ANZAC Day review- Welcome Back Essington

The scary thing about all this is look back to last year's post game thread and the comments would be pretty similar IMO. I distinctly remember this time last year that I hated Carlisle forward as he provided nothing most of the time and thinking that Bellchambers was a lazy player. We've been stuck in this mediocre rut for so long now and while other teams seem to improve or fade away we always seem to be poised for that breakout year that never happens.

So freaking sick of it.

Watch any Anzac Day game from the last 10 years that Collingwood won… they are all a carbon copy of each other. It’s like watching the same damn game over and over again.

The worst part is Essendon never learns from it.

Thought Grundy played well. Tom needs to lift.

i thought grundy was gash, yet still gave bellcho a mauling.

In the first 3 minutes we all noticed that long kicks were holding up in the air allowing the backline to get into position to spoil. Did we do anything about that? No.
Why did Varcoe play the whole game without anyone anywhere near him?
Did we work hard enough? No
Was Zaka match fit? No.
Does Bellchambers give away too many stupid free kicks? Yes
Was Chappie fit? Can he play 4 games in a row? I doubt it.
Was Carlisle fit? If he was he didn’t work hard enough.
That was very very ordinary and I can’t help but wonder if we started 3 goals behind due to selection.
Lid on.

Out smarted, out coached by a country mile and out played. Nothing else needs to be said.

I thought Gleeson was good today, people will focus on a few turnovers that he made, but at least he took on the game and contest when there were players who stood back.

If you call dumb footy good then fine he played well. It was a pressure game in the wet and he tried to dance around and feness the handball. Poor game.

Not alone by any stretch, so disappointing.

We need to bring back Myers, Cooney, Hocking stat!

Gleeson also provides a bit of run and disposal, he was a bit fancy, but he takes on the contest and doesn’t fumble much, has good disposal, where as other more senior players seemed to fumble the ball…

hey rocky, screw you! :slight_smile:

That effort reminded me of ninthmond…that’s how putrid it was.

Just like them last night not beating a team they should have comfortably accounted for.

Methinks with all the liaison we do with the armed forces prior to such a game, maybe next year we could ask for a compass so we know that we should kick to the East/West instead of all the shitful North/South rubbish.

Watching Dempsey squib out of yet another shepard and chickening out of going into the hole is just embarrassing.
He’s not a HBF’s ■■■■■■■.

The forward line was deplorable today. We were OK around the ground but whenever we had an opportunity to go forward, no one presented as a genuine target. We’ve spent so much time getting our midfield right but have completely ignored the forward line. We go from being functional to completely dysfunctional very quickly.

Couldnt keep our feet. Couldnt kick goals…and Gleeson…not a wet weather player.

There are no magic fixes to our forward line personnel. The only thing that we can do is to start moving it quicker. We can play on instead of going back after every mark. We can look forward and kick to a contest instead of going sidewards looking for the perfect entry on the fat side.

In short, we don’t have the forward line cattle, so lets not make it even harder for them by being out numbered every time.

I thought Gleeson was good today, people will focus on a few turnovers that he made, but at least he took on the game and contest when there were players who stood back.
He was rubbish

Well that was disappointing

Positive: No injuries. I won $100 (still disgruntled).

Negatives: There are too many to name however one stood out for me; our forward line. Wet conditions yes, but we just don’t have the structure. Entries were poor today though.

Bellchambers is like Nathan Lyon - the best of what we’ve got at the moment. Giles won’t improve the side.

I’ve got no idea what Bellchambers did for about 99% of those frees (and there were about a hundred). I did see Grundy take the ball cleanly out of the ruck and just drop it at the slightest hint of a tackle, which is textbook holding the ball, 3 times, and not get called on any of them? Anyone got any ideas?

Certainly played dry weather footy, and predictable footy in the first half. Didn’t adjust for what Collingwood threw at us, took 45 minutes of footy to realise, and when we did, we kicked 2.8 from 10 shots (many of which were pretty gettable). Pies played a simple zone 30-40 behind the ball and went long and direct when we got it.

We need a crumbling small forward!!! Garlett!!! Play long next week. Goddard Ambrose daniher all flying for the mark we need smalls to crumb goals.

We don’t know how to make the play. Hopeless when a team hunts us. Hawks game was an opposite mentality, we knew our limitations then and what we could and couldn’t get away with.

Favourites next week, going to be painful to watch.

He was rubbish

No he wasn’t.

He had quite a few clean disposals and provides some good run and carry whilst other senior players seemed to struggle more. Maybe go and re watch the game again.

You are focussing on a few fancy plays that came undone,

If you call dumb footy good then fine he played well. It was a pressure game in the wet and he tried to dance around and feness the handball. Poor game.

Not alone by any stretch, so disappointing.

We need to bring back Myers, Cooney, Hocking stat!

Gleeson also provides a bit of run and disposal, he was a bit fancy, but he takes on the contest and doesn’t fumble much, has good disposal, where as other more senior players seemed to fumble the ball…

I think we all get that you like Gleeson, but maybe you need to remove the rose coloured glasses....his decision making was poor....he continually second guessed himself and as a result caused turnovers...not a game he will be looking back on with any fondness I would think.