Apple's Latest

Mrs Doe just got her new iMac 21" this week, replacing a 2009 mac mini (which was really struggling the last year or so). Made it the more upper spec model with 16gGB RAM, without ticking all the other upgrade options. She doesn’t store much so the 256 GB storage option was plenty.

She won’t know herself with her new kit.

2 Likes

:rofl: The old android phone that needs replacing is a huawei. Has been a good phone but copped a beating. Bought it as it had class leading battery life and a good camera.

Is there anything wrong with Huawei really? Or is it just the tinfoil covid19/spy/antichina stuff?

I’ve pulled apart equipment with Huawei chipsets. They randomly have additional modules on board that had questionable usage, that were not in the design. This led to changes in the manufacturing process and qa.

A lot of what we believed to be phone home material into Huawei HQ. I can guarantee you the tinfoil stuff on this is real.

Now what will the Chinese government do with whatever it gets off your phone, nothing. But it’s there, and the current climate it a worry. Not to say it’s any different with the us government, but I know which one I trust less right now.

1 Like

Oh i hear you on questionable stuff.

I know apple have components that are unique to apple and have no real purpose except to fail. Replacing them costs more than a new product convientely.

Yeah new is ghastly, but if you buy the right one, better processor, graphics card etc then buy 3rd party ram it’ll last you another at least 5, probably 10 years. Look for a good 2015-18 refurb or second hand, they’ll be dropping in price and likely have 4k or 5k screens to boot. Great machines.

For serious work an i7 mini from 2018 on is a little beast. For a great home entertainment hub most minis from 2012 on, even earlier, are fantastic, just don’t update your os beyond a certain point. A 2011 mac will still fly if it has an appropriate os. As for monitors I run an ultrawide off my imac 27” 2011 and it’s hiccup free, both at full res. The second hand market for good macs after the silicon models start appearing should be pretty great.

I got a 27” iMac with plenty of SSD (I thik it’s a fusion drive of 2Tb with 250gb of flash)…definitely at the lower end of the graphics cards…

Probably 2 years ago, and I think i got plenty of change from $3k.

Anyone here work or worked at a telco?

I ordered a new iPhone a few months back and it took weeks to arrive. I contacted them to see what was happening and was told I couldn’t add another device because Id only had an account for a few months which is fair enough. I then cancelled the order. Two weeks later the phone arrives!

I followed up to let them know and they said they’d send a satchel. Nada.

Followed up again, nada. One guy at a Telstra shop said to use it, another said to give it back. Which I’ve tried twice…

If that phone gets switched on, will the imei register and will the tech nuke it???

New Mac Mini released yesterday is faster and cheaper.

1 Like

I did work for a telecom previously and my advice would be to not use it and leave it as it was delivered and keep pestering them for a satchel to return it in order to avoid any potential charges or them trying make you foot the bill for the device you cancelled in the first place.

They are just as infuriating to work for as they are to encounter as a customer, I can assure you.

1 Like

Cheers for the feedback.

Even harder to deal with at the moment when everything is text based, just bloody call me!!!

1 Like

Red iPhone 12 128GB incoming.

1 Like

From all reports faster than a loaded i9 imac, even running non native apps via Rosetta. New entry level macs are beasts if real world tests confirm, which they likely will. Game changer

1 Like

Mind you, they top out at 16gb ram, but the ram is on the same chip, should be far more efficient and certainly enough for most consumer/prosumer tasks

Looking at buying the IPhone SE (2020 version) for my folks.

Their absolute max budget is $500, but I think it’s worth going a little more to pick up a phone with the latest chip.
At $650ish, seems pretty decent value for a 64gb brand new IPhone, particularly since they are happy with the 4.7inch screen which makes it more pocketable.

Anyone have this model ?
Are you happy with it ?

thanks in advance…

Anyone here got their hands on the 12 Pro Max? From all accounts the camera is the best selling point but folks complaining the phone is “too big”.

I will avoid the “that’s what she said” jokes…

I’d like to know the same about the 12 mini. I’ve got an X and want something a little smaller but i want to know if people think it’s too small.

Bring on the rumoured “Mac Mini Pro” with M2, please…

Size not an issue but battery performance is a downer… at least that’s what reviews are saying

1 Like

Yep. It’s another tortuous wait for me. Although I’m pretty sure a very cheap new mini would do all sorts of good things right now. Curious to see if they deliver a beefier mini as well as the snack box Pro. The fact the new mini is only in silver is possibly a clue. Good times ahead methinks