Assistant Coaches

Has anyone actually got any good reasons why we hate skipworth?

Has anyone actually got any good reasons why we persevere with Skipworth?

Or to make it easier, has anyone actually got any good examples of the great coaching abilities shown by Skipworth? (Excluding of course his cooking lessons early on).

Because of his funny name

Because he is quietly spoken, a gentleman, and isn’t here to defend himself.

Or to make it easier, has anyone actually got any good examples of the great coaching abilities shown by Skipworth? (Excluding of course his cooking lessons early on).

Been through several regimes so far, I’d say either he is an amazing self salesman, cheap or actually respected as a quality coach. Could also be varying combos of those options.

I don’t know a lot about what Skipworth does off the field and have little idea about whether he’s worth holding onto or not.

Having said that though, blind Skipworth opponents might want to have a look at how well a very young forward line functioned towards the end of the year. I’d start with rd 23 against Carlton.

I don't know a lot about what Skipworth does off the field and have little idea about whether he's worth holding onto or not.

Having said that though, blind Skipworth opponents might want to have a look at how well a very young forward line functioned towards the end of the year. I’d start with rd 23 against Carlton.

Took 23 weeks plus to perform wow that was worth it
I don't know a lot about what Skipworth does off the field and have little idea about whether he's worth holding onto or not.

Took 23 weeks plus to perform wow that was worth it
You do remember what happened this year right?

I don’t have any examples but there must be enough to keep him around.

He has survived Knights, Hird, Thompson, Hird and now Worsfold as coaches. As well as a handful of Footy Operation GMs (and other coaching gurus) and a couple of CEOs. He must be going something right for all those people to want to keep him around.

The reason Blitz doesn’t like him is because he is vanilla. He was a vanilla player and is now a vanilla coach.

At Essendon, we prefer vanilla to big fish.

We need lemon-y coaches.

All I know is he can seriously knock back a beer, as seen at the Melbourne Cup call of the card two years ago.

Harding joins Bombers
Simon Conway October 24, 2016 3:39 PM

Newsletter
RSS

BTV: Welcome Rob Harding Essendon welcome new Game Intel and Opposition Strategy Coach Rob Harding to the club.
Essendon has appointed Rob Harding as its new Game Intelligence and Opposition Strategy Coach.

Harding joins the Bombers after working in the AFL for the last decade, most recently at Adelaide Crows.

Alongside John Worsfold and Mark Neeld, he’ll play a key role in formulating Essendon’s game day strategy and opposition analysis.

“The opportunity to work with John Worsfold was really exciting for me,” Harding said.

“This is a massive Club and I’m really excited by the prospect of being involved on ANZAC Day, there are so many members and supporters.

“The opportunity to come back to Victoria, where I’m from originally, work for a big Victorian Club is too good to pass up.”

Harding says there is a natural temptation to implement the game plan of the reigning premier.

But the key is taking part of that strategy and then adding further layers to it.

“The great challenge for every club is to not try and copy what has just been successful but to try and get ahead of the game and move to the next level,” Harding said.

“We’ll look at what the Bulldogs did really well, what Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong do really well and we might take bits of that.

“But we’ll also look at how we can beat that and go to the next stage.

“The Bulldogs with their ability to run and carry is outstanding, Hawthorn is still a great side, Geelong – the way they move the ball and the way they defend – so there is a lot to look at.

“I think the game is going to go in a couple of different directions – it’s going to be interesting to see which way it goes.

“Looking through the team, there are so many guys that played a large number of games last year and there will be great competition for spots with the guys returning as well.

“It’s a great time for the footy club and I’m really excited to be involved with it.”

More By Simon Conway

Follow SimonConway12

“The great challenge for every club is to not try and copy what has just been successful but to try and get ahead of the game and move to the next level,” Harding said.
I like him already.
Where have I heard that before

Strategy 1: If he can get our forwards to kick straight I’ll be a big supporter.

1 Like

Surname starts with H. Like.

Where have I heard that before

Still better than “Hawthorn did it”

Who Hardingham replace ?

Great hire

Was listening in on Skipworth chatting to Nathan Basset at the Union last year about the development of a number of players in his group. I was really impressed by his insight and plans.