Apple's Latest

I suspect the Pacific Blue is going to sell like crazy.

Yeah so my post is just about the 5G component. Adding that into a mobile is a costly bit of the supply chainā€¦

And yeah once theres a few more manufacturers of it, the component price will come down and be passed onto consumers.

Complicated by the trade war.

Consumers will get no benefit from the wholesale cost of the 5G chips coming down. The phone manufactures will.
I can also tell you the 5G wireless chipset is not 200 per unit.
As I do a heap of work with some of the chipset manufacturers I know the margins etcā€¦ On the devices. Itā€™s fkn criminal and then apple goes and takes away the charger, etcā€¦ Lol. And people just keep lining upā€¦

Your right dropping rapidly with iphone 12 to market.

when will telstra get the mini?

What is hilarious is that the semiconductor industry is cut throat, full of espionage, security and secrecy. Itā€™s amazing and not what you expect at all.

In terms of 5G, itā€™s evolving so rapidly that I expect additional changes to the chipsets within the next two years for a ven greater gains. I wouldnā€™t be too worried about 5G now if it breaks the budget.

imagine how fast things will progress once silicone barrier gets cracked.

Also I know this is an apple thread. But never ever buy anything Huawei. Ever.

Itā€™s the question Iā€™m asking too, but my feeling is theyā€™re bringing developers along with them and the pro apps I use are already working on the kit minis they sent out, so it wonā€™t be quite the early adopter nightmare. Iā€™m still using a maxed out i7 imac from 2011 and that computer has done amazing things and continues to, just not supported by new os/software anymore.

My itchy wallet finger is telling me Iā€™m going to impulse buy a macbook (if thatā€™s what they do first up), and hope to be super impressed by the performance, then a year down the track see what the desktops are doing. Ipad Pro A12 from 2017 does stuff with audio/video and graphic design that still blow my mind so these A14 next gen chips should be something else.

I know you didnā€™t ask for any of that, I just had to spew it somewhere.

1 Like

My iMac was bought in December 2009. Itā€™s been great, but Iā€™m going to get a new one. Itā€™s now very slow to do many quite simple operations and I need to turn off the power supply and reboot quite frequently, and the screen is nowhere near as good as the new ones.

The new ones arenā€™t cheap though. To buy the 21ā€ model with Retina display, 8GB of memory and 1TB of storage costs over $2000.

Haha, mine too. I canā€™t believe itā€™s lasted. Very slow though and I just use it for home stuff, not work.

Mine is from around that period too.
This is actually the longest Iā€™ve ever had a computer last. Usually, Iā€™ve had to upgrade by around 5 years in. This is showing itā€™s age, but what is helping is that most of the usual tasks prior to work from home (internet surfing, etc.) can be done on the iPad.

But Iā€™m keen to purchase a new iMac because this is showing itā€™s age. JB HiFi are useless because they only have 500Gb hard drives in their macs. Iā€™m hoping to get one with a 1TB hard drive.

The latest 27 inch ones only offer solid state drives so you have to add more to the cost to get 1TB, from the standard 512GB release. 21 inch still has the same price 1TB fusion drive option but is a little older.
JB would receive the standard stock and send it out to stores, and generally you need to buy through the Apple Store to select and customise your preferences for storage, memory, and the like. As far as I know.

1 Like

Yeah.
Iā€™m considering maybe just using one of my many spare hard drives as extra storage.
But they are 10 year old portable hard drives thatā€™ll break down if I were to use them often enough.

1 Like

Whatever you do, donā€™t buy an iMac with a spinning HDD.

SSD makes a massive difference.

If price is putting you off, better to get a smaller SSD, and use an external drive to store movies, etc.

1 Like

My 2014 iMac suffers from the dreaded temporary burn in which showed its ugly face around a year in of use. Iā€™ve also got an 2009 iMac sitting in a cupboard with I think a bung graphics card? logic board? not really sure, but had plans over the years to try and repair it.

Iā€™ve love the idea of the iMacs but with the problems Iā€™ve had with them, I doubt my next upgrade will be from that range.

What are peoples thoughts of the mac minis? Iā€™m thinking this is the way Iā€™ll be going in the future. Paired up with a nice large ultra wide monitor.

Mac Minis are great, but I think Iā€™d wait till next year, when they release an Apple Silicon Mac mini.

1 Like

Movies, music, photos and particulars are on a NAS drive which is handy because I can easily watch something through the tv without moving external hard drives around and copying. Itā€™s a mirrored drive, so if one drive is corrupt, I buy a new one, insert it and I donā€™t lose anything (in theory, but havenā€™t experienced it yet). So no issue there.
Almost all my day to day docs are either on dropbox or one drive, so Iā€™m not too worried about that and itā€™s usually minimised to xls, word, type stuff.
The main reason I want the larger internal drive is anything I download (movies or other) or convert (old video tapes), I prefer keeping these on the computer before transferring them. If possible, I donā€™t want them writing / downloading directly to an external drive.

1 Like

I think thats the way to go. Get a beautiful monitor, good keyboard and a great mouse(logitech make some corkers).

Then get a mini if its a mac u want. Could even get a macbook etc.

The all in one solution, i have in a imac. Its nice. But i wouldnā€™t get again. Those ultra wide monitors are sĆ³ nice and you have much more flexibility on upgrade path.

1 Like

I have Mac Pros at home and work rather than iMacs because I donā€™t want to lose monitors when I change computers. Each Pro runs with 2 or 3 30" monitors.

Yeah, so go with mac mini plus BYO monitors. The only problem with the newer minis is they canā€™t be upgraded by the user. At least that was the case a few years ago - donā€™t know if Apple has changed that.

1 Like