Appliance Buying Guide: What's good and stuff

I got a 50 and are plenty happy, … but one thing I discovered that I didn’t know, is that IF you ever want to watch 4K HD stuff, the equation for best viewing distance is different, & you actually have to sit much closer to the screen for the effect to work than non 4K stuff for optimal viewing, … so the bigger the screen, the more distance you can get from the TV.

Worked out on a 50, your eyes have to be about 4 or 5 feet from the screen for it to work, … nup.

1 Like

I want to see the floggings up close

1 Like

It’s a piece is strong really.

And the space you have.

I don’t have the need for one, but look for something that is wireless or easy to sync. Again, once you find what you want, or if unsure ozbargains is a good site to check.

Sorry to say this. If you’re female, going into a store to check them out, I think they’ll want to just sell you something at your price point, and be done with it. Get your research done and don’t take any ■■■■ from the sales guy.

just on soundbars, even a 3-400 one makes a HUGE difference. its unbelievable how much better quality it is over the TV speakers

1 Like

Agreed! I was also thinking to just skip the whole drama and get one from Aldi special buys the next time they have them. Hehehehe.

That’s within the budget!

LGs are the best, The CX is good but a bit above your budget, the BX isn’t as good but still the best of its class. If you can find the C9 or B9 for cheaper, go for it, it’s just last year’s model.

Or to give you a better idea, go to Rtings.com. They basically do all the testing for you and break it down by use case (e.g. some TVs will be better for gamers who are input lag sensitive, others better for sports due to the motion, others for movies etc. etc.).

Depends, how big’s your room?

We had a 50” in a smallish bedroom once, it was stupid big.

85” (I think) now in the lounge room, fits fine.
Find out the width of a 75” vs 85” (or whatever) and measure it out on your wall.

When you’re in the shop, get them to bring out a remote and have a run through the menus. Some of the menus are a lot better than others - slower/less responsive, less intuitive. Some of them (cough Samsung) push ads at you in the menus.

We’ve ended up with LGs, FWIW. They’re pretty good.

1 Like

Also what SMJ said… well yeah pretty much the opposite of that.

The tech is very mature and until VR there won’t be any real quantum leaps in standards or quality (i.e. 4K is the last resolution increase that matters, HDR is good but already pretty prominent). Fund your budget as best you can, spend the money now, and hang on for way longer with your good quality TV (10+ years) rather than being a consumerist POS who flips $2k TVs every 4 years because their old one is “long in the tooth” but never really gets anything better

1 Like

Ha. Look, I’m no audiophile, but I’m tipping Aldi sound bar shouldn’t be the centrepiece of your home cinema…

I reckon for a little more $ you could get a decent run out model from the big names.

I was blown away by the oomph that some of the ones on display had when I was at JB a little while ago. They have demo modes set up, so go in and check it out.

Alternatively you can get HTIB (home theatre in a box), but wires etc and speakers everywhere. Or, go bigger with receiver etc. my 3.0 AV set up is perfect for me, but you have to throttle it to get the immersive sound, and the whole damn neighbourhood is gonna hear it. I almost bought a sub a couple years back because it matched my speakers, it weighed 52kilos. Heavier than the wife!! (I think)

1 Like

Thank you for the good advice. This might be my winter project. I’m too busy researching clothes atm :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FWIW, I’m really happy with my Hisense TV (55inch)
Going on 4.5 years now.

They come with 3 years Warranty, whilst I believe most of the other name brands are only 1 year.

JB had the 75 incher for sale Boxing Day for $1460ish.
That’s a lot of screen for the price, and I am quite picky on picture quality.

1 Like

A DC Vornado floor fan or too.

You can pass on the savings to your power bills in winter and summer will thank me.

Does it play netflix or nah?

Don’t be a consumerist POS, spend 5 grand on a television?!

All good mate, reasonable minds can and should differ :grin:

1 Like

I currently have a hisense, and its been a great tv

when I say great, I mean it hasn’t broken. I have NFI about tvs, they all look the same to me

3 Likes

300$ sound bar vs 10 $2 speakers in a 2k tv.

The risk with such sites is that you never knew you wanted (insert something that you’d never thought about previously) for 50% off… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Go in the shop, there’s a little bit of difference between most of them, when you’re directly comparing.

But it doesn’t matter that much if you get the $1300 LG that you thought looked good, or the $1400 Sony that you thought looked slightly better.
They’re not both going to be sitting next to each other in your lounge room: literally the only time you think about which is better is then and there, when you’re choosing.

Whereas something like menus being super slow or the remote being crap has the capability to ■■■■ you off every time you need to change channel in the next 5+ years.

2 Likes

the room its in isn’t overly big. at a guess, your 2.5m away from the TV? so perhaps 65 is good. im suprised in store at how much bigger the 75 looks than a 65