Are we mortgaging our future to entice suspended players back?

Dont you mean cold, hard and totally illogical but same as usual position from Ants.

ok wheres our flag?

we’ve done the whole back our boys, trust the coaches and pretty much everything essendon does it gospel. Where are our rewards for it? we got a drug saga, a scandal and set back another 5 years.

ants has given the topic some thought and rationalised their position what the ■■■■ have you done? a flippant pissant remark.

That’s harsh Barnz.

And I think we are getting ahead of ourselves a bit. The kids look good, but so did some of them that were drafted by knights and sheeds. Give it time, we definitely need the 12 back, even if it’s just a chop out to some of the younger kids.

just sick of the ‘the club will be fine, its in good hands.’ but there is nothing quantifiable that says its the case. this thread is extremely valid. Why would we want pears to be part of our future hes constantly injured. Myers hasn’;t played in 30 months. We’re in the middle of a rebuild and some of the players coming back will slow down our playing speed. Honestly if hooker or the like want to leave, we give them our blessing a boost to the settlement bonus and we can rebuild with more top draft picks.

I feel like the club needs to commit to a proper rebuild and not cut corners for sentimentality.

CJohns, I agree the list is building back up quicker than certainly I expected. It is making me reconsider how long off a window might be. But there were two paragraphs I want to pick up on.
..... 2017 for me will likely have the strongest playing list at Essendon since 2001 I would suggest. We have genuinely found 5 quality players already this year with the likes of Fantasia, Parish, Tippa. Langford & Leuenberger …not to mention we have Francis and Laverde still to come having injuries. No doubt a big weakness of ours in recent years was guys being able to break the lines with genuine speed so we can’t under estimate how big Tippa, Fantasia and Parish growth is for us….especially with overnight news of Colyer remaining and Zach Merrett becoming a star.

You need a deep midfield of about 10 players rotating through your team like the Hawks have shown so in 2017 our midfield could be Watson, Zaharakis, Myers, Heppell, Z. Merrett, Parish, Laverde, Colyer, Hocking & Fantasia. Now if that doesn’t get you excited not much will. It allows smart older Midfield players to setup in other parts of the ground to help fill gaps like Goddard, Stanton etc. Down back it gets even better, Hibberd, Hurley, Tippa, Gleeson, Baguley and Hartley. This setup allows what I think the club to do a strategic move to boost the forward setup. Francis is a very good forward as well as back and I know before CAS they were thinking of him as a forward…no doubt marking and reading the play is his strength. So now you can setup a forward line of Daniher, Francis, Hooker, Redman. If anything we are probably 1-2 smart small forwards short but hoping Eades can come on to fill one of those spots. We will have a low draft pick next year so will be interesting if they target a trade or kid.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks 2017 will be our strongest year is being extremely optimistic. In 2013 we had Ryder, Fletcher, Carlisle, Crameri, Winderlich, Davey who have all left. Goddard, Stanton and Watson were all late twenties in age and at their peak. Dempsey, Belly and Myers had career best years, yet to be replicated. The team is not going to be in that same space next year, even with JD coming on, Heppell older and the kids you listed.

And those were mostly kids you listed in the first paragraph I quoted. Fantasia, Parish, Zerrett and Tippa are all looking good. But nobody is taking them seriously yet. Nobody is setting out to stop Zerrett and take him out of the game. Nobody has analysed Fantasia, Parish, Gleeson, Hartley, Brown or Tippa’s games and said “here is how we nullify them”. At the moment, we’re chalked down as a win, and minimal work goes into us. That will change, and those players may or may not overcome it. They also haven’t shown the consistency you need to be sure things (well, Zerrett aside). Others like Langford haven’t yet proven anything, let alone guys not yet even in the side or played. Francis could go the same way as most #6 picks - be a dud. Hopefully not, but banking on him now is ridiculous. Same with Redman and others. How many hopes were pinned on Kav, Gumby, Melksham and Pears?

On the second paragraph I quoted, the idea that some of the older players can play in positions that don’t suit them is absolutely uncertain. Howlett has had limited impact outside the centre square. Same with Stanton.

So in summary, I think you’re being way optimistic. :stuck_out_tongue:

see nothing about it being extremely optimistic. We have had a poor list from 2002 onwards and I have no issue in my opinion believeing the list next year if 12 come back would be strongest for a year since then. I obviously don’t assume they are all best 22 either but depth is very strong. I would suggest Ryder and Fletcher are the notable structural players who have left and the others you mentioned were good solid players only. Tagging is no longer a big part of the game so I don’t see your issue of no one targeting Zerrett yet. Todays game is more one on one than previous years. Francis I will back in when fit…not sure why that’s ridiculous but your call. Dodoro rates him just as impressive as Parish I do know.

4 x All Australians come into the side next year might i add. Including also Hibberd who was unlucky not to be All Austrlaia a few years back. Had a year of injuries and tough times mentally so a year off will no doubt freshen up their bodies and minds. I expect their mind to be very sharp and focused which is half the battle on playing good footy. This is the key. Its when these guys and the club are at a good place mentally which has not been the case for sometime.

I expect guys like Gwilt and Cooney to have their last year so age of group has a reasonable balance.

This young team smashed Geelong in clearances on the weekend. I am comfortable in my optimism.

CJohns, I agree the list is building back up quicker than certainly I expected. It is making me reconsider how long off a window might be. But there were two paragraphs I want to pick up on.
..... 2017 for me will likely have the strongest playing list at Essendon since 2001 I would suggest. We have genuinely found 5 quality players already this year with the likes of Fantasia, Parish, Tippa. Langford & Leuenberger …not to mention we have Francis and Laverde still to come having injuries. No doubt a big weakness of ours in recent years was guys being able to break the lines with genuine speed so we can’t under estimate how big Tippa, Fantasia and Parish growth is for us….especially with overnight news of Colyer remaining and Zach Merrett becoming a star.

You need a deep midfield of about 10 players rotating through your team like the Hawks have shown so in 2017 our midfield could be Watson, Zaharakis, Myers, Heppell, Z. Merrett, Parish, Laverde, Colyer, Hocking & Fantasia. Now if that doesn’t get you excited not much will. It allows smart older Midfield players to setup in other parts of the ground to help fill gaps like Goddard, Stanton etc. Down back it gets even better, Hibberd, Hurley, Tippa, Gleeson, Baguley and Hartley. This setup allows what I think the club to do a strategic move to boost the forward setup. Francis is a very good forward as well as back and I know before CAS they were thinking of him as a forward…no doubt marking and reading the play is his strength. So now you can setup a forward line of Daniher, Francis, Hooker, Redman. If anything we are probably 1-2 smart small forwards short but hoping Eades can come on to fill one of those spots. We will have a low draft pick next year so will be interesting if they target a trade or kid.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks 2017 will be our strongest year is being extremely optimistic. In 2013 we had Ryder, Fletcher, Carlisle, Crameri, Winderlich, Davey who have all left. Goddard, Stanton and Watson were all late twenties in age and at their peak. Dempsey, Belly and Myers had career best years, yet to be replicated. The team is not going to be in that same space next year, even with JD coming on, Heppell older and the kids you listed.

And those were mostly kids you listed in the first paragraph I quoted. Fantasia, Parish, Zerrett and Tippa are all looking good. But nobody is taking them seriously yet. Nobody is setting out to stop Zerrett and take him out of the game. Nobody has analysed Fantasia, Parish, Gleeson, Hartley, Brown or Tippa’s games and said “here is how we nullify them”. At the moment, we’re chalked down as a win, and minimal work goes into us. That will change, and those players may or may not overcome it. They also haven’t shown the consistency you need to be sure things (well, Zerrett aside). Others like Langford haven’t yet proven anything, let alone guys not yet even in the side or played. Francis could go the same way as most #6 picks - be a dud. Hopefully not, but banking on him now is ridiculous. Same with Redman and others. How many hopes were pinned on Kav, Gumby, Melksham and Pears?

On the second paragraph I quoted, the idea that some of the older players can play in positions that don’t suit them is absolutely uncertain. Howlett has had limited impact outside the centre square. Same with Stanton.

see nothing about it being extremely optimistic. We have had a poor list from 2002 onwards and I have no issue in my opinion believeing the list next year if 12 come back would be strongest for a year since then. I obviously don’t assume they are all best 22 either but depth is very strong. I would suggest Ryder and Fletcher are the notable structural players who have left and the others you mentioned were good solid players only. Tagging is no longer a big part of the game so I don’t see your issue of no one targeting Zerrett yet. Todays game is more one on one than previous years. Francis I will back in when fit…not sure why that’s ridiculous but your call. Dodoro rates him just as impressive as Parish I do know.

4 x All Australians come into the side next year might i add. Including also Hibberd who was unlucky not to be All Austrlaia a few years back. Had a year of injuries and tough times mentally so a year off will no doubt freshen up their bodies and minds. I expect their mind to be very sharp and focused which is half the battle on playing good footy. This is the key. Its when these guys and the club are at a good place mentally which has not been the case for sometime.

I expect guys like Gwilt and Cooney to have their last year so age of group has a reasonable balance.

This young team smashed Geelong in clearances on the weekend. I am comfortable in my optimism.

and did what with it?

hooker comes back and goes forward and we’re what? 2-3 goals better?

Yawn… empty vessels & all that …

Yawn.. empty vessels & all that ...

please tell me how it will work out. go on genius.

We are rebuilding a football club not an AFL team. They’re welcome back.

It is an investment in the future. When the club is strong it will be far easier to recruit the “gun” players & keep those we develop. The alternative is we become Melbourne, a club with no soul that players drift through like a wind blown carpark.

I agree with the OP.

at least as far as saying we shouldn’t do anything to get back suspended player Ryder.

We are rebuilding a football club not an AFL team. They're welcome back.

It is an investment in the future. When the club is strong it will be far easier to recruit the “gun” players & keep those we develop. The alternative is we become Melbourne, a club with no soul that players drift through like a wind blown carpark.

Agree - also the club making every effort to get the 12 back sends a very strong, positive signal to the young talent on our list from a loyalty perspective.

Come through thick and thin and the club will look after you.

Dont you mean cold, hard and totally illogical but same as usual position from Ants.

ok wheres our flag?

we’ve done the whole back our boys, trust the coaches and pretty much everything essendon does it gospel. Where are our rewards for it? we got a drug saga, a scandal and set back another 5 years.

ants has given the topic some thought and rationalised their position what the ■■■■ have you done? a flippant pissant remark.

You are a constant as well Barnz. The sky is falling!

What farking rewards do you need ? I got rewarded last Saturday by a Team that tried its bum off. Most determined effort I have seen by a Bomber Team for many years.

And I get rewarded by watching JoeDan, Zerrett, Raz, Walla, Parish, The Langford and knowing that next year when Francis, Laverde, O’Meara, Patton and the 12 are firing along with the rest of the group that a flag is not far away.

Yep I am an optimist, but better than be a miserable streak of misery like some others.

You need a deep midfield of about 10 players rotating through your team like the Hawks have shown so in 2017 our midfield could be Watson, Zaharakis, Myers, Heppell, Z. Merrett, Parish, Laverde, Colyer, Hocking & Fantasia. Now if that doesn’t get you excited not much will. It allows smart older Midfield players to setup in other parts of the ground to help fill gaps like Goddard, Stanton etc. Down back it gets even better, Hibberd, Hurley, Tippa, Gleeson, Baguley and Hartley. This setup allows what I think the club to do a strategic move to boost the forward setup. Francis is a very good forward as well as back and I know before CAS they were thinking of him as a forward…no doubt marking and reading the play is his strength. So now you can setup a forward line of Daniher, Francis, Hooker, Redman. If anything we are probably 1-2 smart small forwards short but hoping Eades can come on to fill one of those spots. We will have a low draft pick next year so will be interesting if they target a trade or kid…

see nothing about it being extremely optimistic. We have had a poor list from 2002 onwards and I have no issue in my opinion believing the list next year if 12 come back would be strongest for a year since then. I obviously don't assume they are all best 22 either but depth is very strong. I would suggest Ryder and Fletcher are the notable structural players who have left and the others you mentioned were good solid players only. Tagging is no longer a big part of the game so I don't see your issue of no one targeting Zerrett yet. Todays game is more one on one than previous years. Francis I will back in when fit...not sure why that's ridiculous but your call. Dodoro rates him just as impressive as Parish I do know.

4 x All Australians come into the side next year might i add. Including also Hibberd who was unlucky not to be All Australia a few years back. Had a year of injuries and tough times mentally so a year off will no doubt freshen up their bodies and minds. I expect their mind to be very sharp and focused which is half the battle on playing good footy. This is the key. Its when these guys and the club are at a good place mentally which has not been the case for sometime.

Reading that CJohns, it's clear we're coming from a very different view on the list now and in the past. I thought 2013 to 2015 our list was good enough to challenge. Not necessarily to win - Hawthorn was a damn good side - but good enough to be right up there. IMO the saga wrecked that, but the talent was there. So for me, to say we'll be as good in 2017 as that team is a huge leap of faith. To write off players like Winderlich and Carlisle as "good solid players" only is, IMO, ridiculous. As much as I think getting Winders to stay on in 2015 was wrong, I completely understand why they did it. Since Davey left, we've only had two players with seasons who averaged more goals per game (JD both years, Carlisle 2014).

I’m not sure how that some of the returning players are AA or close makes any difference. Their return resets us to the 2015 list when they were there. The 2015 list minus Carlisle, minus ageing and/or getting rusty, offset by the improvement in the kids + Leuenberger. Will they be better than 2015? Probably. How far was the 2015 side off being a contender? Miles.

I know there is a lot of view that players will come back determined, clean of mind and spirit, and it will give us a big boost. But last year, when we’d won the saga, before WADA appealed, we had about 7 games. Even allowing for rust at the start, we were ordinary. So I’m not sure what drives this view. Against that we also have the possibility guys will come back rusty and take a while to get back up to speed.

After all that, I find it funny that you’re suggesting probably our best or second best defender this year should be delisted. Gwilt has been critical to our defence, and you want him gone? But heh, he’s not one of the 12 so he can be discarded despite form, right?

Whatever it takes

Some people have short memories. I was one of the ones arguing before 2014 and 2015 that the side was strong enough to challenge. But oh no, I've always been a misery guts.
Some people have short memories. I was one of the ones arguing before 2014 and 2015 that the side was strong enough to challenge. But oh no, I've always been a misery guts.

Even back then you were a real hard case on players and coaches. You call it being realistic and while actually history has proved you mostly correct, I would rather be an happy optimistic who gets disappointed, than a pessimist who is then disappointed when they get it right !

We all just want the Team to win.

I am struggling to see how Stanton gets played ,assuming Fantasia continues his development and Colyer returns in decent form. Unfortunately Stanton lacks flexibility in where he can play - It will be an interesting 2017.

In reference to Ant’s post - You need to separate the group into contracted and uncontrcated players uncontracted - My understanding is 6 out of 12 are contracted and the other six are uncontracted - My expectation is all contracted players will return and who knows with the uncontracted players , though I hold firm that we don’t need all six back.

You need a deep midfield of about 10 players rotating through your team like the Hawks have shown so in 2017 our midfield could be Watson, Zaharakis, Myers, Heppell, Z. Merrett, Parish, Laverde, Colyer, Hocking & Fantasia. Now if that doesn’t get you excited not much will. It allows smart older Midfield players to setup in other parts of the ground to help fill gaps like Goddard, Stanton etc. Down back it gets even better, Hibberd, Hurley, Tippa, Gleeson, Baguley and Hartley. This setup allows what I think the club to do a strategic move to boost the forward setup. Francis is a very good forward as well as back and I know before CAS they were thinking of him as a forward…no doubt marking and reading the play is his strength. So now you can setup a forward line of Daniher, Francis, Hooker, Redman. If anything we are probably 1-2 smart small forwards short but hoping Eades can come on to fill one of those spots. We will have a low draft pick next year so will be interesting if they target a trade or kid…

see nothing about it being extremely optimistic. We have had a poor list from 2002 onwards and I have no issue in my opinion believing the list next year if 12 come back would be strongest for a year since then. I obviously don't assume they are all best 22 either but depth is very strong. I would suggest Ryder and Fletcher are the notable structural players who have left and the others you mentioned were good solid players only. Tagging is no longer a big part of the game so I don't see your issue of no one targeting Zerrett yet. Todays game is more one on one than previous years. Francis I will back in when fit...not sure why that's ridiculous but your call. Dodoro rates him just as impressive as Parish I do know.

4 x All Australians come into the side next year might i add. Including also Hibberd who was unlucky not to be All Australia a few years back. Had a year of injuries and tough times mentally so a year off will no doubt freshen up their bodies and minds. I expect their mind to be very sharp and focused which is half the battle on playing good footy. This is the key. Its when these guys and the club are at a good place mentally which has not been the case for sometime.

Reading that CJohns, it's clear we're coming from a very different view on the list now and in the past. I thought 2013 to 2015 our list was good enough to challenge. Not necessarily to win - Hawthorn was a damn good side - but good enough to be right up there. IMO the saga wrecked that, but the talent was there. So for me, to say we'll be as good in 2017 as that team is a huge leap of faith. To write off players like Winderlich and Carlisle as "good solid players" only is, IMO, ridiculous. As much as I think getting Winders to stay on in 2015 was wrong, I completely understand why they did it. Since Davey left, we've only had two players with seasons who averaged more goals per game (JD both years, Carlisle 2014).

I’m not sure how that some of the returning players are AA or close makes any difference. Their return resets us to the 2015 list when they were there. The 2015 list minus Carlisle, minus ageing and/or getting rusty, offset by the improvement in the kids + Leuenberger. Will they be better than 2015? Probably. How far was the 2015 side off being a contender? Miles.

I know there is a lot of view that players will come back determined, clean of mind and spirit, and it will give us a big boost. But last year, when we’d won the saga, before WADA appealed, we had about 7 games. Even allowing for rust at the start, we were ordinary. So I’m not sure what drives this view. Against that we also have the possibility guys will come back rusty and take a while to get back up to speed.

After all that, I find it funny that you’re suggesting probably our best or second best defender this year should be delisted. Gwilt has been critical to our defence, and you want him gone? But heh, he’s not one of the 12 so he can be discarded despite form, right?

By the way it’s an interesting debate and I see both sides. so Ants I have no issue with your thoughts. I am an optimist by nature as well but I do see things this way myself. Gwilt is a tough call but there will be tough calls made at the end of the year after we have offered all 12 at least a 1 year extension. So this is if ALL 12 comeback. If that happend and part of that is Hibberd, Pears, Hooker and Hurley then I believe myself some very hard list management decisions will be made…and some guys who will be 30+ in age maybe let go to balance the list in age and variety. Just my view. I agree Gwilt has been fantastic but just how I see it. Dea i think the club have really embraced so some very tough calls coming. I think Stants can play forward but I agree not that easy for a spot for him with his age and I did feel he lost a bit of pace last year…but he reads the play very well and no one works harder to get open and support team. I dont put too much on the AFL tribunal decision and our form afterwards which was better than I think you thought. It was pretty exhausting even just having the decision not known go over the Christmas break. We also had a serious lack of pace besides Colyer which I think has been a highlight in finding some guys this year. To me our forward structure is now the only real concern for 2017. I had Hooker and Francis helping Joe and I think all 3 are known for marking and would help Joe immensly be more potent as currently we just have 2-3 defenders leaving players to swamp Joe. If Hooker is up there it not only gives Hooker 3 goals but gives Joe less defenders to beat to have more of an impact.

Agree on the forward line.

But for me we need to find the small forwards. If Hooker is back, tall forward problem solved.

Really hoping we can find a goal-sneak small, and a couple of uber talented HFF’s

It’s definitely a legitimate discussion. We will have given players from Parish right up to Zaharakis exposure that they otherwise would not have got in normal circumstances. And there will be growth and development as a result of this- as players and as leaders.
As a result we are in a unique position to shape our list going forward with a handful of very good players to add to our best team.
Ideally Heppell, Watson, Hooker, Hurley, Hibberd, Myers and possibly Tbell as well as the already re-signed Hocking and Colyer are part of this ‘mix’.

But a list spot is a very valuable thing. People saying 'nah I don’t care at all we still MUST give Pears, Howlett, Stanton spots back on the list may be underestimating that this may prevent 3 young guys who have their careers in front of them from coming to the club through the draft or other means. Luke Parker, Fantasia, Jack Lonie are all examples of guys taken after pick 40 in recent years for example.
To what extent do we hand list spots to guys who we KNOW are limited footballers ‘just cos’ when we could be getting new blood into the club who could be legitimately part of our rebuild and be 10 year players for us?
I do hope we certainly get the majority of the players back as I think most deserve their spot on the list but not all, if we are committed to regenerating our list.
Interesting debate!
Go Dons.

Has Pears been seen training at all?

Orange wedges seem to be a preference

Hasnt been trainng recently