthcoming

saturday primetime fta game, and the network will actually promote the league

1 Like

Why is soccer so shambolically run in Australia? It’s bizarre that their pitch to the A League was to build a stadium and it doesn’t seem to be happening. You’d think some due diligence or oversight would have been done by the league to make sure it happened?

@scotty21 you signing up for paramount come November?

It’s pretty much dead nowadays.

What happened??

Attendances and tv ratings have fallen off a cliff in recent years. Lots of people have abandoned the game since a banned list of supporters was leaked in 2015 and the FFA didn’t take action, which pretty much killed active support. Plus fans that do go get treated like garbage by over zealous security. People have been kicked out for standing up and taking their tops off…

Marketing has been crap for years and football hardly gets any attention from the MSM. Also Fox Sports lost interest and underwent pretty big budget cuts which hurt the quality of the broadcast.

I think people also got bored of seeing the same teams (10 at the time) playing each other a minimum of 3 times a season, with no promotion/relegation and the same mediocre players hopping between clubs.

Then the league butchered expansion by bringing new teams into already existing markets instead of going into new areas. Macarthur have been OK but Western United are a disaster off the field with hardly any supporters and no identity as they play home games all over the joint, (from Ballarat to Launceston) while they wait for their new stadium (out in some Tarneit cow paddocks) to be built, which is already way overdue.

2 Likes

I had a Victory membership years ago, and went to most matches.

The main issues I had;

• the game wasnt on free to air, so I lost interest.

• I got sick of seeing new teams added each season

• the player merry-go-round is a joke. Some players have gone from club to club, and now been at 5-6 A-League clubs. I couldn’t keep up with the Victory’s players, as most clubs would delist 2/3 of the list each season, and then bring in new players. There was zero loyalty.

can we put some really tall trees in there to break up the wind a bit

the standard just isn’t there and that isn’t likely to change. Occasionally you get a headline talent or out of the box recruit that it’s really worth going to see but otherwise we get a lot of stodgy, dull football. I’ve just never felt emotionally connected to a team either which doesn’t help.

i used to pay a bit of attention and go to a handful of games a year but these days my interest levels a pretty much zero. I think the last time i cared enough to go was when Forniroli was tearing it up in his first year. There just aren’t a enough players of genuine class and creativity to make it worth your dollar and your time. It just doesn’t have enough wow factor and that is going to be pretty hard to change, the money just isn’t here.

i also have a suspicion that bone dry hard grounds aren’t conducive to really zipping the ball around on the deck.

2 Likes