ANZAC DAY Essendon LEGENDS and HYPE THREAD (no pie talk allowed)

The greatest part of that classic video is old mate the end with his “yeAh!” Haha

3 Likes

Anyone go to the 1995?

We went and my dad was like “better get there early, might be a decent crowd”. Got there at 11am and gate 6 line was massive, went back to the train station. (Old gate 6). We were spewing, went around to gate 3 and no one was there, asked the guy if we are able to come into this gate and he said yeah no worries.

Sat dead centre wing, level 3 row C
Listening the 3AW at the time and all they kept talking about was the amount of people coming in and that they were worried about a crush. Shane Healy said that Gage 12 was back to the tennis centre. At about 1pm it was announced over the PA that gates were locked, they reckon about 30000 would have been outside still.

16 Likes

The blokes friend who keeps a straight face and sagely nods is my hero.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s the one. I just watched the 10min Hird highlights pack posted up there. . So many second efforts. Playing at both ends of the ground. Kicked 5 straight and brained ‘em

2 Likes

Was on the top deck of the Southern Stand for the drawn game in 95.

The crowd throughout that last quarter (begrudgingly respect for the other side too) was some of the most consistently loud wave of noise I have ever heard.

The players & fans all rose to the occasion, it was a cracking contest.

5 Likes

You got the sense before the game that this was going to a special game and then at the end of the game you had 95000 people just feeling privileged to be a part of it.

■■■■■■■ lucky Buckley passed it to Rocca instead of going for goal.

4 Likes

Yep, Dad (pies fan) took my brother and I and we did the tour of all gates and eventually ended up getting in the posnford stand and Dad plonked us next to the Collingwood Cheer Squad.

Never seen any anything like the amount of people trying to get in. They wouldnhave easily turned away 30k+

2 Likes

Yep. My first game I ever went to without my old man. I was 12, my brother was 11. Got to gate 7 at 10:30 and the line went all the way to Punt Road. I grabbed my brothers hand and pushed into the middle of the mass of people lined up behind all the gates, it was ■■■■■■■ crazy. No one was ever gonna yell at two little kids pushing in. I reckon we were in the first 100 people through that gate, we ran up the stairs all the way to level 4, got a seat and didn’t move for about 6 hours.

Amazing day.

8 Likes

Yeah, I was top deck of the Ponsford, and every part of every step, had somebody sitting on it.

A horrendous fire hazard in retrospect.

3 Likes

Yeah it was mental. My folks said they’d pick me up from home on the way to the ground. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting…Then they ring me from the ground to say ‘you’d better get here, we’ll save a seat…’ FFS

Everyone was very orderly and polite at the top of the Northern, all the steps just had to become seats.

3 Likes

A mate and I drove over straight after work to the game in 95. We knocked off at about 2am and jumped in the car and drove from Adelaide.
We got tickets from scalpers at around $20 for the two tix from memory. Had the very last row in the open stand at the top. We got in to the ground early and were standing up and looking over the back of the stand and could see a army of folk trying to get in minutes before the first bounce

6 Likes

Yep, ■■■■■ everywhere. Couldn’t even leave to take a dump.

2 Likes

Yeah, you watch that again and massive fail by Buckley. I wasn’t going to allow any pies talk in this thread, but this is ok.

2 Likes

What the TV broadcasts can never really capture is the cheer he got when he came back to the bench. I remember it felt like the whole stadium just stood up and cheered for him right up until the ball was bounced again. It was fkg great to be able to cheer a legit champion of the club like that.

8 Likes

Had about 12 tackles as our sole ruckman after Hille went down. What a performance.

1 Like

Alot got in on dodgy passouts in 95 as well. There was not another 5k worth of room in the ground that day

2 Likes

Overshadowed by Hirdy in '03, but 5 goals on ANZAC Day is still a pretty bloody good effort. Doesn’t get enough love imo.

16 Likes

CUPIDO was robbed of a medal.

3 Likes

Yeah no pies chat but Sav flushed one from 60 out in 95. Hit my dad flush on the chest sitting on lvl 2. Its like Sav picked him as the target as soon as it left his boot it was hitting him.

4 Likes

Dean ■■■■■■■ Rioli.

6 Likes