Appliance Buying Guide: What's good and stuff

Yeah, we’ve got a 75” and the main couch is roughly 3.5m away from it, and that works fine.
Also have it mounted up on the wall, so it’s tucked away a little. Recommended.

You’ll probably be fine with either, but I’d lean towards 65” ?

At $2k you’re gonna have some good options for top brands, top tech, etc.

Happy for you.

Don’t forget your monster HDMI cables, gold plated, surge proof, for as little as $399. :laughing:

JB used to make the same markup on a $200 cable as they do a $1200 TV

Very tight margins on TVs, pretty much everyone price matches as well so they’ve got very little wriggle room.

2 Likes

sony having to scroll through entire tv guide every day…

if menus don’t really matter to you and all you do is watch netflix/kayo/etc go for a picture that suits you and drop the rest into an apple tv/chromecast/what have you.

I like the idea of a wall mounted TV, dont like the idea of my fox cables, soundbar cables etc hanging down the wall

put more holes in the wall, or just run it all through a single conduit tube

1 Like

Renting, or your joint?

my joint

1 Like

I bought a bracket and the hdmi cable and had a bloke install it for what was probably $150. They use pretty neat cabling solutions and a wall socket. All I had to do was help him lift it onto the wall. You’ll have one local, it was probably even a ‘Jim’s’ guy.

Probably eating into your budget, but a nice installed tv with good cable management could still be done for $2K.

Get your cables and stuff from Jaycar or buy online/nick from work.

2nd this, … some are simply garbage.

I’ve got a 7yo 65inch Lg, picture still looks fantastic, JBL sounbar with big sub, turn the base level up to 5 and its enough to make the Mrs scream at me :grin:

How far away will you sitting from the TV?

With a 2K budget i’d look for a 60inch but a better spec model.

Great tip!

Remotes and menus are what you have to live with.

All the pictures look good when you get home and all the TVs sound is ■■■■.

Trying to go through this thread, does any particular brand win the interface award hands down?

I got myself some Sonos sound gear and I love that I can change channel and turn it on via Alexa. So the remotes don’t get such a workout. But sometimes you wanna check the FTA TV guide.

It amazes me that people put things like Alexa in their houses.

4 Likes

Basically nobody makes 60” these days
55” or 65” are your options

1 Like

Don’t know much about it, is it the same as Google home which I also know nothing about.
What’s the problem with Alexa or the tech?

Permanently listening to your conversations, (and other noises in your house) and sending the data back to Google\Amazon.

1 Like

What? How does that not contravene privacy laws.

Thanks for the explanation

I’m not a lawyer, but my understanding is that users consent to it when they set up the device and accept the eula, and a lot of “Help improve this service by sending lots more data back to the company” options are hidden deep within menus and are selected by default. There was a story a couple of years ago of a couple’s private conversation being recorded and sent to one of their contacts.

2 Likes