Another Mass Shooting, (Just Another Day) in America

What passes for a hire car in the UAE, Rolls Royce? Ferrari?

Or do you have to slum it in a Porsche?

I just booked a standard car through Hertz and received a MG6. It wasn’t a luxury car but was comfortable and had plenty of poke which allowed me to sit on 180-210 very comfortably. Pretty fuel efficient and cost about $60 a day to hire. Had only 2040km’s on the clock and was only a few weeks old. Wasn’t much availability at the time so thanks to my Hertz status I was able to secure it

1 Like

I got to disagree with the DUI comment here.

You get caught over the limit here, you are going to jail for 24 hours minimum. I’ve known guys who spent 3 days in the cells. In general too, so you’re in with people that have been arrested for murder.

Then when you get out, you’ve got a $10K fine waiting for you plus the loss of license - the length determined by a judge. You can hire a lawyer to argue / negotiate you down to a wet reckless charge, but everyone knows that’s still a DUI. And that lawyer still costs you $10K.

They take drink driving very seriously over here.

“Our thoughts and prayers” tho

1 Like

Horrific how can the us goverment allow gun violence to continue

Don’t doubt it and I know in some cases the bar can be held liable, which is fraught, but my experience over there through the 90’s and early 2000’s was it was still a bit like Australia in the 70’s and even 80’s, especially rural and outer suburban. Certainly a lot more culture of have a few (more than 3, less than 10) and drive going on than here for the last 20 odd years. I’m sure things have changed in some states but I don’t think it’s nearly as policed, or that it’s even possible to do so like we can here. That said there was no Uber or other ubiquitous car services back then either, cabs hard or impossible to get and lots of quiet back roads. I should’ve qualified what I wrote by dating my experience.

Sadly it’s not allow, it’s actively encourage and promote the environment for it to thrive.

1 Like

let’s give the robots weapons because everyone else has them

4 Likes

Why won’t anyone think of the robot children?!

3 Likes

People will be thinking of them…as the nasty little buggers open up with their government approved, fully automatic AR15s

Isn’t it state by state (like so many laws) ?

Yeah it is. But it’s all relatively the same. You are spending time in jail on a first offense, ranging from 24 hours to 10 days depending on what state. Then the fines range from roughly $500 (poorer states) to $18K in the more affluent areas. Overall, I think they have realized that there is good money to be made in the DUI business.
Also, if you get 3 DUI’s anywhere, it’s a felony offense.

The other wild card is the police. They have so much power in what they want to prosecute and what they want to ignore. And since the defund the police movement caught momentum, the police have been way less responsive / motivated to respond to crimes. It’s pretty wild at the moment.

1 Like

It’s happening…

8d61d90946a2327074e44b8c12b7a594

1 Like

An interesting article on American hand gun ownership.

Happening now.

2 years ago QLD

2 police have been killed is the latest news

and when this happens in America no police get killed , WOW