Appliance Buying Guide: What's good and stuff

Starting this thread for advice on appliances (or any other products out there).

I’m in the market for a vacuum cleaner. Websites that review them haven’t been all that clear and the comments seem either contrived or a bit non-informative. I guess I’m looking for the best thing out there that can do both carpet and tiles, isn’t a ■■■■■■■ to pull around, can get into tight spaces and is easy to empty and put back together. Have had Dysons before but notice some bad reviews about them these days. Nothing overly descriptive though.

Tell me your experiences and which ones you reckon are the best out there!

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/whitegoods-appliances/vacuums-floor-cleaners/electrolux/electrolux-zuf4205af-bagless-vacuum/632256/

Bought a similar one to that 18 months ago and it’s been great. Very easy to move around and has like 6 heads for every surface.

There was a thread about Vacuum Cleaners on BB not too long ago

Starting this thread for advice on appliances (or any other products out there).

I’m in the market for a vacuum cleaner. Websites that review them haven’t been all that clear and the comments seem either contrived or a bit non-informative. I guess I’m looking for the best thing out there that can do both carpet and tiles, isn’t a ■■■■■■■ to pull around, can get into tight spaces and is easy to empty and put back together. Have had Dysons before but notice some bad reviews about them these days. Nothing overly descriptive though.

Tell me your experiences and which ones you reckon are the best out there!

Just bought an Electrolux UltraFlex Green - very good suction, and very quiet. Bagless, washable, easy to get at filters, and reasonably lightweight.

harveynorman.com.au/vacuum-laundry-appliances/vacuum-cleaners/electrolux-ultraflex-green-vacuum-cleaner.html

Electrolux hey. Thanks guys. Will take a good gander. Like the prices!

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/whitegoods-appliances/vacuums-floor-cleaners/electrolux/electrolux-zuf4205af-bagless-vacuum/632256/

Bought a similar one to that 18 months ago and it’s been great. Very easy to move around and has like 6 heads for every surface.

Thought I might as well make a thread for all appliances or products out there. Won’t be long before I’m looking for the next thing.

Thought I might as well make a thread for all appliances or products out there. Won’t be long before I’m looking for the next thing.

Was just about to say that. There was good advice in it too, IIRC.

I really like my Samsung freezer/fridge.
Both sides could be a little larger, but the water/ice dispenser is used constantly.
You’d have to
a) own your own house and,
b) not be the movey about type
…to make it worth attaching to your plumbing, but if that’s you then you’re mad not to, I reckon.

Google “the witecutter”, they rank the best of everything.

Google "the witecutter", they rank the best of everything.

Wow. That is a truly brilliant site! Thanks.

I pretty much buy whatever they recommend.

Has anyone else ever had issues with LG?

We’ve had a fridge and a dishwasher do motors, now got another dishwasher tripping the circuit breaker.

I doubt I will ever go LG again. Nothing but issues.

Have a Beko dryer and a Samsung washer. Very happy with both.

I typically avoid LG like the plague.

Wife had a stack of LG stuff when we met - TV, phone, washing machine - all have packed up and had to be replaced.

I typically avoid LG like the plague.

Wife had a stack of LG stuff when we met - TV, phone, washing machine - all have packed up and had to be replaced.

Their tv’s are pretty good these days, as are their phones. Don’t know about the domestic appliances though

Google’s latest Nexus phone is LG and is the only time I have considered an LG product. Still bought an HTC. Amazing how long bad experiences can stick with you.

Given the fact there are plenty of other choices anyway, I don’t really feel the need to consider them at all.

My brother has an LG Plasma that’s still going almost 10 years after buying it. Unheard of.

Every manufacturer makes lemons occasionally.

I bought a Hisense fridge out of desperation when the old one packed up and I needed one ASAP. Still running fine. By Jeez it makes some weird noises though. For the first 2 weeks I had it, at night I could swear I was hearing cows bellowing in the distance. I live nowhere near cows BTW.

The good: We got 10 years from our LG dishwasher and it cleaned well. The Caveat: i repaired it at least 6 times. Had i needed a technician it would have cost us a fortune.

Never again. We picked up the cheapest “Made in Germany” Bosch model and its been great. Very quiet and it cleans well.

My wifes family went with an Asko. Brilliant reviews, build quality is great but they arent super happy . Its not overly quiet, its expensive and they think it doesnt clean as well as our Bosch. Not as impressive as i thought it would be. It is the base model, but its still not cheap.

1 Like

For electronic stuff i have always had very good luck with National / Panasonic. I will pay extra to get the Pana version of two similar products.

I bought a Panasonic cd/tape stereo system in early 1991. Its still going strong, now lives in a dusty workshop/shed and has never missed a beat.

Also out in that shed is a pana bagged vacuum. It would now be almost 20 years old, its copped a beating as my work one for the last 10, being used on plaster dust, saw dust, whatever. I pulled the motor out once to clean the windings but other than that its been beaut.

I had a National clock radio from about 10 years old until very recently. Sure, not much to go wrong, very old tech, but 30 years!? It didnt survive wifey “accidentally” spilling a coffee mug on it though (after telling me how ugly it looked and "please get a new one. Hmmm…)

I have a National “walkman”. Never use it, but it still plays tapes.

Our main Tv is a Pana Vt series plasma. I love plasma over Led so when i saw Pana plasmas had the best rep it was a no brainer. Hopefully it keeps going because the closest to plasma these days is probably Oled and options are limited there.

2 Likes

National? Seriously, are they still around?

Thought they’d gone the way of Rankarena

Pretty sure they went out long ago … the point is Sal’s clock didn’t (until it didn’t fit with the new scatter cushions… )

1 Like