At the movies - From the couch

I’ve watched a few on planes recently. The best was a Norwegian movie called The Worst Person in the World. It was a few weeks ago and I don’t remember a lot about it – it’s really just about 4 years in the life of a young woman – but it’s very observant and constantly interesting.

Overnight I started to watch Blade Runner 2049 for the second time. I watched all of it the first time and thought it was very poor. This time I got through two if its three hours, and there were parts of it that I thought were okay, but at the two hour mark when there was yet another completely unbelievable plot twist I realised I was just not interested enough to watch any more of it. One thing I did learn was that Harrison Ford is 20 times the actor that Ryan Gosling will ever be.

So having given up on BR2049 I watched The Dark Night Rises. I got to the end of this one, but really it was just a waste of nearly 3 hours of my life. Why are these films so bloated? When I was a kid buying Batman comics that I bought with my pocket money, I would read the comic from beginning to end in about 30 minutes at most and then read it again about 10 times before the next one came out. That’s all that the story merits. Why do the films need to be 3 hours long? I don’t watch the comic book movies very often – virtually never, really – and each time I do I promise I’ll never watch another one. I only watched this one because the movies on Thai Airways are all rubbish.

That’s how we got Thorburn

Pretty sure Hitler banned the original movie in Germany

Yep - he did.
I’m still trying to find some time to watch it.
Bloody kids!

1 Like

Paths of Glory is a great film

2 Likes

A hard felt victory.
Is the warriors destiny.

Paths of glory.

1 Like

The paths of glory lead but to the grave

1 Like

I really enjoyed The Woman King. Had a bit of everything, couple of funny moments, good action, good acting, good emotion. Only missing one thing imo

1 Like

James Cameron’s obsession with water knows no ends

1 Like

Watched Morbius last night.

There’s an hour and a half I won’t be getting back.

Absolute garbage

2 Likes

I watched Motherless Brooklyn last night…I bought the DVD almost two years ago on sale and had never gotten around to watching it.

For those of you who are after movie without all the big bangs and CGI or those who like a well told story with some great acting…you should give this a watch.

Edward Norton is superb in it (as he is in most things) as a private eye with Tourette’s and OCD.

If you haven’t watched it, I highly recommend you do so.

2 Likes

The wife and l watched it last week. We enjoyed it. One of the things l found most enjoyable was the soundtrack, with lots of percussion and fascinating rhythms.

1 Like

It’s not like you weren’t warned…

1 Like

Yeah I thought the score was top notch. I love that African style music

1 Like

Ain’t it the worst? Blatant visual rip offs of the Dark Knight, and music to boot. Such a waste of an opportunity and a solid cast.

Morbidity more like it.

2 Likes

100% agree.

Will give it a look when I have some time.

1 Like

One of the best movies I’ve watched lately.

1 Like

So it’s better than the original?

I haven’t seen either of the other two film adaptations nor read the book. From what I’ve read, significant changes were made to some scenes and events but the message and tone remained faithful.

The latest iteration of Im Western Nicht Neues is a fantastic movie which conveys the futility and horror of war. As a movie it’s great.