ANNOUNCE Western United are at the Hangar

Could not agree more about big bash. I attended a couple of ODI’s and T20’s back in my cricket loving days, and still recall a T20 match around 2010 where the Vics played QLD at the G with an attendance of at least 25k. IIRC each state was allowed to sign two international players too. State v State actually means something, what they have now is a big plastic farking turd with too many teams. I hate it.

4 Likes

same

for one, ted lasso is a fictional television show

2 Likes

We were just discussing that point last night at footy training. The Dees don’t really have a street or particular area that is iconic to the team. Either does Hawthorn anymore.

Love how Melbourne is made up of many tribes. I miss the buzz of footy talk in Melbourne.
At least here in Hervey Bay the place is full of fellow refugees and we can bag the hell out of each other all the time.

1 Like

I think dees fans would disagree with that, they regard the G as very much theirs and the rest of us are blow ins

1 Like

TD SIMMO

5 Likes

Same thing happened with baseball, stadium set to be built out the back of springy/Keysy/Braeside way and ended up nixed, off to a hole at showgrounds then back to Altona, when the vast majority of teams and players are eastside.

1 Like

Absolutely this.

Absolutely it is a fictional show employing hyperbole to posit a situation where the coach of a team has no idea about the sport he is coaching, but does have experience successfully coaching a team to a high level.

But if we pull back from this, and look in the less extreme context of weighing up a prospective coach on the criteria of “was a great player but lacks coaching experience” vs “has experience building a high performing team but never played at a high level”, then it provides an illustration of what you are trying to gain from the latter approach - albeit in a cartoon form.

I enjoyed the BBL a few years ago. Crowds were strong, 8 games per side, and good international players were coming. CA overcapitalised, 14 games has diluted the product. The quality of cricket has diminished significantly, I don’t enjoy it anywhere near as much now. Big name internationals are going to Bangladesh for more money and less cricket.

I do enjoy WBBL, the standard of that is quite good.

2 Likes

I’d be interested simmo.

5 Likes

Never played at a high level is completely different to never played, watched, coached any level

Me too. Business in sport fascinates me. Draft Day and Moneyball are two of my favourite movies.

2 Likes

It is a continuum, and as I say the show is based on one extreme (hyperbole).

+1 for a thread on this. I’m well versed in the motorsport aspect of this but would be keen to learn about other sports.

1 Like

Agree, a business of sport thread with posts containing interesting information would be really interesting.

Due to the chat on this thread I have started a specific business in sport thread here

@simmo41
@brem06
@ivan
@Goaloss
@dmaplestone
@barnz
@up_up

5 Likes

So how many sporting clubs and associations are based there now?
One club, but effectively 2 teams, our AFL, AFLW(&VFLW?) plus Western Uniting Soccer club for 2 yrs. Are the Para Olympians still based there as well?

Our wheelchair side in the VWFL too

1 Like

Yep Paralympians train there indefinitely I think.